Collecting Traditions

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Collecting Traditions

Post by KinoLRB »

I was wondering if anybody out there had any cel related traditions they'd like to share?

As for myself, I usually update my gallery as soon as I get a new item, but for the last third of the year,from October through December, I save up my acquisitions and do a big update, usually on Christmas or a few days after. I've done this the last two years and I plan to do it again for 2015.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Collecting Traditions

Post by JWR »

I have in the past tended to hold off updates till certain dates such as 3/24 which is our wedding anniversary but was also our one cat Snowball's birthday. (so hard to believe she crossed over the rainbow bridge 6 years ago) also birthdays and Christmas seemed to get an update.
Recently due to some large purchases such as the Volks Holy Bell statue as well as doing work on our home as well as just a pure lack of decent artwork on YJ there has not been many things to update. I have gotten a nice comic art piece and another Girls Bravo piece in transit. So I may well have a small update later this month.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

The minute I get a new box I unpack it, cels get scanned right away and put away... The sketches go into a pile until I can deal with them, I have been lately having to update in bursts and have been lazy the last few days. Sketch sets are a lot harder to dissect and there is more to scan... ^_^

I also do a rebag/repaper every few years which usually takes me a few months of work. Other traditions include, trading Cel gifts with my closest collector friends, and running some of the Events on Beta!

*Shameless PIMP* :pimp :pimp Send me entries for the Cel CONTEST!! ^_^
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

There was a time when I gave up browsing auctions for Lent. I'd backslide once or twice and look, but never actually bid (oh, well ... once). Then on Holy Saturday, when the priest would release us from our vows of abstinence, I'd hutch home and open up the browser. That would set up a bigger-than-usual splashy "May Madness" update when the new stuff all came in.

I still do hold back in the spring, but actually it's been much less of a temptation lately, so the tradition doesn't hold as much force or meaning any more. And the May update isn't nearly as mad as it used to be in the Aughties.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I get up half awake to bid on the ending auctions if I think they are important...afterwards I go back to bed. If I won, pleasant dreams, and if I lose out I can just sleep it off.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

...it's so quiet on the boards...

Times of year that I traditionally update -

La Befana - This is the Italian version of what Christmas has become in the US, and is the day that many Italians receive and give gifts. I always try to do something around this time to celebrate the good witch's gift giving journey.

Lunar New Year - This is a thematic update, usually consisting of New Year's Postcards and artwork with either the animal for that year and/or the element. This year's animal is a Fire Monkey, so expect to see some fiery artwork around February 8. This is perhaps my favorite update of the year because New Year's Postcards are some of my favorite things to collect.

My birthday - For obvious reasons, this update will include an item or two that I very much love. I probably update with some of the nicest items of the year during my birthday.

Halloween/Day of the Dead - In keeping with the gallery theme, I try to celebrate either day with a darker theme. I usually alternate between years, so some years I'll update before or on Halloween, and others, the following day, November 1 for Day of the Dead.

Other than that, I don't have habits, auction rituals, etc.