Bringing Cel Collecting into the 21st Century and etc.

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Re: Bringing Cel Collecting into the 21st Century and etc.

Post by zerospace »

*attempts to exude positive vibes* :rollin Yeah, I stink at that. *snort* I've never really been a cheerleader, sorry girlie! X|

JD: What I meant when I said "wiki" was simply to mean a user-contributed info section where collectors can share information about the hobby with other collectors. That's really all I meant when using the term "wiki". ;) There is info like this out there, but it's scattered about. Perhaps pulling it all together would make things simpler so that newbies don't have to keep asking questions like "what's a 'bank' cel?", when that question has been answered a few bazillion times in buried threads here. I thought it might be useful to start something like that just so the community has somewhere to fill it all in at its leisure and then use it for future reference. Ads are NOT necessarily a part of a wiki -- I don't want to see ads on this site at all, personally. If that steps on the technical site thing that was being discussed, I'm sorry. I haven't been following that thread at all.

cutiebunny wrote:I'm all for encouraging Maxidious to also create his own website, whether that be an RS-ish type site or whatever else he wants to do. Just because one project is going on, doesn't mean otjer projects shouldn't happen. Putting his creative juices into something would be good, and may lead to another alternative to hosting on other sites that others may want to use instead. I want to see what you come up with as well, Max, even if you just decide to make an awesome gallery for yourself. Don't let this thread discourage you from this hobby and what you want out of it.
I don't think anyone ever told Max not to do it. If they did, I missed it. I simply was irritated that he seemed to be running off all lone-wolf not only with his idea, but mine, too, as well as hijacking the thread relating to my idea (it was me who asked either JD or CB to start this thread if they wanted to run with my idea as posted on RS -- my idea had nothing to do with creating a replacement for RS, which is what Max is/was suggesting). If he wants to start a thread here somewhere about making a new gallery hosting site, more power to him. I won't get in his way. I just don't want anything to do with that particular project, so the two need not co-exist in the same thread.
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

zerospace wrote:
Seeing as I've never used Instagram myself, your insight on how it works would likely be useful! ;)
Basically you post a lot of pictures and people can like them and comment on them. You can follow people and see everything they post, kind of like the timeline on FB, but it's all just pictures, instead of statuses. Whenever you post a picture, you add a bunch of keywords (tags) with # in front of each one. When somebody does a search for that particular tag, all the pictures that contain that tag are shown.

It's a fun app, and I mainly use it to network for cosplay purposes, although I have posted some art I've done on it and my collection items. I've found a few friends through it. I did a search for #animecel on there, and there's only 171 posts, so there are some people sharing their cels on there!
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

Sounds like a great project because this hobby is cool and needs to be represented online in a relevant, up-to-date way.

Now, I'm not up on modern technology. Only got my first smart-phone and joined Facebook last year. BUT I see the importance of a site that encompasses modern social media at its core and I'd like to be part of it.
As this thread has progressed and several discussions were running concurrently, I got a little lost as to what a new 'cel' site would actually be. Will it be a place that enables users to create & maintain a gallery? This is what I would want but with all the bells and whistles of modern convenience and networking. I know this is a big project and would have cost implications.
Examples of Convenience: quick image uploading/resizing options, cross-compatability on computers/tablets/phones, ability to customize the heck out of it- adding preset values (ie Purchased from 'Yahoo Japan' as an editable preset option in text field)...
Networking: 'Like' option for each image (as Facebook uses & was already mentioned); cross-referencing similar artworks (series/character) from other collectors listed as thumbnails; linking youtube clips etc...

Hmmm, I could come up with lots of ideas (many of which may have been already integrated or considered) but that's easy for me when I have no direct involvement in the project. I have lots of respect for you guys taking on a project like this, well done!
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Yeah, Krafty, this thread is kind of a mess! Right now, a few of us are trying to get a group of people who really want to see this happen and/or help with it together in a place where the discussion can take place more smoothly than a big long thread here.

Our focus is definitely on making a social media integrated site first. Anything to do with a gallery hosting would be a secondary thing at this point, to be discussed once the main social "hub" site is in progress or close to finished. I'm not a total social-networking butterfly myself, but I've carried a smartphone for the past 4-5 years. I'm a tech geek and have been for a long, long time. I've lost count of how many different phones I've owned, but then I'm also a relative newbie to Facebook. I've been on Google+ for awhile, and I read some twitter feeds, but don't have an account there. I resist posting a lot of personal information on social networking, but it would be fun to use it to share this hobby with other collectors, especially ones who thrive solely on social media and not sites like Anime-Beta anymore. We might be able to interest them in participating here by sharing data across both sites, too.

What I can do is code websites pretty well ;). All of the major social media networks allow you to pull data from their services for embedding on private sites. My thought is to use these APIs to create a hub where people can share from their own social media accounts or see stuff shared by others.

Anyone who is truly interested in helping shape this new site, please say so! :)