Do you keep Complete Sets?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Do you keep Complete Sets?

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

backlotanimation wrote: Heehee. Sensei, you think you have storage issues, welcome to my world. hahahahaa
(*falls over with spinning eyes*) How do you keep all that sorted out?? @_@ No, seriously.... I'm truly dying to know. Do you have sections for given series? My few tiny boxes of "storage only" already seemed pretty small and they now seem MUCH smaller. *LOL*

@Sensei: I have to say I'm really glad my husband knows how much I care about my cels/sketches and he knows that, in the event he has to ever in in charge of getting rid of my things, I want to make sure my collection makes it back into the hands of other collectors. When my books were threatened by a 3am collapse of my closet bar, my husband was right next to me carefully sorting everything out and making sure all was well. He is also the one who made the cabinet my cel books are in now so they would be more protected.... and he doesn't even collect!! ^_^
dark-water-dragon
Kamisama - God

Post by dark-water-dragon »

For me when I look at each piece, I see it as a representation of the artist who is trying to tell the story and create something I care about. The partial roughs, copies with a few squiggly lines, and the fillers give me a better understanding of what they went through to create this world. Each piece means something to me, so I always try to keep the complete set. I think with out it I am missing some of the story, mostly what I never realized was there. Granted I have not amassed such a collection as many of you, where storage or fire hazards may come into play, but I am not sure how much my opinion would change if and when I do.
Darkness is the only thing that can comfort you

http://dwd.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I don't buy much in the way of douga, but the douga I have, along with the backgrounds and shikishi, I keep everything. With the latter, it's more of an issue of proving authenticity; congratulatory letters, promotional ads and initial shipping packaging help prove that point. But with the newer backgrounds, yes, the layouts and accompanying artwork are usually copies. I still keep them because I know it's the only artwork I'm going to find from a show long out of production and from a studio who destroyed their artwork. I doubt any of the additional materials or copies I hang on to have any value to anyone but myself, or possibly a museum, if one were ever interested in showcasing anime artwork. However, I enjoy the stories that sometimes come along with the artwork and I wish I could know more of what goes on. Some sellers on YJ, weekly, have lots of new artwork for grabs, and I'd love to know how those items got to that seller. Are there covert smuggling operations going on employing various animation staff? If so, how much of a kickback do they receive? Does dumpster diving still go on? I'd love to hear some of the horror stories behind that. I'll be the first to admit I'm a nerd, but I absolutely love knowing the history behind these items.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

I keep partial and full cuts for sketches. Don't have too many of them; but, I have a few from Godannar and Mawaru Penguindrum.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant