2015 Year in Review and 2016 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

2015 Year in Review and 2016 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Post by sensei »

And so another year comes creeping to an end. Time for another thread of looking back and looking ahead. This is a tradition that I began in 2006, which cutiebunny and I have taken turns keeping up in the decade since. It's interesting to glance back over the year and think of how our experiences compare with years before. In a follow-up post, I'll add the links to all the threads, which are interesting to see how the slate of active participants and the tone of the chatter have both changed over the ten years. But first, let's get to the questions:

1. What was the best thing that's happened to your gallery/collection in 2015?

2. What was the most surprising thing that happened to your gallery/collection this year?

3. Which piece were you most proud of acquiring in 2015?

4. What's something that concerns you about your collecting experience?

5. What cel/sketch-related resolution do you want to make for 2016?

6. If you posted a cel/sketch-related resolution in 2015, how true did you stay to it?

Edit: Gomen for not updating the years in restarting this thread: I fixed it now (I think). CB reminded me of it at a very busy time, with family in the house and a big road trip impending. Thanks, however, to all who have appreciated this tradition and want to keep it up.
sensei

Re: 2015 Year in Review and 2015 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Post by sensei »

For reference, here are links to the older threads:

sensei

Re: 2015 Year in Review and 2016 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Post by sensei »

1. the best

I'd say the return of some very nice CCS cels after a long hiatus. While I did not add many items on this front, the ones I did acquire were high-end, much desired items, some of which I'd been lurking to see for more than a decade.

2. the most surprising

The chance to pick up this piece
Full Moon wo Sagashite: Meroko

and this one

Full Moon wo Sagashite: Mitzuki as Full Moon

While I can't authenticate either as production art, they do seem likely to be discarded studio art from this series, the art for which had been rumored to have been destroyed to the last piece.

3. most proud of

Madoushi ensnares Sakura

Madoushis have never been common and have usually sold for prices well above my means. So it was a terrific thrill to reunite this one, with original matching background, with the matching production gengas that had already been a prize of my CCS collection.

4. something that concerns you

The appearance of so many CCS cels that are identical to others that I know have been previously sold or are in some cases part of my collection. At very least, this indicates that there are more test/discard cels out there than originally thought, and it raises the possibility that art from this series is becoming desirable enough to inspire well-done fakes.

5. cel/sketch-related resolution for 2016?

I still need to have a garage sale, especially for series that I no longer actively collect.

6. If you posted a cel/sketch-related resolution in 2015, how true did you stay to it?

For the second year I didn't do much to "sort out long-term keepers from their neighbors that could go to more loving, caring homes." But alas, my health did not cooperate. In March I was diagnosed with cancer, and in June underwent a serious operation. I've recovered gamely and test results indicate, at very least, that the cancer is under tight control for the present. Still, this makes it all the more obvious to me that I need to think about the long-term future of my collection, the more so as my wife has no interest in it and promises to "get rid of this anime crap" as soon as I have no more need for it.

Again, my thanks to my fellow collectors, especially those who supported me during my illness with good thoughts and encouragement. My best wishes to Cutiebunny and all of us in the coming year. Here's hopes that the yen stays low and supply booms!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgets to change the years when she copy/pastes the questions from last year. :cheers

Still, this is my favorite yearly tradition (sorry awards fans!) on this board, so I'm thankful that Sensei has taken the helm this year and posted the 2015 thread. Now, on to the wall o' text!

1. What was the best thing that's happened to your gallery/collection/experience in 2015?

Gallery - Jadeduo has forced me to update. Often. And she's super mean about it and threatens to take away cupcakes if I don't comply. Not sure if that's the best thing that happened to my gallery or the worst. So if you're wondering why your updates get kicked off the front RS page for a Kobato or CCS background overload, that would be why. This will probably continue into 2016 since I have barely touched the Kobato background pile. I hate that I can spend an hour scanning and maybe, maybe update with, like, 5 items. It's like they're their own twilight zone.

Collection - It was a good year for a shikishi collector. There was quite a bit of stuff up for grabs this year at conventions and on various Kickstarter projects, all of it stupidly expensive. My personal favorite was the Clannad $7K shikishi tier being offered on Kickstarter. The cheapest shikishi I saw sold for $300 and the most expensive hit $5000, with the majority falling into the 1K+ range. You know the economy has truly recovered when prices are returning back to their pre-2008 levels.

Experience - Doing the 'Sexy Bloody' dance (see Blue Sheep Reverie Volume 5 notes) with Makoto Tateno at YaoiCon. I actually had her sign the notes section of Vol. 5 because of the dance. Oh, and getting sloshed in her presence while we were all watching Sekaiichi no Hatsukoi was fun too.

I also enjoy working together with others at conventions. Having someone to make things bearable while you wait in line for hours and have to schedule eating and potty breaks is always a plus.. Having someone you can team up with during auctions is very much a plus.

2. What was the most surprising thing that happened to your gallery/collection this year?

Collection - The amount I paid this year. I'm not exactly proud of that. I did buy a lot of nice stuff that I enjoy. And, for some of the artists, I'm sure I got a deal. But, oh, the prices :hurt:

I think I've reached the point where I could walk away from this hobby today and feel that I got as much from it as I possibly could. I've made some good friends. I've helped them to make some solid friendships with each other. While we were sitting in the infamous autograph waiting line at 6 am during Anime Expo, those of us in my small group were talking about how we met each other. It boiled down to I, and another member of this board, being the ones to bring everyone together. And, you know, that felt pretty good to know that I helped a lot of people meet and bond. If I were to stop collecting today, while there would be things I'd be sad about not owning, there would be no regret.

Experience - The length I'm willing to punish other collectors who misbehave. I'm absolutely fine if a person wants to buy something someone else wants. That's what happens when you like artwork from popular shows or from well known artists. But it's another thing to buy it *and* then approach them to inform them that you bought it out of spite. This is the kind of pettiness that I absolutely loathe in this hobby.

Douga - Fate/Stay night OP sketch of Archer. Would love for his seiyuu, Juniichi Suwabe, to return to a US convention to sign that.

Shikishi - Tie between the Tanemura or the Hiromi Kato sketch.

Haven't I complained about everything by now? I've only been doing this for...almost a decade? :D

My number one concern involves the changing scene of the industry and how that is affecting collectors. After dealing with several companies and conventions for years, I have come to the realization that most of them absolutely hate us collectors. Hate is perhaps too kind of a word. Abhor is perhaps a more accurate word choice.

What most anime/manga fans do not realize is how in bed most conventions are with industry. While this is well known for mega conventions like Anime Expo, for smaller conventions, it's not always obvious. There used to be a time where conventions would have staff solely dedicated to guest recruitment. However, after a high profile incidents where a staff member went off to start a new convention & took their guest rolodex with them, most conventions now solely rely on companies to do the footwork for them in exchange for booth space and/or coveted panel slots. Companies like Aniplex control their guest's every move. Some companies, such as the American branch of Aniplex, take whatever items the Japanese Aniplex staff bring to donate for themselves. Companies have threatened legal action against collectors who have brought artwork from productions to conventions. Artwork that they legitimately purchased through various auction sites. If these studios don't want their artwork getting out, why not go after the high profile auction companies that are selling it? What do you possibly have to gain from punishing the fan of that series from wanting a piece of it?

Many anime conventions are just as problematic. The higher ups consider us a necessary evil. We give them bragging rights when it comes to how much money the convention donates to charity. Some of them audibly groan when they see the same faces pop up year after year. A big part of that hate stems from the fact that we've been around long enough to remember what conventions once were. Want to chat with your favorite artist? How about a sketch? What was once free is now available if the right price is paid. The days of being able to talk to a Japanese guest, have them sign a cel or two and/or perhaps walk away with a small sketch are practically over. Conventions realize that people are willing to pay for this and they'll charge accordingly, with many instituting 'premier' level membership or "pay-per-autograph" policy. More and more, it seems as if the admission fee that you pay to attend the event will solely get you in the door and if you want anything else that used to be included, you're going to pay for it.

And, while somewhat related, I'm getting tired of established companies (not recent start-ups) relying on Kickstarter to fund their operations. The point of crowdfunding is to help small time inventors/developers with solid ideas make them a reality by securing funding from the public. It is not for companies that have been around for at least a decade to fund their day-to-day operations. If the only way for you to release new products is to rely on KS, it might be time to readdress things.

To spend less (ha!).
To continue to cooperate with other collectors at conventions.
To update more because cupcakes.
To pray to the shikishi gods that industry sponsors will fall through and conventions will look for alternate sources of revenue.

6. If you posted a cel/sketch-related resolution in 2014, how true did you stay to it?

While I did make a dent on my background collection, most of those weren't from Kobato.
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Just many new additions that I love. Also, updating my gallery with screenshots and descriptions of the scene. I'm currently working on that right now. It's been a lot of fun. There are still a ton of cels that I don't know the episode for, but I'm slowly figuring them out. The battle scenes are the hardest ones, since the movements are fast and I have quite a few of Inuyasha swinging his sword, and those scenes look a lot alike. Most of those cels don't have backgrounds either, which makes it that much harder to figure out the episode, but I am trying!

This kind of goes along with #1. Somebody that I bought from a couple of times in 2014 made me an offer that I just could not refuse, when I emailed them to ask about purchasing a couple of cels for a third time. They wanted to get out of cel collecting so badly, that they offered to sell me the remaining 54 cels in their gallery for an AMAZING deal. Although I did get several cels that I wasn't all that excited about, there were quite a few in that lot that made the cost way more than worth it! I do have three cels from this lot for sale, simply because I don't want the characters in the first place.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O ..........lol you want a list?

Most of my all time favorites weren't bought this year, but here's a couple of my favorites that I bought in 2015.
Baby Inuyasha (He's just SOOO cute!)
Protecting Kagome (Such an important part of the show)
Inuyasha VS Bankotsu (There are no cels of Bankotsu, except from this opening, and it's a great cel of them fighting!)

Knowing that cels aren't meant to last forever, and having to constantly worry about their health. I do everything I can to keep them in the best environment possible, and store them properly, but I still worry.

Find as many episodes as possible, that my cels/sketches belong to, and update them with screenshots and descriptions. I also want to try and organize my cels into sections based on episodes, since there are several episodes that I have 4-5+ cels from.

Also, I want to keep obtaining more great cels and sketches. I would love to have at least one cel from every episode. Out of the 99 or 100 episodes that cels were used to make, I currently have cels from 44 different episodes lol. So I'm almost halfway there. Hopefully that number will go up when I determine episode number for some of my current unknowns.

Am I completely crazy for having this goal? Yeah, probably. :-D 8-O 8) :love: :-P

6. If you posted a cel/sketch-related resolution in 2014, how true did you stay to it?

I didn't post anything, but in my mind I knew I wanted to add some great items to my collection, which I certainly did!
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I know taking a break and all, but this is something I've always participated in since my last hiatus. Also CB summoned me when she mentioned my bribery with cupcakes ^_^ Bribery is a valid form of making someone update! ^_^ Also the CCS Episode 40 update CB did yesterday is LOVELY ^_^ I'm so happy she put it up! ^_^

It's not done, but getting off of Rubberslug and back onto Jadeduo.net was the best thing to happen so far. I am almost completely done migrating over, I have some onesie twosies to move/add and the Saiyuki Backlog, and the Tennimon and then my collection will 100% be off of Rubberslug. It was a great move because the site is optimized for the the Higher definition monitors, mobile friendly, and I can put as many sketches as I want up, including the huge set of Yuiko jumping up and down from Loveless with the five pages of notes on how her boobs should actually bounce ^_^;; It also will make it easier as I start to dig a little deeper into the shows without cels, as some of those sketch sets can be ridiculously large which is not an optimal situation for RS.

I will be keeping up RS, but everything will be updated on Jadeduo.net first and then I will put up a few pieces up on RS so people will know when I update. If it is a sketch set it is best to go to the new site because I will put all the sketches up that came with the set except for the partials of mouths, chins, etc.

Another great thing was making new cel friends and finally going to Yaoicon for the very first time. I had a blast and have already booked the hotel for next year. Also meeting @Cutiebunny for the first time and finding a lifelong friend to talk about cels with, learn new things, and complain about convention lines with ^_^;;

I don't know if it's a best thing per say but branching into a new form of collecting by grabbing some original sketch art off of Mandarake and at conventions is nice but I have no idea where I am going with it lol. Maybe figuring out what I'm doing with it next year will help. ^_^;;

The huge influx of Saiyuki Reload: Burial Art that happened this summer I was able to DOUBLE my collection over the course of 3 Months. I didn't win everything, but it was a damn close thing. I also found in those sketch sets literal photocopies of panels from the Manga that were pasted or taped onto layout sheets and then used as the basis for the entire cut. ^_^;;

This one is not going to be surprising to anyone in 10+ years I have NEVER seen a Jupiter Hanken this lovely with the original matching BG and everything.

http://jadeduo.net/sailor-jupiter-kino- ... smr-season

A close tie would be finally adding a Sailor Saturn to my collection a secret goal that realistically I NEVER thought would happen.

http://jadeduo.net/princess-somehow-ple ... pisode-172

I am also concerned as @Cutiebunny about the way the art from the new shows is treated, the destruction of an entire series of art for the sake of it is VERY concerning to me. Especially as I make a new concerted effort to watch more recent animes, the lack of available art can be frustrating. I have of course my old standards to go back to, but acquiring art from some of the newer series that I'm watching is a frustrating process as I have to stalk auction sites like a crazy person even though there is nothing from week to week, because you never know.

{Copy/Paste 2014}
I think I am going to keep with my resolution from last year, and continue to make it my goal to learn more about the animation process. I will say again setting a budget, but I decimated my budget this last year :P

I also want to add complete the move to Jadeduo.net and complete the cel Backlog. I am so close I can taste it! Also continue to harass my peeps to update their giant POS! And bake cupcakes as a reward! ^_^

Another resolution I have is to find someone that is willing to take on the 2016 sketch contest, I really only want to run one contest a year, because they are so time consuming, fun, and frustrating at times for the contest runner. So if anyone wants to help me with that, that would be great ^_^;; I would be available for consultation, but one contest a year is seriously my limit.

The learning process will be lifelong I'm sure, so that is a work in progress, but I did learn new things about the animation process and now I can recognize a couple Japanese characters when looking at my sketches it's literally like two, but progress! ^_^. The budget was massacred, once again I have no willpower. This seems to be an ongoing theme... ^_^;; But hopefully with the rising prices I will take a step back and reassess where I'm going with my collection this coming year.
"Any idea is a good idea except the non-happy ones. Those we push down deep inside where you'll never, ever, ever, EVER find them!" - Princess Unikitty

http://www.jadeduo.net Please Stay By My Side, In My Dreams - Sailor Moon, DBZ, Cardcaptor Sakura, Saiyuki, Gundam Wing, Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi, Junjou Romantica, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, and Tsubasa...

Actively Searching for: Saiyuki Burial (Anything), CCS Episodes 65-67, and Primo Sailor Jupiter Cels

Anime-Beta Annual Cel Contest - Grand Poobah, 2014, 2015, and 2016
Anime-Beta Annual Sketch Contest - Grand Poobah, 2015
Anime-Beta Annual Sketch Contest - Survey Wench, 2016, 2017

Still lurking around Beta, but most days you can find me in the Cel Chat... http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/ Come Join US!
Also rebooted the FB page, you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/348416495554600/
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

1. What was the best thing that's happened to your gallery/collection in 2014?
I *finally* found a very highly sought after piece from Mary Blair that I have been patiently searching for the past 8 years. I do not have it updated yet in my gallery. But, it is comparatively one of the nicest pieces I have ever seen from Mary Blair and SO incredibly happy I found it!

Refer to answer #1.

3. Which piece were you most proud of acquiring in 2014?
Pretty much the same as answer #1

Way too expensive!! I need a better job!!

5. What cel/sketch-related resolution do you want to make for 2015?
Save up more money this year.

6. If you posted a cel/sketch-related resolution in 2014, how true did you stay to it?[/b]
Pretty true. ^_^
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

The end result of gallery maintenance. Many hours were spent adding screenshots, adjusting thumbnail sizes, and whiting out the silvery backgrounds on Photoshop, which I was finally able to download. I hope to add more images and photographs in the coming months, though I'm in school again and don't have as much time as I would like.

Collection-wise, I'm happy to say that my items are now stored properly. My sketches have moved from their itoyas to acid-free boxes on acid-free backing boards. I have also designated a box for extra-large items.

The growth of my Evangelion collection. I was hoping to have 15 pieces by year end, and I ended up with 16! One surprise purchase came out of the blue: a pair of hanken sketches of Rei and Asuka. I never imagined my first hanken would be from Evangelion. My AEon Flux collection has also grown quite unexpectedly.

This cel of Rei-- http://celluloidcentral.rubberslug.com/ ... mID=384239

This massive pan of Aeon Flux (my first pan cel :) )-- http://celluloidcentral.rubberslug.com/ ... mID=392649

This cel of Neo Ranga-- http://celluloidcentral.rubberslug.com/ ... mID=387687

Storage. Cels in their slim itoyas are not an issue, but sketches are a nuisance. The backing boards are quite thick and take up a lot of space, and taping back the bags to fit to the boards (to prevent sketches for creasing) is also quite time-consuming. Backgrounds, for which I had a separate box, had to be moved to a cardboard envelope to make room for the large cels and sketches. The backgrounds continue to sit in their envelope until I buy a third box.

Same as last year. Spend less. And to continue renovating my gallery. I'd like to add more Disney by the end of the year.

Eh, somewhat. I did spend less, though not as little as I had hoped. Oh well.
lunacels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by lunacels »

Resolutions and year in review...what a great idea!

The best thing is that it grew. More than doubled in size, in fact! Though it's not really just the quantity, but the specific pieces I was able to acquire. I was fortunate enough to become the curator for pieces that were so high up on my wishlist that I never thought I would see them...particularly the pieces from Mandarake's BWA in August:
http://lunacels.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=387934
http://lunacels.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=387933

And this one, that replaced a sequence mate that I regretted letting go a decade ago:
http://lunacels.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=386991

And just so many great pieces that I can't link to them all here. I have been very, very blessed this year! I think I can owe Crystal for renewing interest and leading some of these great pieces to market.

That it doubled in size. :sweatdrop Methinks this is going to tie in to my 2016 resolutions...

So many, but probably those two from the BWA. Particularly the Uranus/Neptune...I mean, I would watch that scene and think, "Man, wouldn't it be PERFECT to have that pan cel, right there?" And I just never, never thought that I would EVER see that cel in person. When I think about how much I dropped on it in that bidding war, I'm not sure "proud" is the correct term--probably "sheepish" would be more accurate--but I just can't regret it. If I had it to do all over again, I would!

The other BWA cel of Usagi and the girls was a significant find for me as well. I didn't have a lot of Sailormoon memorabilia posted around my college dorms (barring a brief fling with having some cels professionally framed before I realized the horror of line fading), but I did love that particular image so much that caved and got it on a mousepad. So finding it was another dream come true. Finding both of them at the same time was a bit like winning the lottery. Opening that Mandy package was quite an event at my house!!

Probably how high some of the SM prices go, and how unpredictable it is. I swear some cels go for a small fraction of what I expect them to..and others just completely blow me away by how high they get. I unfortunately lost a few cels just due to a logistical snag with bidding on YJ, and that was kind of heartbreaking...but I just failed by not taking the necessary precautions because I had no idea the bids would make it as high as they did. So my fault of course, but dang.

The other issue, which is even more concerning and has been brought up by several others, is vinegar syndrome. I have one or two cels that I am worried about and have separated them from the rest of the fold. It does hurt to think about the loss of this artwork, but it is a stark reminder that nothing is permanent and setting too much love on physical things can be dangerous.

Buy less. I have just too many other obligations competing for my attention at the moment. Between building a house, and undergoing medical treatments (which are expensive and NOT covered by my insurance), and working in a tumultuous industry, I just can't foresee significantly adding to my collection again this year. I've quite scaled back on my auction checks, and I'll be content to check in with you guys once in a while to live vicariously. I've put myself on a strict fun money budget and am really going to try to hold to it.

I didn't make an official resolution last year (clearly!) :emb