Anyone been to the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
JustVan
Otaku - Fanatic

Anyone been to the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo?

Post by JustVan »

I went last week, and there are several rooms which are absolutely papered with Miyazaki sketches, genga, cel backgrounds, settei, etc. the whole lot. Some of them were just breathtaking. I'm assuming they weren't originals because many of them were just straight up thumbtacked to the walls... but it was really hard to tell. I even got super close to one of the backgrounds and gave it a sniff to see if I could "smell" it, but no luck. Anyone know if they're real? I'd have loved to even just taken photos of them but photos aren't even allowed.

Ah, to be able to go back and spend the day looking at all of them without the push of a hundred other tourists hurrying me along...
JustVan's Cels: Unico, Escaflowne, Ranma ½, DBZ & more.
nekotan

Re: Anyone been to the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo?

Post by nekotan »

Wow, that sounds really fantastic :)
I haven't been there, but I plan to do so at the beginning of this April. Could you maybe provide me with some tipps, like for example how much time to take for it or which day of the week is least crowded? Thank you ver much! /thx

Nekotan
:cat
JustVan
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by JustVan »

You need to buy a ticket in advance, if you don't already know that. So it's good you're asking about April, cause you've got time to get them still. I don't know when it's busy or not, I've only been the once. We only had about 90 mins to look around and definitely wanted more time, so I'd get an earlier slot if possible (noon or so). It was really a great experience and I'd definitely like to go back again. I could literally spend all day in the "cels" rooms~
nekotan

Post by nekotan »

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. So do I understand you right, that the time you are allowed to be in the museum is not only limited but also that this time limit varies depending on the time of day you visit?
I will certainly also want to spend looooots of time in the cels room :D

Nekotan
:cat
JustVan
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by JustVan »

I think so. I think foreigners are allowed in for 90 mins, but I could be wrong. (I'm not Japanese, but I live in Japan so I was not subjected to that stipulation). However, we were limited for time because the museum closed on us hehehe. So I'd say go earlier if at all possible. The website has a pretty good English page so you should definitely check it out there.
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

I've been a couple of times, and would go back again. :)

It is both exhilarating and painful to walk through the production art section. In most cases, those are actual production materials, so it does hurt me to see them just taped or tacked up on the walls. My first trip there they had some huge, truly stunning backgrounds!!
xiaolungbao

Post by xiaolungbao »

Ditto! Been to the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka more than a five times. Last time I checked the room with production art was authentic. Sadly most are not well preserved or even presented safety. Besides being tacked on the wall the backsides are often glued to the wall. Oh well doesn't really prevent theft. Anyways as others mentioned research in advance and visit during different days and times to avoid the annoying crowds. Sadly the Museum is quite small compared to the Disney Museum in San Francisco; it certainly would be nice if the Ghibli Museum had a larger building to display and house more items to share with the public.