When you pay wayyyy too much for something...

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Animechaos
Kishin - Fierce God

When you pay wayyyy too much for something...

Post by Animechaos »

I know I'm not the only one. Get stuck in a bidding war or just spend far too much on one item. Then after you buy it, facepalm wondering why. lol Figured I'd share one I just won, at a price I never intended. But it was Kurumi!!

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/it ... dex=393103
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: When you pay wayyyy too much for something...

Post by cutiebunny »

If this were LINE, I would have responded with a Nekopara sticker of Vanilla patting Chocolate's head. Seriously, Beta, I wanna use my LINE stickers!

But I understand your pain all too well. While a lot of those ugly fights have subsided after I stopped collecting SM cels as much, I have been in some rough charity auctions. I've wondered if it was worth it and why I just blew several days worth of overtime just on one sketch. The worst online auction bidding I've been in was for a SM cel where I decided to increase the price to get rid of potential bidders by using another deputy service to increase the cel's price.

Mandy is just rough though. My rule is just to cast my bid and walk away. I'm far too weak to watch that Live Bidding feature without wanting to up my bid.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

That's pretty nice. Yeah, that is quite a bit though.

I've never figured out what they call that thing that goes over the top of her head. I see it a lot in anime/manga. I like his character designs.
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

I think we've all been there. But hey, it's a great set, and nothing quite beats the adrenaline rush of a bidding war. It's hard to walk away from.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I try to be *SUPER* careful to avoid bidding wars, but I've still been in three I would call complete knock-down drag-outs. One of the three went a couple hundred dollars higher than the one you just showed. ^_^ In my defense, I've tried to feel bad about bidding so high and I can't. All three are in my top favorites of my favorites. ^_^

For the curious, the three are: a harmony cel of Class Bananna from Akazukin Chacha, a Psychic Force game cel of Emilio drawing his bow from the first game, and a full body pan of the Kirin from Petshop of Horrors. ^_^
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I experienced that with majority of my Bleach collection. One particular one I remember was an opening set that I had paid $600 for it. When I received it, I felt real foolish and silly for buying it and it really just contained one sketch. I immediately listed it for sell to find a new home that would appreciate it more than me. So, 2 weeks later after I purchased it for $600, it sold for maybe $150 including shipping. After that, I was way more cautious about doing impulse buying!
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

How about y entire collection - save a piece or two. :shrug :wack
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

I've been in a bidding war or three... :D

Sometimes I'm just happy to have the piece, regardless of price, other times... well... facepalm. :wink: