What bothers you about this hobby?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
xiaolungbao

Re: What bothers you about this hobby?

Post by xiaolungbao »

Good point. The quality of the animation has dramatically changed. In some ways the animation itself is more fluid but I find it is often waaay too exaggerated something that I feel detracts from the movements and even storyline. I personally prefer the animation circa 80-90s (ala Record of Lodoss Wars OVAs).

Something that bothers me about this hobby is the rise of cel resellers who mainly buy and flip. Has anyone else noticed more and more evilbay sellers offering to help you buy/shop in Japan? Everytime I look around I see more and more urbantreasurehunterjapan type scalpers. Kinda of sad.
RamiO

Post by RamiO »

xiaolungbao wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:37 pm Something that bothers me about this hobby is the rise of cel resellers who mainly buy and flip. Has anyone else noticed more and more evilbay sellers offering to help you buy/shop in Japan? Everytime I look around I see more and more urbantreasurehunterjapan type scalpers. Kinda of sad.
Totally understand what you mean.. Hate seeing cels I missed on mandarake etc appear on ebay with 10x price tag
ZenAmako

Post by ZenAmako »

I find it a bit annoying when an anime I like has an inferior sequel or reboot, and when I go hunting for cels I inevitably find cels from the sequel/reboot. I'm looking at you, Bubblegum Crash!, Record of Lodoss War the TV show, Iczer-3, etc. It's always disappointing when you see an update, and none of the cels come from the original. :P

Another thing is when one collector buys up almost all of the cels on the market from a particular title and locks them away forever. :(
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

The fact that the prices for certain series seem to have hit the stratosphere (or maybe I'm just imagining things). I picked up an awesome Pokemon cel on Y!J for $100 around 2010, and looking at eBay or Y!J today, that same cel would probably have a price tag of $800 or higher :( I can't afford to add to my Pokemon collection anymore!
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

I miss how active Anime-Beta use to be :l

I miss cel-based animation because it looks better and it played a part in keeping the hobby lively and alive.
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

KT wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:23 pm I miss how active Anime-Beta use to be :l

I miss cel-based animation because it looks better and it played a part in keeping the hobby lively and alive.
Yeah, everything is too "smooth" now. No character. Does that make sense?
Ghosty
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ghosty »

xiaolungbao wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:37 pm Good point. The quality of the animation has dramatically changed. In some ways the animation itself is more fluid but I find it is often waaay too exaggerated something that I feel detracts from the movements and even storyline. I personally prefer the animation circa 80-90s (ala Record of Lodoss Wars OVAs).

Something that bothers me about this hobby is the rise of cel resellers who mainly buy and flip. Has anyone else noticed more and more evilbay sellers offering to help you buy/shop in Japan? Everytime I look around I see more and more urbantreasurehunterjapan type scalpers. Kinda of sad.
Yes, lots of flippers lately. The new trend is listing cels for sale that the seller doesn't even have. I see the exact cels (and unique photos of them) in live auctions/for sale elsewhere at drastically lower prices, only to be acquired by the Ebay seller if the Ebay sale takes place. urbantreasurehunterjapan had outbid me a couple of times on YJ for immediate Ebay flipping purposes, so I'll not buy anything from him.n :x

I am partial to 80's anime style myself as I find new stuff often feels generic, characters tend look the same, and I miss the authentic feel of hand drawn cels.
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

sugarcels wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:57 pm

Yes!! That's what I have been telling everyone and they look at me like I am crazy lol Honestly, I only watch old anime that I use to watch when I was younger. Sure I have seen a couple episodes of anime on Cartoon Network on their Saturday Toonami block...but it doesn't really capture my interest overall.

I feel like stories and animation have been dumbed down for the masses. These newer shows can't incite happiness like the older ones can.
D_Animation
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by D_Animation »

X2 on the flippers.

I guess on one hand it’s their own to do what the want and I’m sure at some point down the road I’ll sell or trade or whatever

On the other hand a lot of the cels aren’t even owned by the people and are just relisting others. Even on the Japanese platforms. Plus it artificially drives up prices and preys on people.
Last edited by D_Animation on Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D no function beer well without
Gallery: https://www.danimation-cels.com
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

KT wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:14 pm

Yes!! That's what I have been telling everyone and they look at me like I am crazy lol Honestly, I only watch old anime that I use to watch when I was younger. Sure I have seen a couple episodes of anime on Cartoon Network on their Saturday Toonami block...but it doesn't really capture my interest overall.

I feel like stories and animation have been dumbed down for the masses. These newer shows can't incite happiness like the older ones can.
I probably sound like a crabby old woman or something, but I haven't watched a new anime in years. I tend to watch anime from the 80s and 90s - Creamy Mami, Tenchi Muyo, Pokemon (the first few seasons), that kind of thing. I tend to connect with them better, I don't know how to explain it.
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

sugarcels wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:12 pm

I probably sound like a crabby old woman or something, but I haven't watched a new anime in years. I tend to watch anime from the 80s and 90s - Creamy Mami, Tenchi Muyo, Pokemon (the first few seasons), that kind of thing. I tend to connect with them better, I don't know how to explain it.

I completely understand what you mean by connecting to the older series better. Im the same. In fact, Ive been watching the first season of Pokemon recently, and I wont be watching the newer seasons. I think older series have a better energy to them and more depth. The last "new" anime I watched is Death Note. It was pretty good, some parts I felt hindered the quality of it. But overall that is the most recent anime I watched and enjoyed...And I watched it back in 2008 lol
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

KT wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:25 pm
sugarcels wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:12 pm

I completely understand what you mean by connecting to the older series better. Im the same. In fact, Ive been watching the first season of Pokemon recently, and I wont be watching the newer seasons. I think older series have a better energy to them and more depth. The last "new" anime I watched is Death Note. It was pretty good, some parts I felt hindered the quality of it. But overall that is the most recent anime I watched and enjoyed...And I watched it back in 2008 lol
I think the newest anime I've watched is Ace Attorney, and really only because I enjoyed the games.

My heart wouldn't be in it if I watched the newer Pokemon seasons. If Misty isn't there, I'm not really interested, LOL. Did they get rid of the original Team Rocket, too?
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

^ Misty and Brock return for a couple episodes in the Alolan episodes. Oak and Jigglypuff (with its marker of doom) also tag along. The purpose of the episodes was to highlight the difference between the Alolan versions of Pokémon like Vulpix, but if you're a fan of the mega evolutions from the X/Y game series, you'll be pleased to see that both Misty and Brock have one. I would love to see them both brought back, and since the ratings for Alola haven't been too strong, I'm hoping they'll return soon.

Jessie, James and Meowth are still around too. I have a hard time watching the Alolan episodes because the animation bothers me. I also really don't like most of the Z moves and the dorky dance that accompanies them in the game that they just had to animate. But before Alola, the series was still very good. I wasn't always a fan of all of Ash's compatriots (particularly Iris), so I'd usually just watch the gym battle episodes only. I did think that X/Y was a solid saga altogether, particularly with Ash and Greninja.
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

cutiebunny wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:27 pm ^ Misty and Brock return for a couple episodes in the Alolan episodes. Oak and Jigglypuff (with its marker of doom) also tag along. The purpose of the episodes was to highlight the difference between the Alolan versions of Pokémon like Vulpix, but if you're a fan of the mega evolutions from the X/Y game series, you'll be pleased to see that both Misty and Brock have one. I would love to see them both brought back, and since the ratings for Alola haven't been too strong, I'm hoping they'll return soon.

Jessie, James and Meowth are still around too. I have a hard time watching the Alolan episodes because the animation bothers me. I also really don't like most of the Z moves and the dorky dance that accompanies them in the game that they just had to animate. But before Alola, the series was still very good. I wasn't always a fan of all of Ash's compatriots (particularly Iris), so I'd usually just watch the gym battle episodes only. I did think that X/Y was a solid saga altogether, particularly with Ash and Greninja.
Good to know, thank you! :)
momo
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by momo »

Missed this thread ages ago and wanted to chime in. Like others have already mentioned the increase of scalpers on ebay and YJA is disgusting but sadly unavoidable. Something that is completely avoidable that bothers us is watching the largest cel community resource Rubberslug rot internally due to negligence, and by extension, the cel community die a slow and painful death is most disheartening.