An Email from a Classy Museum Part 2

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

An Email from a Classy Museum Part 2

Post by cutiebunny »

This morning, I received an e-mail from someone stating that they were a researcher at Museum Volkenkunde in Leiden, Netherlands asking if I wouldn't mind allowing them to use some artwork in one of their upcoming exhibits. I can't help but think that there were others in this community that might have received the same e-mail as many of us collect the same thing, so I thought I'd reach out. I did some research on this particular museum, and apparently it was originally called Museum Japonicum as their original collection heavily featured items acquired by a couple of employees of the Dutch East India Company during their stay in Nagasaki.

I also remember that a few people received a similar request from a German museum last year. How did that work out? Do you have any tips you could provide based on your experience should I go ahead with sending artwork out for display? I am naturally very distrustful of anyone contacting me regarding the display of artwork. I'm not sure if I really want to send over cels, or some of my more favorite sketches.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: An Email from a Classy Museum Part 2

Post by star-phoenix »

I was actually about to post the same question as you. I also received the same e-mail and wanted to know if anyone knows this person by any chance??? I, as a general rule, do not allow my art to be on display unless I am physically able to go there and physically be able to speak to them and having a physical binding contract with full disclosure/research completion, etc. I am very cautious about sending art to people, especially overseas for an exhibition.... seems rather concerning to me to be honest.
Trudy
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Trudy »

I would highly recommend reaching out to the museum directly if you can -- not through the e-mail that was sent to you, but through a form on their website, calling (probably not cheap), or sending a letter in the mail. I agree, this sounds incredibly fishy and suspect. Do you think you can post the entirety of the e-mail?
Actively Collecting:
Escaflowne, Gokinjo Monogatari, Infinite Ryvius, Record of Lodoss War, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Looking for select cels from:
CardCaptor Sakura, Daria, Fushigi Yuugi, Gall Force, Gokinjo Monogatari, Gunsmith Cats, Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl, Kaito St. Tail, Magic Knight Rayearth, Oniisama E, Please Save My Earth, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Looking for production artwork from:
Ashita no Nadja, Full Metal Panic!, Juuni Kokki, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, NANA, Princess Tutu
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

The follow up e-mail I received came with a document regarding what the exhibit is, when and where it will be and what they hope to display.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3jkx8zh0dug7 ... 7.pdf?dl=0

The most recent communication I've had is that they don't have any one piece in mind, but are hoping for artwork that would represent each anime.
Kaona
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Kaona »

My experience with the German museum turned out pretty good, except my contact person quit during the exhibit - the same day they were going to reimburse me for shipping fees (around $75). The special box and packaging was out of pocket (it was a Ghibli Studio pre-framed cel), so I am probably out about $90 for an exhibit in Germany I never got to see. I suppose I could have gone after the shipping, but it is a non-profit museum, and I sort of forgot to follow up.

The museum sent me a proper letter of their intent on letterhead after we exchanged several e-mails and photos of the cel, and when we agreed to the terms of the loan, they followed up with an insurance certificate from a third party. They sent a small event pamphlet, and then a nice book covering the show as a thank you.

Would I do it again? I suppose I would. It did take a bit of effort on my part taking photos, signing documents and agreements, sending them back, shipping the cel, and meeting their deadlines. The cel was recently returned to me in the same box I sent, and it looks fine.