Man arrested in Japan for selling fake Miyazaki sketches

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Man arrested in Japan for selling fake Miyazaki sketches

Post by JWR »

Hopefully no one here purchased from this guy

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... es/.115915
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Man arrested in Japan for selling fake Miyazaki sketches

Post by cutiebunny »

I thought it was pretty obvious by now that 99.99% of all original artwork attributed to internationally famous artists sold on YJ was fake. You'd have to be pretty clueless to bid on a Miyazaki sketch when the same seller has multiple other sketches for sale that same week from Miyazaki as well.

I read the article and I wonder why it's taken Japanese police over 6 months to arrest this guy when they're citing purchases from October and November 2016. I could have sworn that I've seen these same sketches being sold on YJ, likely from the same seller, just last week.

It would be nice if the police in Japan could crack down on sellers who purposely draw counterfeit artwork to make a quick yen. But clearly, this arrest hasn't convinced those doing this to stop as I've seen several sketches up today that are all bad.