Seeking help for non-fiction book about collecting cels

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Seeking help for non-fiction book about collecting cels

Post by sugarcels »

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of writing a non-fiction book about collecting anime cels. The aim is to get more people around the 18-30 age range interested in collecting a part of animation history, but I need some help :)

I want to include information and advice from fellow collectors to make sure readers can really get something out of the book.

You can answer any or all of the following:

1. How to store cels
2. How to get over losing an auction for a cel you really, really wanted
3. How to handle your cels and care for them
4. How to scan or take pictures of cels
5. How to frame cels, or why they shouldn't be framed
6. How to choose a theme or subject for your collection
7. How to befriend other collectors and plan meetups for your area
8. Online auction sites and stores to check out - in case I missed something good!
9. Where to set up a cel site and what to do next
10. How you distinguish cel types and features you think they should know about (ex: What does A1 END mean? What is an Original Background?)

Anything else you think a newbie collector should learn about. If you're not interested in this part, I'm always looking for beta readers!

You can be as thorough as you like in your advice/answers. Actually, the more in-depth, the better.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate any help. Naturally, you will get credit for your content (real name preferred, but you can give me your username, too) and I will send you a free copy of the ebook.

Thank you so much! :D
BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Re: Seeking help for non-fiction book about collecting cels

Post by BuraddoRun »

There is a lot of info posted on this site already about these things. I learned most of what I know about cels in this very forum, I dare say. I would say look around, take notes, make note of the information source to ask about printing and to give credit to, and of course ask any specific questions you may have.

I would also suggest that information about cel production itself and some of the larger companies' techniques would be interesting for your book. Also, what collectors for certain studios look for. There are people who only collect anime, while others go for American or other regions' cartoons. Then there are Disney collectors. I mean there are lots of different collector types of course, but some of the bigger, specific stuff may be interesting to discuss.
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

Hi! I'm so sorry for the delay in my response. Thank you for all this helpful information, I'll definitely keep it in mind!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Slow day at work, so I'll take a shot -

1. How to store cels

Lots of info on this site already. I change out the bags when the cel/sketch initially arrives to a polypropylene bag (cels) or a mylar bag (sketches). This way, I'm sure that they're being properly stored and in fresh bags. I hate it when I received cels that are in puckered bags that haven't been changed in eons. Personal peeve of mine.

Cels are then stored in Itoya Profolios, with each cel getting its own page. I store mine vertically in a dark closet.

2. How to get over losing an auction for a cel you really, really wanted

Gonna be honest here and say that there are still some auctions that, years later, I'm miffed that I was outbid on. Not a lot, definitely, but there are some that I kick myself over because I put self-imposed limits on what I was willing to spend at the time. None of these losses stem from internal outbidding though; I've probably been equally on the receiving and dealing end here, so I can't complain when people do it to me.

But yeah, what works best for me is telling myself that I have a lot of awesome stuff already. I might have lost out on a cel or sketch, but I already have a lot of stuff I really love already. I sometimes ask myself if I would have rather have had the item I lost out on instead of another item from my collection. If that answer is no, then, I think I'm doing ok.

3. How to handle your cels and care for them

Kinda explained this in the first answer, but I touch my cels with gloves. I also remove any staples that come with the cel (carefully!). I try to rotate the cels out of their bags yearly, but I admit that I'm bad at getting around to this and have utterly no energy to do this in the summer. I've been trying to put in small sheets of microchamber paper to help keep them in great shape even longer, but also slow on this. I'm much better at doing this for my sketches to the point where it's just part of the packaging process. Guess you can tell what I enjoy collecting more...

4. How to scan or take pictures of cels

I bought a large Epson A3 size flatbed scanner years ago for my birthday. Never thought I would spend that much for a scanner but it's definitely been a purchase I've yet to regret. I collect a lot of shikishi and none of those would ever perfectly fit on the ones that I owned. I'm lazy. When it comes to scanning, I just want one and done. I also hated dragging really oversized cels to copy stores, only to try to lie to them that I drew the item, that it wasn't copyrighted, argue over who would scan the item, etc.

Best advice for beginners is to buy a smaller scanner. Most cels and backgrounds can be perfectly scanned on those. If and when you get more serious into collecting, you might want to consider buying a used A3 scanner.

5. How to frame cels, or why they shouldn't be framed

I don't frame. I have two cels on loan right now to a museum in The Netherlands, so I'll be interested to see what kind of damage was done to them while in their care once they return.

How to choose a theme or subject for your collection

I don't think a theme is necessary. Collect what you enjoy. If you try to go after every shot of a character or an episode, you'll find yourself way too poor when something you really want pops up. Best advice here is to be patient. Keep a list, whether public or private, of things you'd really like and, if they do pop up, go for them with gusto. It can take years, if not decades, to see what you really want.

6. How to befriend other collectors and plan meetups for your area

Conventions are a great way to meet people. I've hung out and roomed with people I've met through boards, and made some great friendships that way. Becoming a member of a collecting board or Facebook page is a good way to meet people, and make sure to be somewhat active there.

8. Online auction sites and stores to check out - in case I missed something good!

Pretty sure you got this. I don't have any secret squirrel sites.

9. Where to set up a cel site and what to do next

I'm lazy. I use Rubberslug. I don't want to code.

10. How you distinguish cel types and features you think they should know about (ex: What does A1 END mean? What is an Original Background?)

Lots of advice about that in various topics in this board. To be perfectly honest, I could care less about A1 END and original background. They're nice plus but never a reason for me to buy. The question is - Do I like how the character is being portrayed in that moment? My favorite cel of Yue from Cardcaptor Sakura is not a key cel, but it was beautifully executed and it was that specific frame, and not the key on the next frame, that was used for the trading card. Buy stuff that you like, not because the character is rare, or you think you'll never see something from that sequence again. Just be patient.