Is your collection focused or a giant assortment?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Is your collection focused or a giant assortment?

Post by BuraddoRun »

What kind of collector are you? Do you like to collect a certain kind of artwork, as in mostly pretty girls or boys or animals or something? Do you collect only for series you enjoy? Do you collect for only 1 series, or even 1 character? Do you collect only a certain type of thing, like strictly shikishi? Do you just have a giant mixed ball of stuff?

I'm more of the latter. Of course I like getting works from series I like, but I have a lot of random pieces that I've picked up over the years from any different shows, and a lot that I haven't actually watched.
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Is your collection focused or a giant assortment?

Post by JWR »

In my case Besides all the Comic Art we started our anime cel collection as being focused on Ah My Goddess and a couple of Rumiko Takahashi shows Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha.
Over time as newer shows caught our interest it broadened till it has grown fairly large but We can still say it is focused as it is focused mainly on shows we have enjoyed.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Well, it is a "giant assortment" by any objective estimation, but I'd have to say that it was put together in a focused way. I do watch for shows that I have enjoyed or know are significant, and I have esthetic standards (subjective though they may be) so that I get things that have some "wow" or "mmmm ... interesting" quality to my mind. I want to add items that I can talk about in the description, maybe even rant a little, rather than just post up with token or no comment.

There are some random bits, but lots of times the random purchase has led to my exploring a series that initially I didn't know much about but later came to enjoy and appreciate. (Hyper Police stands out in this regard.) So "focused giant assortment" is probably an apt description of my gallery.
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

I have a giant assortment of focused subjects. I collect from a lot of series, but in each series I mainly focus on 1 or 2 characters. And then there are some miscellaneous ones that I got just because. :)
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

If you look at my collection as a whole, it's not focused. If you take into account the dates of purchase, then yes, it is.

In the beginning, with the exception of two cels from Pretty Samy, I collected Sailor Moon cels. Every so often I'll buy one now, but for the most part, that was from 2003-2007.

That was followed by a small dabble into Inuyasha. Still 'effin expensive because IY was popular and the artwork being privately released was just gorgeous.

Then Cardcaptor Sakura. And a small foray into Hakuouki around 2013. I also like to buy the occasional genga/douga from the Fate franchise that pop up on YJ because F Aniplex. Seriously, the thought of just dishing it to Aniplex is a strong factor in buying Fate artwork.

And now it's just original artwork/shikishi and New Year's postcards with particular emphasis on the latter. As mentioned on another thread, I tend to buy more sketches from artists that I've met and have really liked. I mean, I honestly didn't need any more sketches from Kazuchika Kise (character designer for xxxHolic and GiTS Arise), but I applaud anyone that tells AX staff that they're dogs, and thus knew that that postcard that popped up on YJ months ago had to be mine.
ToriPagac
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by ToriPagac »

mines a horde
kwens
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by kwens »

Currently I just focus on 'pretty' or the somewhat 'special' cels.

That means anything that's oversized, pan or has an original matching background.
It doesn't really matter which show it's from or if it's a popular show. If it's pretty then I'm interested.
In fact I prefer it not being too popular ... that usually drops the price considerably seeing that I'm usually the only bidder in such cases.

I used to focus on Saint Seiya cels only ... and yes I still buy the occasional Saint Seiya cel but they've become so expensive lately (the pretty ones at least) that I can not keep up ^_^

Cheers !
-Kim.
BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Post by BuraddoRun »

sensei wrote: There are some random bits, but lots of times the random purchase has led to my exploring a series that initially I didn't know much about but later came to enjoy and appreciate.
This has happened to me quite a few times as well. I'll pick up a random cel and do a little research on it, and then feel inclined to watch the show. I guess that's one way to find a new show to watch!
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18