Have you notice anything interesting in your production art collections?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Have you notice anything interesting in your production art collections?

Post by jiangdc »

I mean especially for layout, genga, and the yellow, green paper(which I don't know the term in English). Since many anime drawing processes are done in different companies, we can see communications between different animators in those production papers. Sometimes, there are interesting writing and drawing left on the paper. Some of them may just be greetings or something irrelevant to the anime production.

One of the examples is a cut from Simoun ep20 cut8. https://dcjiang.weebly.com/simoun.html

Asako Nishida was in charge of this cut. In one of the green paper, she drew a little cat and left a note saying "this part is not necessary". I can imagine how surprised and excited the genga animator was when he or she get this cut and saw the "Nishida neko" greeting.

Anyone have similar things and would like to share?
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Have you notice anything interesting in your production art collections?

Post by sensei »

I got a nice sketch set from Cardcaptor Sakura, Ep. 65, recently, featuring an exchange between Eriol (the benign but creepy big boss with Clow Reed's powers in Season 3) and his magical helper Nakuru/Ruby Moon. Eriol has given his minion permission to use his mansion as a set for a detective film (and sees interesting plot possibilities, and indeed Ep. 65 is widely considered one of the very top classic moments of this series). Nakuru, who does everything in an over-the-top way, responds by giving the master sorcerer a huge hug.

Ah, but it's important to keep in mind that magical helpers are ungendered. Ruby Moon chooses to pass as the female Nakuru in false form, commenting airily, "it doesn't make any difference, does it?" Meanwhile her counterpart on the Cardcaptor side, Yue, apparently has no choice, but passes as the male Yukito in false form, which makes the bromance between Yukito and Touya nominally yaoi, but actually more of a Spock/Kirk relationship, as the two are not the same lifeform and thus consummate their mutual passion through energy transfer rather than through "plumbing" (as Trekkies say).

But fans and collectors naturally think of Yukito as "he,"though the double role is voiced by the magnificent female seiyuu Megumi Ogata (Shinji in EVA, both Emeraude and Eagle Vision in Rayearth, Haruka/Sailor Uranus in Sailor Moon) and Nakuru as "she." And so the layout artist rendered this character with an ample bust. That led to a revealing exchange on the rough (or layout correction), in which the episode animation director, Mariko Fujita, comments (to the right of the characters' faces), “Mayu, this way may be better ... somehow.” (I haven’t identified “Mayu,” but I presume this is the layout artist.)

The discussion in the bottom right corner is more interesting:

Fujita, who has notably flattened the contours of Nakuru’s chest, comments:

女の子ではないので実は胸は��い 。。。
She’s not a girl so actually, she has no boobs . . .

“Mayu” responds:

なっ 。。。なななな何ですと~
H . . . hhhhow could this be~

。。。ずっと女の子だと思ってた 。。。がっくし。。。
. . . this whole time I thought she was a girl . . . I’m devastated . . .

[Sketch of devastated animator]

立ち直れないかも~
I may never recover from this ~
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Now that's pretty funny.

It's neat to see notes like these. I can't recall ever seeing anything interesting on mine.
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by jiangdc »

sensei wrote:I got a nice sketch set from Cardcaptor Sakura, Ep. 65, recently, featuring an exchange between Eriol (the benign but creepy big boss with Clow Reed's powers in Season 3) and his magical helper Nakuru/Ruby Moon. Eriol has given his minion permission to use his mansion as a set for a detective film (and sees interesting plot possibilities, and indeed Ep. 65 is widely considered one of the very top classic moments of this series). Nakuru, who does everything in an over-the-top way, responds by giving the master sorcerer a huge hug.

Ah, but it's important to keep in mind that magical helpers are ungendered. Ruby Moon chooses to pass as the female Nakuru in false form, commenting airily, "it doesn't make any difference, does it?" Meanwhile her counterpart on the Cardcaptor side, Yue, apparently has no choice, but passes as the male Yukito in false form, which makes the bromance between Yukito and Touya nominally yaoi, but actually more of a Spock/Kirk relationship, as the two are not the same lifeform and thus consummate their mutual passion through energy transfer rather than through "plumbing" (as Trekkies say).

But fans and collectors naturally think of Yukito as "he,"though the double role is voiced by the magnificent female seiyuu Megumi Ogata (Shinji in EVA, both Emeraude and Eagle Vision in Rayearth, Haruka/Sailor Uranus in Sailor Moon) and Nakuru as "she." And so the layout artist rendered this character with an ample bust. That led to a revealing exchange on the rough (or layout correction), in which the episode animation director, Mariko Fujita, comments (to the right of the characters' faces), “Mayu, this way may be better ... somehow.” (I haven’t identified “Mayu,” but I presume this is the layout artist.)

The discussion in the bottom right corner is more interesting:

Fujita, who has notably flattened the contours of Nakuru’s chest, comments:

女の子ではないので実は胸は��い 。。。
She’s not a girl so actually, she has no boobs . . .

“Mayu” responds:

なっ 。。。なななな何ですと~
H . . . hhhhow could this be~

。。。ずっと女の子だと思ってた 。。。がっくし。。。
. . . this whole time I thought she was a girl . . . I’m devastated . . .

[Sketch of devastated animator]

立ち直れないかも~
I may never recover from this ~

OMG that's so funny. Even anime artists encounter this sex issue. :P Personally I would prefer to see big boobs.Image
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/