ID Help Needed for Inuyasha sketch set (movie?)

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

ID Help Needed for Inuyasha sketch set (movie?)

Post by sensei »

I recently won this set of sketches (put roughly in order above), showing Sango dropping into the frame on the right from above, then recovering and quickly throwing her Hirakotsu (or martial-arts boomerang) out toward the screen. It's a splashy set, on 8 1/2 x 12 inch sheets (letterboxed) rather than the standard 9 1/2 x 10 1/2 size. Several of the sketches bear the marking "C-47" or "Cut 47," indicating a screen time about 7-8 minutes after the start of the episode or movie.

The seller thought it came from the long action scene that opens the first Inuyasha movie, Affections Touching Across Time, but that can't be right as Sango wears her ninja mask all through this scene, and here she is unmasked. Also, none of the action cuts in which she appears in that battle show this particular "drop down and fling" move.

Can anyone more familiar with this saga, especially the movie components, suggest a more accurate identification? I've animated the gengas, but it came with a set of shuusei gengas (by one of the animation directors) that are terrific pieces of art that I'd like to add to my gallery. (The gengas are good too, but the shuuseis are amazing.) But I hate to do this without a positive ID of the sketches' provenence. All suggestions welcome.