More ID help needed for an Inuyasha sketch set

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

More ID help needed for an Inuyasha sketch set

Post by sensei »

OK, so this nice genga went up in my gallery today:

Pan image, a too-cheerful-for-his-own-spiritual-well-being Miroku is walking away from Sango, who's not happy. Other sketches in the set show him stopping suddenly, then looking back, still with the oh-so-jolly smile on his face but with a little sweatdrop on the side away from Sango.

This came with a layout. Unfortunately, at some point that was physically ripped off the registration bars that were holding it, tearing away the part that would give its episode ID. The part that remains says it's "Cut 76." OK, so around eight minutes into an episode. Using some other hints in the sketch set, I thought it more likely that it comes from the Ep. 1-99 part that was made with cel technology than from the CGI part.

A little later, I proved this by locating the master set-up (cels + original matching background) that went with this sketch set in Cordelia's Cel Cove. Unfortunately, the curator does not identify the episode or situation that it fits into.

Can anyone identify this scene or help narrow down where it might fit?
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: More ID help needed for an Inuyasha sketch set

Post by Pixel »

This is not a series I've watched, but I tried looking around online for some leads.

The only ones I've come with are Episode 127, (I think you said 100+ are post-CGI though)
maybe Episode 38.

They're not overly great leads I know.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Yeah, the last cels (so far as I can determine) come from Ep. 99. So this must be before. And a couple things about the sketches seemed more like those I've seen from cel-based cuts than from CGI ones (e.g., the latter normally come with the dougas).

I'll check out 8 minutes into ep. 38 and report back. Any other possibilities, Betarians?

Update: Yup, 07:11 into ep. 38 nails it. Thanks Pixel!
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

sensei wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:29 pm Update: Yup, 07:11 into ep. 38 nails it. Thanks Pixel!
You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to offer something useful. :)

This is where I found it. One of Cordelia's dougas had a box on the right hand side, the box is annotated "#38 guest". It was more of a hunch than anything else though, that it meant Episode 38. It's a small pic, may have to zoom in to see it clearly.

Sensei, could you tell me what the formula inside the box is talking about?
sensei

Post by sensei »

Thanks again. That was a detail that I didn't notice (and apparently the owner didn't either). I like to be able to attribute the roughs to a specific artist if I can, and a thorough search of my existing collection didn't turn up a good match in style or in distinctive ways of labeling the sequence number. No wonder: the animation director for Ep. 38 was Kazuo Takigawa, his only assignment for that series.
Pixel wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:44 pm Sensei, could you tell me what the formula inside the box is talking about?
I'm only aware that it has to do with the color scheme that the cel painter needs to use for something in the image, so I assume it's a reference to a certain page or section of the "settings" (or "settei") that would get distributed with the blank cel sheets. The artists would need that to make sure that they painted the costumes etc. correctly. "Guest" generally means random characters (like the girls Miroku is trying to hit on) who appear in just one episode. Either that or it goes with the wood fence, which I gather was painted on the cel rather than included on the background. "Guest" might refer to that instead. Again it = "one-time occurrence."