What are "Autographs" in the sense of Production Art?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: What are "Autographs" in the sense of Production Art?

Post by Pixel »

sensei wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 am Not that your Azu copy is a fake (why would a forger fake a photocopied sketch?), it was just done on a basic photocopier, as was normal for that studio at that time. But the copiers that laid down trace lines on cels were much more sophisticated machines that didn't break up the image into parallel lines like these. My forger presumably tried to make do with a less advanced photocopier, leaving a damning sign of the cel's fakeness.
I was just thinking. Parallel lines on cel tracings could have caused a HUGE problem with the picture broadcast, were a studio to actually try to use a low-grade photocopy tracing method.

Back then, nearly all televisions were still CRT's with a "frame" scanned onto the screen interlaced, Apparently, the even numbered lines were drawn first for one field, then back up to the top and draw the odd numbered lines, resulting in a complete frame. In the analog NTSC days (Japan historically used a variant of NTSC with a different black level that of American NTSC, but otherwise fully compatible I think.) The animation had to be converted from 24fps to 480i (effective 29.97 fps).

Am I wrong in thinking that parallel lines on cel tracings would be asking for trouble when combined with interlaced broadcasting techniques?
Jarmel
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Jarmel »

I'm curious, are copies a significant worry for sketches on shikishi? It seems like it would be much harder to make photocopies on shikishi but I'm sure it's doable.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Jarmel wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:19 pm I'm curious, are copies a significant worry for sketches on shikishi? It seems like it would be much harder to make photocopies on shikishi but I'm sure it's doable.
I would say that sketches are more of a worry for photocopies than Shikishi , though Shikishi are much more of a risk of buying a faked one. Cutiebunny has had a few examples in threads warning about fakes she has identified.

Some studios like Koyoto Animation have been selling artwork reproduced on top of the line copiers but are identified as such

https://www.amazon.com/Duplicate-origin ... 562&sr=8-4

Before those became available I did purchase this set of copies that were made for a fan club by the same studio and was identified as such
http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/mast ... esID=46895
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison