While changing out my cell bags...

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

While changing out my cell bags...

Post by kathpatty »

I find myself marveling that I not only had /but used the $$$$$$ for some of my cells. ...an opening for 800., or a rare for up to 2,000... 8)
They are still bright and beautiful and look lovely in my hand. I find myself still full on wonder at the beautiful art work of the gengas/ cels
Memories....... :cheers
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: While changing out my cell bags...

Post by sensei »

Much as I tend to visit my gallery to appreciate certain cels of mine, it really is a viscerally joyous experience to do bag replacement and take a moment to look at certain precious items with nothing between us but air -- no Itoya page, no cel bag, no digital simulacrum -- the unique artwork itself. And in my hands.

It's also a fine way to remind us that cel collections should be physically inspected every couple of months and bags replaced every couple of years ... good for you being a conscientious curator! :cheers
earl
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by earl »

When I post items to my gallery, I usually crop out the edges. I don't crop out the art of course, but most of the identifiable numbering, notes in the margins, the paint overage at the edges of backgrounds, etc. My thought is, in the unlikely event that someone takes my images and attempts to "sell" a piece (or otherwise represent that they own them), I'll be able to prove that it is actually mine (without the need to watermark). But, what this means is that I never get the full picture when looking at my gallery online. It's always nice to go through and look at the actual art. I almost always find some little tidbit that was cropped out and I'd forgotten about.
Come join us in the Animation Art Collectors slack chat!: http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

While I haven't been collecting very long, I can easily see where you're coming from.

Frankly, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way about pieces. I expected it to be the case, though.

Sometimes, even just a old scan from a seller will set the feeling off.

It's weird, I was in my cels and sketches the other day, I forgot what I was doing. As I recall, I looked at both a cel, and the accompanying douga.

Here's what I don't fully understand-looking at the cel, I was like "cool". Catching sight of the douga stopped me cold.

On it's face, it makes no sense. The cel is in a sense more colorful, and theoretically more complete. The douga on the other hand, isn't even of the same frame. Yet, for that moment, I was more taken with the douga that with the cel.

It actually cuts both ways though. When I think about things I have that I consider to be on the nicer end, it reminds me of items I haven't properly taken care of yet.

I just realized, I received my first cel around mid December. Didn't realize it had been that long. It's probably about time to check everything over. I'm rather looking forward to it-I think I found out something about one of my pieces I had completely overlooked! I want to make sure I'm right.