Decided to try EMS.

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Decided to try EMS.

Post by Pixel »

Did everyone make it through Winter Storm Toby okay last week? I thought I heard over a foot of snow in some places.

I finally bit the bullet and decided to try EMS shipping.

I consider SAL shipping to be in general successful, if a bit on the slow side.

I partly wanted to learn what to expect from Express, in case I ever felt I needed it for something in particular. At this point, I can't see using it on a regular basis, as the cost-benefit ratio isn't likely to regularly favor faster, more expensive shipping.

The parcel was collected in Tokyo last Tuesday morning local time. I was originally hoping to get it Friday or Saturday. I suppose that may have been a bit optimistic, even with agreeable weather along the much longer portions of the route.

Little did I know, the Postal Service routed the package through New York, NY with a massive blizzard bearing down on the Northeastern States.

Anyway, the package arrived today instead. I guess EMS did okay, though I don't understand why international express mail not bound for the Northeast was routed there in the middle of a snowstorm.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my experience. One thing I've learned-if it's coming to the US from Japan, I might as well assume it's going to come through JFK in New York.

Fastest SAL ~17 days, collection to my door, IIRC 100% arrival rate (5 of 5, IIRC)
EMS - 6 days, through widespread blizzard conditions.

As to the contents, I hope to share a bit about that soon. I will say that while one item isn't perfect, I can't say for sure if shipping had anything to do with it. So I'll give EMS the benefit of the doubt on that one.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: Decided to try EMS.

Post by ReiTheJelly »

It really depends on where you live. When I lived in Michigan, all my international parcels came into Chicago and were sorted through customs there. Now that I live in Alaska, all my international mail comes in through California. Arrival times vary (depends on how backed up customs is), but usually it arrives within a week. In 17 years of buying stuff from Japan, I've always paid for EMS and found it to be worth the money. The only time I ever went slow boat mail was when I ordered like 30 pounds of magazines. Took about 2 months to arrive.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Decided to try EMS.

Post by Pixel »

I would have thought EMS would come to me via Miami, FL (I live closer to Miami than NY, but by how much I'm not sure.)

I usually use Surface Air Lifted. Basically, it traverses Japan on the ground, then waits in Tokyo (or Osaka, what have you) until enough space can be found on a plane for it to fly to the States. Once it finally gets here, it eventually goes through customs. Then finally into the USPS for delivery.

The track record is excellent for arrivals, not so much on time. So far, no SAL package has showed up in less than two weeks, that I remember. Those who get them in less than 12 days must live close to a regional ISC or something.

Is EMS handled more carefully? I don't know. It is faster though.

In my first experience with EMS, it was almost three times more expensive than SAL in the case of SMJ. The EMS package was a bit heavier though.

I can see easily see why you's want EMS for items bound for Alaska. The USPS does good to move domestic mail around the "Lower 48".

I just typed in "Osaka", and I wasn't talking about a goofy anime character. I wonder how long it's been. 8O