Any way to tell an "All-Digital" Anime Series?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Any way to tell an "All-Digital" Anime Series?

Post by Pixel »

Is there any way to tell from the credits roll of a given series if animation production was "all-digital" or "paperless" (I.e. no/extremely few production sketches?

It's been bothering me-I can think of some series from which I would like to eventually collect at least production sketches. If I knew there were never any to begin with, it would spare me a lot of trouble that could potentially be used in more productive collecting.
bidibadiboo

Re: Any way to tell an "All-Digital" Anime Series?

Post by bidibadiboo »

Pixel wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:32 pm Is there any way to tell from the credits roll of a given series if animation production was "all-digital" or "paperless" (I.e. no/extremely few production sketches?

It's been bothering me-I can think of some series from which I would like to eventually collect at least production sketches. If I knew there were never any to begin with, it would spare me a lot of trouble that could potentially be used in more productive collecting.
Nope, there’s no way to tell from the credits.

Anyway most if not all anime series are still done on paper but yeah in the near future this will change and new series might be all digital. ;(
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

I think one of the series I would be looking for is from 2014. Is it still a bit early for sketches from a series that recent to appear on the market?
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Most Anime series are still done the normal way IE: sketches , scanned into computer , inbetween work animated on computer , colored ect.
It is just that studios are not releasing the artwork for sale.

The only shows I have seen in which look as though they have been done "all-digital" Kemono Friends & RWBY. Other shows have used pure computer "3D" content at times such as Darling in the Franxx and the new Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

JWR wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:01 am Most Anime series are still done the normal way IE: sketches , scanned into computer , inbetween work animated on computer , colored ect.
It is just that studios are not releasing the artwork for sale.

The only shows I have seen in which look as though they have been done "all-digital" Kemono Friends & RWBY. Other shows have used pure computer "3D" content at times such as Darling in the Franxx and the new Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory
I'd considered that possibility too, that the studios had gotten "smart" about it. Perhaps they think they can make bank off of limited-edition "relizu" by withholding the originals?

I tried to watch something known in English as "Gourmet Girl Graffiti". I couldn't really get into it, but I noticed the animation had a very strange look. I call it "sterile". You know, it looks almost too "perfect". It's hard to describe. I can't help but wonder if it was all-digital.

This reminds me, there was on ONA/on-web animation that was said to be the pilot for Azumanga Daioh. my understanding is it was done entirely on computer. Also, it was before most of the series voice casting as well. Only Akiko Hiramatsu is present from the series here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWP6WKh4WFE

At one point, Tomo takes the video camera out in the hallway. When she does, the scene is rendered in 3D. Keep in mind this is getting close to 20 years ago now. She runs down the hallway to the left of the classroom. Behind her comes agitated yelling. When Tomo turns around...

azu_web_3d.jpg
azu_web_3d.jpg (58.54 KiB) Viewed 2895 times

The hallway is obviously 3D rendered, and very simplistic compared to those of the 2D-animated series. Is the character rendered as a 3D model? The quality is very bad, but as best I can tell this is supposed to be Yomi.

Whoever this is, I find this scene quite intriguing-she is the only character I've seen from the series to be rendered into "proper 3D space" outside of a video game. I note she is facing away from the camera. I don't know if this is a clue one way or the other. There are no shadows cast by the figure into the environment, which to me suggests a 2D-on-3D composite. They could have turned off shadow casting on the model if their computers were having a hard time rendering the scene.

There is some evidence of light hitting the character like it would a 3D model, but this could have been faked.
bidibadiboo

Post by bidibadiboo »

Pixel wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:45 am I think one of the series I would be looking for is from 2014. Is it still a bit early for sketches from a series that recent to appear on the market?
What anime you talking about?
Sadly there’s tons of anime series that we won’t ever get to see any artwork :/
bidibadiboo

Post by bidibadiboo »

If an anime show were done digitally I don’t think you could to tell the difference, several key animators are already drawing digitally.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

bidibadiboo wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:02 pm
Pixel wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:45 am I think one of the series I would be looking for is from 2014. Is it still a bit early for sketches from a series that recent to appear on the market?
What anime you talking about?
Sadly there’s tons of anime series that we won’t ever get to see any artwork :/
I have a sad feeling this might be one of them.

I've actually mentioned it before, it's called HaNaYaMaTa, often with the captialization simplified to Hanayamata. Basically, it's about a group of girls who form a Yosakoi dance club, with the ultimate goal to dance in a big festival dedicated to the dance form.

Here's a screencap (sorry about the frame-tearing. Apparently I caught some vertical sync weirdness in the screencap.)

hanayamata_hd_scr.jpg
hanayamata_hd_scr.jpg (401.19 KiB) Viewed 2885 times

Right/Front to Left/Back -

Tami - Generally sensible and well-mannered, sweet and very pretty. Some ballet training.
Naru - Insecure, very perceptive. Sort of the series chief protagonist, I think.
Hana - Energetic and enthusiastic, the girl who sets the club in motion
Yaya - Occasionally ill-tempered, and a bit sarcastic at times. The club's "singer" (she was in a band at one point)
Machi - The [usually] serious one, quite severe early on. Joins the club late in the series. Student Council President

Sally-sensei [not pictured] - A substitute teacher who becomes the club's advisor. A bit silly and scatterbrained, at times.

This "trailer" on YouTube doesn't really tell you much about the show, but it does give you and idea of the animation style. It sort of feels digital, but somehow, it doesn't have the "digitally sterilized" look of some anime. BTW, Sally is shown in the trailer. (Hint: One of the five girls is her sister. Can you guess which?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW5CxoWQnvM

I like the music too, by the way. That's Hana singing lead in the trailer. This is one of those "je ne pas se quois" anime. I will say that the color work in particular is excellent.

I've attached a screenshot of what I mean by "digital sterilized". From "Koufuku Graffiti"

Hmmm, seems a bit faded vs the one coming into my satellite box. When viewing from Anime Network On-Demand, the colors seem much brighter than this. I don't know if you can see what I'm talking about or not-maybe my receiver box is over-saturating the image. It still looks a little too "clean" to me though. Maybe this series was on-paper too and I'm just crazy, I'm not sure.
Attachments
koufuku_grafiti_scr.jpg
koufuku_grafiti_scr.jpg (378.82 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Pixel wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:36 pm I've attached a screenshot of what I mean by "digital sterilized". From "Koufuku Graffiti"

Hmmm, seems a bit faded vs the one coming into my satellite box. When viewing from Anime Network On-Demand, the colors seem much brighter than this. I don't know if you can see what I'm talking about or not-maybe my receiver box is over-saturating the image. It still looks a little too "clean" to me though. Maybe this series was on-paper too and I'm just crazy, I'm not sure.
Sorry if this sounded a bit sarcastic, I was just puzzled over why the screencap of Koufuku Graffiti looked so faded. Maybe it was an issue with the video from whomever captured it.

The color saturation levels weren't the only thing. Something about the motion of in Graffiti seemed a bit, I can't explain it. Sometimes you can sense something is different without being able to explain it.

By the way, something that may be of interest-Animation production for Hanayamata was by Madhouse. That must mean they were the studio behind it.