Question about Japanese CD Packaging

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Question about Japanese CD Packaging

Post by Pixel »

I recently acquired this soundtrack CD. It came in a sealed clear plastic pouch. I thought I might be getting an unopened disc, but this doesn't look like new packaging.

If you look closely, you can see a line near the upper quarter of the CD where the pouch is sealed. Is this typical for second-hand Japanese CD's being resold?

mizuiro_jidai_ost_back_esm.jpg
mizuiro_jidai_ost_back_esm.jpg (305.32 KiB) Viewed 3133 times

It's not the end of the world if it's used, but I would rather be sure before I unseal it.
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Re: Question about Japanese CD Packaging

Post by jiangdc »

What's the seller's description?
The way you describe the sealing is not a surprise to me because I got some new CDs and BDs these days. Their packaging and sealing are similar to this one.
Due to the age of this CD, the package itself may get old and dirty due to storage. I will not rule out the possibility of a new CD just because of the packaging. :P
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Seller's description, in Original Japanese.

状態につきましては、個人的な判断となりますのでご了承下さい。

帯:良好/盤:良好/ブックレット:良好。

外見につきましては、必ず写真にて確認願います。

あくまでも中古扱いでの出品となりますので、細かな部分でこちらの見落としがある場合でも、ノークレームノーリターンでお願い致します。

If it is actually used, that's fine. My issue was that if it happened to be new, I didn't want to go about casually breaking a possible factory seal.

Seller's photo of spine-

I didn't mean to imply I thought the outer packaging was dirty, just that it has a resealable flap, as opposed to shrink wrap like you'd see in the west.

The camera I used for the photo at the very top is an old Samsung digital that doesn't handle less than ideal lighting particularly well.
Last edited by Pixel on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Error: double post
Ginta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ginta »

I think it's used or the seller would probably say it's new.

状態につきましては、個人的な判断となりますのでご了承下さい。
As for the condition, please acknowledge it will be your own judgement.

帯:良好/盤:良好/ブックレット:良好。
Obi: okay / Disc: okay / Booklet: okay

外見につきましては、必ず写真にて確認願います。
As for the outward appearance, please confirm with certainty the photograph.

あくまでも中古扱いでの出品となりますので、細かな部分でこちらの見落としがある場合でも、ノークレームノーリターンでお願い致します。
Because this is (treated as?) a throughly used display (?), in the case of small parts overlooked, there are no returns.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Thank you for working that out Ginta.

It's kind of funny. The collector in me would rather it had been new in a way, but the part of me that wants to analyze and comprehend would rather it be used-as long as it isn't damaged that's fine. Being used, I can open it and study the contents without significantly affecting the condition.

I know I didn't show off the front. I haven't quite decided how to present this CD. I consider the information (the audio data as well as that printed on it) to be very valuable in helping me with at least one of my pieces.

I get into this a lot with broad coverage pieces. That is, pieces that don't strictly reference one particular part of a series. It is difficult to figure out how best to make the general work with the specific.

As far as this CD, I do appreciate that it is wrapped up anyway, probably kept it much safer during the long journey from old Nippon.

I've noticed that nearly all YJ sellers don't want to deal in returns. Outbound international shipping from the US makes a return on something like this futile anyway-at least as far as the original seller is concerned.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

This is a CD from 1996. It's highly unlikely for it to be new/unsealed.

This is purely a used CD. We have lots of plastic bags like this that can be used to package things nicely, so even if the outward packaging is new and looks nice, it certainly doesn't mean that the inside is new/unsealed.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Thank you for confirming that. I sort of thought that a properly new CD would have a hard seal that couldn't be reversed, but I didn't know for sure how things CD's were published in Japan.

I like that Japanese sellers try to keep CD's clean. Lot's of times that isn't done in the States.

It looks like the vast majority of sellers state explicitly when a CD is second-hand, but it can be hard to find that information if you're like like me and not anywhere near as good with Japanese as you'd like.

As I said, this being a used CD is cool with me. I'm much more comfortable investigating the information on the CD that way, which is what I really wanted to do all along.

The disc itself is in great shape for a 20 year old CD.