Douga Artist

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
bingk

Douga Artist

Post by bingk »

Has anyone ever found a way to identify the original Douga artist?
Now-a-days, modern anime and cartoons are very forward about who animated what but seems to be more difficult when looking at older anime.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Douga Artist

Post by Pixel »

I'm not the most knowledgable person on the subject. Here's how I understand it.

"Keyframe" douga are douga that are traced from keyframe "genga" and any desired corrections (or "shuusei") and guidance that may be supplied by the animation director for that series and episode. The guidance may apply to the entire sequence or any particular frame.

Sometimes the chief animation director will step in as well.

In-between douga are drawn by in-betweeners to fill in the gaps.

The animation director will often check keyframes over and, if the douga is approved for the next stage, the sequence number in the top right is circled. In both cases, in-betweeners generally carry out the work of the final douga stages.

It is not generally possible to know which in-betweener did which douga.

That's my understanding of the process, though I'm not sure I have it all correct.
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by jiangdc »

That's really hard.... I don't have a clue unless I have the cart bag.
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

jiangdc wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm That's really hard.... I don't have a clue unless I have the cart bag.
By chance do you mean the "cut bag", DC?

Studios used to move assets like douga around in "cut bags", which were sort of like envelopes containing materials pertaining to certain sequences.
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by jiangdc »

Pixel wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:13 pm
jiangdc wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm That's really hard.... I don't have a clue unless I have the cart bag.
By chance do you mean the "cut bag", DC?

Studios used to move assets like douga around in "cut bags", which were sort of like envelopes containing materials pertaining to certain sequences.
Yes, I typed it wrong.
Like this one, if you go back to the eposide ending with the given info on the bag, it is possible to figure out the douga artist.
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/
bingk

Post by bingk »

Thank you guys so much for this information!
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

A bit more information, the cutbag in DC's photo originally contained assets for Episode 24, Cut 206 of "Chrno Crusade [sic]."
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Were you able to find the original artist?

My limited understanding of kanji tells me that the last name of the artist is Hashimoto, but when I checked ANN under the series, I couldn't find anyone with that last name. You might need to roll through that episode's credits to find the artist.

In regards to older series, some of the more popular ones did create doujinshi where the artist's cuts are shown. Sailor Moon had 2 that I know of, and more recently there were some created for the first Cardcaptor Sakura series. It's a lot harder to document an artist's work when a series has 50+ episodes whereas nowadays, a season consists of 12-15 episodes.