2019 Year in Review & 2020 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

2019 Year in Review & 2020 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Post by sensei »

It's time for the YoR/Resolution thread! I began this post back in 2006, and with the help of Cutiebunny it's become a Rubberslug tradition for more than a decade. Now it returns for its 14th year. With the old year fast wrapping up, it's time to look back on its high (and low) points and make some plans for 2020.

1. What was the best thing that's happened to your gallery/collection in 2019?

2. What was the most surprising thing that happened to your gallery/collection this year?

3. Which piece were you most proud of acquiring in 2019?

4. What's something that concerns you about your collecting experience?

5. What cel/sketch-related resolution do you want to make for 2020?

6. If you posted a cel/sketch-related resolution for 2019 or for 2018, how true did you stay to it?

I'll post my responses in a little while, but meantime, take a moment to look back and look forward.
sensei

Re: 2019 Year in Review & 2020 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Post by sensei »

Best thing: Got seriously to work on doing a complete (no poop, cel by cel, douga by douga, genga by genga complete) inventory of my collection. I'm paused for the holidays now, but I have gotten a huge number of sketch boxes catalogued and need only to approach some of my really difficult issues in the new year. That will make ongoing maintenance and ultimate disposal of the collection much more feasible.

Surprising thing: the market dried up so completely in July, and my energy shifted to doing my inventory. So I have not actually purchased any animation art since June 6. More surprisingly, when I went to check on this date, I went to Rinkya.com and found that it had vanished into thin air. Well, there's always Mandarake (maybe...)

Most proud of: Tricky, but I'd say this cut showing Shinku reacting to the injury Suigintou gave her in Round One of their Alice Game match. That's a key moment, and the set included the layout, rough, genga, and shuusei, showing all the stages that this crucial moment went through on the way to the final production.

Concerns me: The growing insecurity of the virtual platforms that anime art collecting has relied on. This forum is growing increasingly antique, Rubberslug is irretrievably broken in some ways that prevent fresh blood from entering the community, Photobucket (which I relied on to import images for my gallery) also is broken and slow to recover, and Rinkya is ... where?

Resolution for 2020: Finish the dang collection inventory. It's 80% done, how hard can the remaining 20% be? (Don't answer that...)

True to 2019 resolution? "More maintenance, more conservation and apt use of energy." For once, I nailed that. Also "less auction browsing as I come to terms with the fact that I have a LOT of stuff." Though to be sure they market handled that for me.

Would add a sig. but all you'd see now is "Sorry, This image is unavailable." So -- Seeya!

Sensei aka Bill Ellis
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I personally can't say that much really happened to my gallery due to real life interference. This was the year as a home owner I needed to take care of major projects we had saved up for during the last few year (New Roof , replaced carpet with wood floors & repaint of the outside of the house) as well as running up a large vet bill to end up gaining 45 days of having our Moose get spoiled with love before the cancer took him from us.
On the cat front I am up to 19 kittens saved and adopted from the feral colony in my work over the last 2 years with only 2 being adopted by us.

2. What was the most surprising thing that happened to your gallery/collection this year?

That the Cel/Sketch front pretty much dried up for me this year. Most that came up for auction I might have been interesting in were ones I already had similar ones in my collection already. What surprised me was that a lot of nice pieces on the Comic side of my collecting became available and I was able to pickup a few important pieces.

I can say that I never expected to get a comic art piece that I was interested in years ago that took a while to resurface.
http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB3/viewto ... =5&t=31743
What made it special is that it was done for a tribute for my friend Bernie Wrightson a few months before he passed away in 2017 So even though it was large and I will need to get a display case made for it , The seller really did not understand what he had. It was priced as if it was just a made up life sized bust of the comic character Bernie created not realizing the Bernie actually signed it and now that he is passed the value of a one of a kind item like this is worth 10 times his asking price.

Mainly the lack of cels/sketches from series I collect available for purchase.

I am hoping to continue to look and fine new pieces to add to my collection be it anime or comic art.

6. If you posted a cel/sketch-related resolution for 2019 or for 2018, how true did you stay to it?

I would say yes & no for I planned to continue the search but was not very successful locating and purchasing pieces
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I can't believe that this thread has gone on for as long as it has. I also can't believe that some of us are still collecting. Am I the only one that enjoys reading the Resolution threads of years past?

...yes...I know I'm a dork...totally realized that long ago :cheers

In February, I went to a small convention in Texas called Ushicon. Their main guest was Ikuko Itoh. Sadly, I had to deal with one of my least favorite translators (I call him the C--kblocking Cowboy because the stupid hat he wears...), but thanks to the auction, I managed to add 2 really nice Princess Tutu sketches to my collection. I brought along certain key frames from my Mercury Aqua Rhapsody douga set, so it was neat having her go through it and actually identify the sketches that she herself personally drew.

TBH, the lack of updates. I did not touch my gallery much this year. I've lost a lot of motivation to update simply because Rubberslug feels like it's been largely abandoned. Updating this platform takes time and money, and I'd be willing to contribute funds towards that work, but it seems like Jason's heart isn't in it.

Although I mentioned it on my resolution comments last year, how much Cardcaptor Sakura prices have increased. Knowing I would lose because I refuse to pay airfare-to-Japan prices for 1 regular production CCS cel with background, I bid on an episode 40 cel. What I didn't know was how badly I'd be outbidded.

Cel ended at 345,000 yen. My bid was over $2.5K less than that. I ain't even tryin' to compete with these cats.

Shikishi - The Ikuko Itoh sketches.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6rrOhgjxV6 ... _copy_link

Cel - I picked up a couple of settei cels from Sailorstars this year. Sailor Moon prices have really plummeted since the high that they hit several years ago. I managed to get a couple of nice cels for reasonable prices. Also managed to add a CCS episode 40 cel with matching background and without paying 345,000 yen, so I guess that's something..?

Nengajo - Best acquisition by far here was a Skip Beat sketch by Yoshiki Nakamura. Never thought I'd see any artwork from her since it's still a very popular ongoing manga series in Japan. Not a huge fan of Year of the Tiger, but I guess I can live with it.

A couple things...

I'm really not happy about SMJ closing. That was my primary deputy and I've used them for well over a decade. I guess people move on and all, but to not send any notice or post anything on their website..that's left a pretty bitter taste in my mouth. As a long time customer, the lack of notification made me feel that my business never mattered. Like I mentioned in the other SMJ post, I wish Nick the best in whatever he chooses to do next, but I really think that this should have been handled far better than finding out when trying to bid that the service is closing.

I don't like how there's 0 maintenance in keeping Rubberslug running. It was nice having a concentrated area where people could go to view artwork. Do I really want to work on a gallery whose design just hasn't kept up with all the improvements of the past 15 years? And do I really want to go elsewhere to share what I have knowing that in another 10+ years, I'll likely have to do the same again. That's really been the biggest reason as to why I don't want to update. It's a lot easier for me to post on Instagram than it is for me to try to write paragraphs on RS.

I grow weary of convention staff becoming upset that money isn't being spent at auction when they fail to secure good artistic guests. The one year where the Yuri On Ice artists showed and one sketch sold for $7K was a fluke. You are not going to get that kind of money from 95% of all artistic guests, particularly if the only artists you're inviting are in between animators or character designers whose last notable work was popular 20 years ago. I also don't feel like making it rain when a convention decides to prevent their guests from drawing because they feel that people will be less likely to bid. That's never been the case for me. I actually spend more at a convention's auctions when I get quick sketches for free in return.

I really need to crack down on a certain person and receive the stuff that I've bought. He's a nice guy and a friend to a lot of us sketch collectors, but he can be flakey.

I also need to decide what I should do about the gallery. Should I even continue to update on RS or should I just say "eff it" and post on Insta..?

I said that I wanted to scan all my CCS backgrounds and I didn't make much of a dent on that. I also didn't post any of the scans. I can't believe one of those backgrounds just sold for 10,500 yen on BWA. I remember when some of them would cycle on YJ for weeks at 800 yen.

Get off my lawn!
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

-The fact I have one and updated it before end of year! yay~XD
-Trying to play around with graphics and added a bit extra touch.

-I don't have it in my hands yet, but I managed to win a gorgeous Blackjack OVA scene master set for a decent price. ;o;

-It's probably going to be that Blackjack set.;

-Mola go bye bye~ must stop seeing awesome stuff.;
-What happened to image hosting sites...*cough*photobucket i'm looking at you*cough*
-protecting these babies!

-Arion *_* waiting for a nice one to show up in future~
-Mikkan Enikki! I'm coming for you! Wait for me!>-<
-Wanna make at least one Fancel sometime...

n/a
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

I made quite a few updates to my gallery over the course of the year:

In February, I added cels from a few videogame based series: MegaMan, Street Fighter II, and Super Mario Bros;
In March, I added to the 1985 Vampire Hunter D, and Bloodlust;
In April, additions were made to Demon of Steel and Windaria;
In September, I put up cels from Tale of Genji, as well as a couple of Kawajiri cels from Demon City and Ninja Scroll;
In October, I had a Yoshikazu Yasuhiko update with an Arion cel, and Giant Gorg cels;
And, in November, I did a pretty extensive Cutey Honey update.

From my updates, I added three new sections to my gallery in 2019: Demon of Steel, Giant Gorg, and Super Mario Bros.
For a while, I've been looking for cels of the monster mechs from Demon of Steel, and the Red Bioroid from Southern Cross. I even mentioned it in a thread in 2018.

Surprisingly, in 2019, I bought Demon of Steel cels, and genga of the Red Bioroid from Southern Cross.

2019 was an amazing year for me and cels. Not only did I find impossible to find items, but there were many other primo production art pieces (most of which were way too much money for me). But, I was able to acquire quite a few awesome pieces. A lot of them were expensive, but not completely unattainable.

I got these great, classic 70s, heroically designed, oversized Ga-Keen hanken cels featuring the two leads, Takeru Hojo and Mai Kazuki.

I got cels from perennial favorites, like: Lupin the 3rd, and City Hunter; badass 80s-90s shows, like: Demon City, Ninja Scroll, and Violence Jack; and cels of characters and mechs from well known anime creators like: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, Shinji Aramaki, Haruhiko Mikimoto, and Clamp... heck, I even got a cool Kenshin cel among others.

And, I'm not a complete Old Skool snob. I got some genga from 2017-2018's Garo: Vanishing Line.

Right now, I'm waiting to see if Rinkya will get a new warehouse... but, I am tempted to switch to either Buyee or Celga.

So, I have options. I'm not limited to only YJP sellers who will accept PayPal or Money Orders, bartering collectable stamps for cels, or coming up with phony travel plans to acquire yen... things are still better than they used to be in days long past. :)

Also, it sorta looks like Mandarake Nakano is cutting back on their Everyday cel auctions, and saving them all for the Big Web Auctions.
As long as I keep it vague enough to just say, "I'll continue to update my gallery", I can claim that I stay true to it every year! /no1
Why yes, I updated my gallery more in 2019 than I did in 2018. :D

Happy New Year! :yay
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Was able to cut spontaneous purchases down a level, partially due to the shrinking availability. Wasteful hobby spending has been an issue for me for many years, and every year I could pick out over a handful of items that don't truly belong. It feels nice to rekindle with discipline on the 10th year collecting.

It's still going fairly strong. though I think I'm relatively satisfied with the quantity now. Also, a few items that I didn't expect would show up in my collecting years did show up.

My favorite of the year goes to this fan art piece:

http://lee.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_i ... mID=428398

Proxy(s) going offline without prior notice as fewer items are supplied to the market and collectors go into dormant. Mandarake combining Everyday with BWA, making Everyday nearly nonexistent. Limited market pushing individual pieces into never before seen high prices.

Only purchase what I ancitipate to truly enjoy to own for a long time.

NA
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

Hi all,

Great to see everyone's posts, some interesting material in there. GuyverIII - that Demon City cel is killer!

It's been a good year collecting for me, lots coming up on Mandy and YJ and elsewhere that's been keeping me busy.

probably setting up my new Wordpress site. While I like my RS gallery and do still update it, I'm also aware that one day it will end so I set up on another platform as a hedge.

I think like others what suprises me is that I'm still going strong collecting wise, I had more stuff then I could bid for this year which is a nice place to be!

My Miyuki Chan cels, they're choc full of Clamp goodnes: http://tmpc.rubberslug.com/gallery/mast ... esID=51612

Hmm like others it's the dying of the infrastructure in the hobby, both RS and the various deputies with a question mark over them or just plain calling time. I've been a regular Rinkya user and have been caught off guard with the abrupt change in their circumstances.

Alas while I would like to keep buying more, I really need to cut back this year. I spent a lot last year, and I really need to focus on other more practical concerns this year. I won't stop completely, but it will have to be much more considered.

NA
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by jiangdc »

I went to Anime NYC last year which is the first time I attend anime expo. I met Choi Eun-Young and got a sktech of "Asakusa Midori" sketch from her. She is really a good person and I really appreciate this experience.
https://www.jianshu.com/p/6ec9ac80b55b

I won those original manga pages from kakushikoto and around a week or something later, this manga got announces for TV Anime adaptation.

Mutsumi Inomata is GOD!!!

Running out of money. I need to slow down a little bit until I start my job.

This year only aim for those I REALLY Want.

Still working on building up Chinese collectors community.
This year Chinese anime cel collector forum was finally built. Welcome everyone to come and say hello.
http://cellove.com/
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

jiangdc wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:28 am Mutsumi Inomata is GOD!!!
XD So happy to see another fan of this artist! Really love artist work. The cel you have is beautiful.
(It would be so awesome to find a cel of Tales of Destiny video game opening. Have you come across this/ Does this even exists? ;0; Wish I could see a Leon cel~)
GuyvarIII wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:55 pm In September, I put up cels from Tale of Genji, as well as a couple of Kawajiri cels from Demon City and Ninja Scroll;
That Demon City Shinjuku cel is to epic! 8O Really love that scene in movie. That’s such a holy grail! (How do you even store huge pieces like this? 8O)
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by jiangdc »

Fiore wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:19 pm
jiangdc wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:28 am Mutsumi Inomata is GOD!!!
XD So happy to see another fan of this artist! Really love artist work. The cel you have is beautiful.
(It would be so awesome to find a cel of Tales of Destiny video game opening. Have you come across this/ Does this even exists? ;0; Wish I could see a Leon cel~)
GuyvarIII wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:55 pm In September, I put up cels from Tale of Genji, as well as a couple of Kawajiri cels from Demon City and Ninja Scroll;
That Demon City Shinjuku cel is to epic! 8O Really love that scene in movie. That’s such a holy grail! (How do you even store huge pieces like this? 8O)
Thank you and I'm so glad to know you also like her art. I think Tales of Destiny genga is somewhat still possible in very rare chance. I never saw any cel and I highly doubt whether the op anime was painted out of Cel or painted digitally. Wish you get pieces if Leon in the near future!
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

Captain Haddock wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:50 pm ... GuyverIII - that Demon City cel is killer!
Fiore wrote: That Demon City Shinjuku cel is to epic! 8O Really love that scene in movie. That’s such a holy grail! (How do you even store huge pieces like this? 8O)
Thank you Captain Haddock and Fiore. I was surprised myself when I won the auction. The cel and the detail in the background are awesome. It's like, even when unconscious, Kyoya protects Sayaka.

Captain Haddock: Those are some very nice Miyuki Chan cels. But, I should also congratulate you on your great Kyoya.

Fiore: I keep oversized cels in large art portfolios. It's about 21" wide by a little over 10" tall, so it works fine for that storage solution. I do have a few cels that are too big for even that, and I have them stored in poster frames.
jiangdc wrote: Mutsumi Inomata is GOD!!!
That's a very pretty Leda cel. I never got into the Tales of Destiny RPGs, but I liked her character designs in Utsunomiko and Windaria.
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

jiangdc wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:22 pm I think Tales of Destiny genga is somewhat still possible in very rare chance. I never saw any cel and I highly doubt whether the op anime was painted out of Cel or painted digitally.
I was wondering too if it’s digital or cel. It’s hard for me to tell. Both Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia had beautiful openings.<3
Will definitely keep an eye out for any douga. ;0;
GuyvarIII wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:25 am I keep oversized cels in large art portfolios. It's about 21" wide by a little over 10" tall, so it works fine for that storage solution. I do have a few cels that are too big for even that, and I have them stored in poster frames.
Wow, cels can get so long!; love the poster frame storage solution. /no1
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

Oops. Double post.
Last edited by graymouser on Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

Hard to say. Things have been getting slower and slower. I guess it would have to be that I have found a new way of keeping track of my purchases. Before I just had a bunch of lists made out on my computer. I finally managed to organize everything with Excel. Now when I get any new item (or trade or sell), I just have to enter it once and the program updates all my totals / statistics automatically.

There was a nice cel I have always admired in another collectors gallery. I was very surprised to be able to get it from a third party. I never even knew it was available for trade/offers/sale.

Although I am tempted to say it was the Nightwalker cel above, to be fair, I did not do much more than trade for it. There was another cel that I had to fight for so it involved a little more work.

I am rather saddened by how little is on the market anymore. I used to buy 40-50 cels a year. Last year I only acquired 7. So far this year I have only bought 1 (am still waiting for it to arrive).

Not sure. My collecting has slowed down so much, it is hard to think of how I would do things differently. I could say do more impulse buys,... but last year 4 out of the 7 cel purchases were impulse buys. Only 2 of the 7 were cels I had been watching / admiring for a long time. I have not seen a wish list cel come up since 2018; and I have a huge wish list (private list is 132 cels long - including "upgrades").

Maybe I could be more aggressive in bidding, but it is hard to get that way with non-wish list items.

To be honest, I don't remember.