Animage Reproduction Series Sets

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Animage Reproduction Series Sets

Post by Fiore »

I’m curious if anyone knows much about the series sets that were released by Animage? How many series sets did they make?

So far I only know that series 1 is Nasicaa, series 2 is Laputa and series 4 is Arion. The way all three of these were released varied a lot. Nausicaa has the sequence numbers/cel holes/separate background layer(!); (I’m guessing they changed that because it would be confusing telling difference from fake/official). Laputa doesn’t have the holes/numbers. Arion set looks like it doesn’t have separate layers like the others.

What was series 3? Did they make anymore sets after series 4? When did they stop making them?;o;

I don’t know much about reproduction cels other than they are machine made.(They look similar to Anime Bromides to me;) They look to be smaller than regular sized cels. Are they smaller? Do they also experience similar deterioration like normal cels would?

Does anyone else collect repro cels from other company brands?

Thanks for any help! :)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Animage Reproduction Series Sets

Post by sensei »

I don't know the Animage series, but I have several "rilezu" cels produced by Office F&O from series that premiered in the early 2000-09 decade, six from Haibane Renmei and one from Yumeria. The rilezu was intended to be a collector's item, as it was certified to be one of a kind, produced from the sketch art used by the studios to create the anime.

The Haibane cels came with pencil sketches and matching laser-printed backgrounds, along with a frame with a sticker certifying the cel as a product authorized by the studio that produced the series. However, the studio that produced this series refused to allow any authentic studio art to be released to collectors. So the sketches were what are called "clean-up" sketches that reduced the original CGI layers to a single one in order to paint the image on one cel sheet. I do not know what art was used to make these clean-up sketches, but I assume that it was not physical pencil-on-paper art but probably scans of the art that had been used to create the CGI images. The cels made by Office F&O were, however, hand-painted in the normal way, and so I'd assume that they would be subject to the potential issues of intrinsic vice that affect production cels. However, there are interesting variations in the practice. One of my Haibane cels is in fact painted on three separate layers and came with four separate sketches (none, I think, an authentic production douga).

This practice too was subject to variation, even within Office F&O's practice. At times the production dougas were used to produce the trace lines on cel stock, which were then handpainted on the back in the usual way. My Yumeria rilezu came with what looks to be an authentic production douga. Office F&O also did a rilezu series devoted to scenes from Rozen Maiden. I do not own any of these, but many of the sets of authentic production materials that came onto the market likely came from this concern after they had produced and sold a rilezu from that cut. Often I found that the sketch set that came up for sale on YHJ was complete -- layouts, roughs, gengas, shuuseis, dougas -- except for one douga. On checking, I found that the rilezu sold by Office F&O fit that particular frame, and so I infer that the paper douga had been retained and sold with the cel.

I also have a repro cel from Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne (2000-01) that was produced by Toei Animation and evidently sold in their studio gift shop for visitors doing a tour of this facility. These were done in sets of identical images, but individually hand-painted on cel sheets, then packaged up in a frame with the series and studio logos. My repro did not come with a paper sketch, nor do I think any of the other KKJ repros had sketches.

Hope this helps widen your sense of how these repro or rilezu cels were made.
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

Thanks for this info Sensei!:)
I was able to search up a few Rilezu cels by Office F&O, and found a few that featured the Gravitation series! They look really nice. That's interesting that they produced these till 2009.

Wonder if any other companies still do these? I remember seeing a Saint Seiya Rilezu cel from the Omega series and that series started in 2012 and ended 2014.
I really appreciate that they hand paint these cels!<3

I wasn't able to view your cel images because rubberslug is still down, so i'll check back later. Thank you for sharing!:)
That's really neat how you got a lot with each of your Rilezu cels. It's almost like getting an official cel from the series itself. Those anime series are great!<3

Would really love to see a Rozen Maiden one in one of my searches one day.

It's a shame most Repro's don't come with so much, but that was nice of Animage to almost replicate the real thing with their Nasicaa Series. I ended up ordering the series 4 set of Arion, so i'll probably share images in this post and give my feedback on Repro cels.XD
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

(Forgot to leave an update post~)

These are the Arion ones from the Animage Set 4
It came with large prints as well.They are very nice! Love them!<3
http://dandycorsets.rubberslug.com/gall ... mID=431284
http://dandycorsets.rubberslug.com/gall ... mID=431283
http://dandycorsets.rubberslug.com/gall ... mID=431281
http://dandycorsets.rubberslug.com/gall ... mID=431285
The Repros are very thin and semi transparent. Printing is done on the front. Almost similar to Clear files, but more on the thinner, flimsy and transparent side (at least this one is).

This is the Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust one I got.
http://dandycorsets.rubberslug.com/gall ... mID=431180
It is made very different from the other ones. Unlike the way the Arion Repro's were printed with the ink embedded in the sheet, this one is very course heavy and gritty on the printing from behind and sits on the acetate. Very easy for it to get scratched, but very lovely. I love how this can stand up with the background making this layered effect.<3

@Sensei:
I was able to view your Repro cel's. They are lovely! My favorite is the Haibane Renmei collection. It's so nice they come with backgrounds.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Thanks for passing on these scans and photos. The Arion set is a really attractive set of art for fans of this series, and I appreciate seeing the range of cels and prints the set includes. And while I'm not a devotee of the VHD saga, I can agree with your vote on the quality of animation. I just have the one genga (two actually) from the Bloodlust movie but I was blown away by its virtuosity:

Carmilla's bloody body cut in two by D's sword

Madhouse loved to animate liquids, and this cut really showed what they could do when they had a properly splashy/splattery subject.

Thanks for the comments on the Haibane repros. They were for a time much fought over, as the studio that made them implied that there were only 25 of them in total. But I think what they were saying is that they had chosen only 25 cuts from which to make rilezu. For some cuts they made cels from four or five moments, and for others there was never more than one. So there are at least 50, maybe more -- but no two the same, just like production cels. And it is nice to have the backgrounds, even as laser-printed copies, as they give insights into how the watercolor painters made the very handsome and effective backdrops. Haibane is one of those series that creates the illusion that the places where the action occurs really exists, even though we viewers are only privileged to see just a few rooms. (A bit like Downton Abbey, except those rooms really do exist and now are the focus of popular tourist tours for series addicts. (My wife and I modestly dressed up in our finest to go see the movie last year.)

Thanks again for sharing.
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

Those Bloodlust Genga are amazingly detailed and really capture that scary feeling!
Madhouse loved to animate liquids, and this cut really showed what they could do when they had a properly splashy/splattery subject.
(Omg your right, Instantly X The movie popped into my head, and I wasn't sure if they worked on it, but they did.)

I saw your, The Bomb Drops: Shuusei version genga and that looks so fantastic! Really love seeing that animated.
I definitely need to search other galleries that feature special effects like that. It's not only neat to see, but great to study from.

Genga's and douga's are so pretty. They have really grown on me a lot since I started collecting.<3
I think the first ever douga's I saw was by Satoshi Urushihara a long time ago. I think it was in an artbook, but at the time I didn't know it was douga. Just thought it was his style of sketching. /swt

Oh yay, another Downton Abbey fan!! lol
I had a chance to go to the museum exhibition they had last year! Was fun and nostalgic experience. Aww that is so neat you both got to dress up! Really puts you into the movie.
When I went to see the movie the same year, me and my cousin just teared up at the end. :bawl So good~ everyone was so into it that they were "ohhing" and "ahhing" at big parts in sync, and a few were dressed up so nice too. Hope they make another movie.<3