What is the most amount of money you’ve spent on any production art?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Ichigos
Otaku - Fanatic

What is the most amount of money you’ve spent on any production art?

Post by Ichigos »

Any cel/douga/genga etc that you’ve spent a lot of $ on? Was it worth it?
Image Image
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: What is the most amount of money you’ve spent on any production art?

Post by JWR »

For the longest time the most I had ever spent on a single cel was $1k US but I broke that record several times in the last couple of years with several Hanken cels.

My most expensive item was a book from the personal library of horror author H.P. Lovecraft. He would sign them with the date he got them and other that finding letters he had written owning one of the aprox 1500 books he had in his library is the only way to get his autograph.
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/Ux ... nR9qCz7f0i
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Both Pepperidge Farms and I remember when I said I'd never spend over $100 on a cel. We also both remember when I said I'd never spend over $1000.

And since I'm not done prattling about the old timey times, I remember when we used to have Anime Beta meet-ups at Anime Expo where some would mention how much they spent on artwork at the con, particularly from one seller who would always pop up at that convention. Y'all, I could not compete. Almost coughed up my drink when someone mentioned $12K only for the person sitting next to her to chime in with 20K :hurt:

...I miss the Anime Expo gatherings but I don't miss Anime Expo..

The most I have spent on 1 item was at Anime Expo for a Cardcaptor Sakura cel hanken that was used for one of the DVD covers. This was at Anime Expo around a decade ago. I was having some serious buyer's remorse at the time, not because I didn't like the image (I still do) but I couldn't believe I had bought something that expensive. Though, in hindsight now, it was a good investment though that was not my intention at the time.
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by tarakatsuki »

This would likely be my single most expensive cel to date: http://tarakatsuki.rubberslug.com/galle ... mID=443865

However I'm not one to state what I've paid for any particular item in my collection as that's nobody else's business but my own. All you need to know is that yes, I do feel it was worth it.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

Since I collect Last Unicorn cels, I have crossed the $1K mark. Oddly enough, the 2 most expensive cels are not from the LU. Still, I have never even come close to the before-mentioned $12K ( 8O not even close to half that 8O ).

I have never regretted the most expensive cel (a regular cel from the show that was also widely used as a hanken) nor the third most expensive (a LU cel), but I did waver back and forth over the second most expensive cel (a pan cel from the show).

For the second most expensive, I got into a bidding war over it. For a short time afterwards I did regret it, but after owning it for over 17 years I am happy I got it. In 17 years I have only seen one cel (the only sequence-mate) of this character that is as dramatic and powerful as the one I fought over.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

$800-900, only done that twice. Now I stay away from bid wars.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
Nate15

Post by Nate15 »

Being a beginner, I haven't made any big purchases yet. But I'm not immune to splurging. When I do something, I tend to put too much into it and I know I will crack at some point. But I'll still try to be objective.
However, I can certainly appreciate the value of various forms of art, including those created with the assistance of artificial intelligence. In recent years, we've seen an increasing number of artists incorporating AI and machine learning techniques into their creative processes, resulting in fascinating and thought-provoking works that blur the lines between human and machine intelligence. It's exciting to see how the intersection of art and AI is opening up new avenues for exploration and creativity.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Learn more about chatbot
Last edited by Nate15 on Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Nate15 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:53 am Being a beginner, I haven't made any big purchases yet. But I'm not immune to splurging. When I do something, I tend to put too much into it and I know I will crack at some point. But I'll still try to be objective.
Hi Nate
We all started out small , a lot remained that way, others like myself have grown large over the years.
Do remember that collecting art is not a competition and it is best to figure out a budget you can afford to set aside to begin your hunting.
I have been lucky to be able to afford a few expensive pieces when I was given the chance to buy them but I have found a lot of enjoyment from a lot of the smaller purchases over the years as well. Collecting is a personal thing so get what makes you happy.

JWR
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison