Ever done any analysis on your collection?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Ever done any analysis on your collection?

Post by Captain Haddock »

Hi all,

Sorry I don't often post here anymore, but thought this might be quite an interesting thing for people to chew over.

Out of my own sense of morbid curiosity I did a little analysis on my collection and found some interesting tidbits.

Findings as follows:

My average cel cost over almost 20 years of collecting is around £186 (about $220). That feels about right since while I have paid much more on many occasions, but when you factor in the Burn Up collection for example that really brings the overall figure down.

50% of my cels come from dealers, with the rest coming mostly from a mix of ebay (12.50%), Mandarake (10%), YJ (21.25%) and a handfull from private sales (6.25%).

Countries of origin (as in where I bought them) I found the US was the most prolific with 49% of my collection coming from there. Not surprising given it's where alot of the dealers are/were based. Otherwise most of the rest came from Japan 43%, then 3% from the UK and from Germany, Denmark, Norway and Australia 1% (literally 1 each) respectively.

My most expensive show I collected from over the whole period was NS, which averaged £488 per cel (about $570). This was mostly due to a clutch of quite recent purchases that bumped the overall number up. The cheapest was Bubblegum Crisis, which averaged £60 (about $70).

My busiest year for collecting was 2018, where I picked up 13 cels.

Assumptions - many of the costs have a degree of guesswork, as in I had to remember what they cost roughly where the exchange rate was etc. So I'd say probably about a 5-10% degree of error in my cost estimate. Further over the years I've sold quite a lot of cels (I'd say about 20-30), so those won't be reflected in my numbers as it reflects only what I currently own.

I put this on here rather than FB and Discord etc since things here are a little less transient here and I wanted this to be easier to find later for my own purposes.

Anyway hope some of you find this interesting.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Re: Ever done any analysis on your collection?

Post by graymouser »

Yep. I keep track of all sorts of stats on my cels, backgrounds and sketches. Its both scary and fun to see how things have been going over the years.

1) Most cels bought in a year; 61 in 2006
2) Average spent on cels alone over 23 years $308 (this covers quite the range from freebies to expensive Last Unicorn cels) I also have 2 cels that I do not have prices from. These are from way back in the beginning of my collecting when I was more casual about recording stuff. Both were very cheap though (one from FY OVA and one from Shibas 1, 2, 3)

I also keep track of amount spent per year, overall spent on collection, average spent on fees (deputies and shipping), number and amount per show, who I sold to (and for how much) and quite a bit more. I am a numbers kind of gal. Keep most of it on Excel spread sheets so is easy to update.

Although I keep track of where and who I bought from, I never generated stats on that.
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

Hi Graymouser,

That's interesting, and really wish I'd kept track of postage costs/deputy fees etc that would be useful to know. I mean I know what direction the graph would go, but it would be interesting to know if there were any spikes etc in particular years.

I did mine on excel, but did it retrospectively, though wish I had done it from the off as it would have been really useful. Surprising how much I do remember though, there are few I don't recall where I got them from. When is more of a problem, though I've got a vague idea for most.

Interestingly our average cel cost is actually in kind of the same ballpark. I got alot of my early collection when it was £1 = $2 so it kind gave me sale prices right out the gate. The inverse now of course :hurt:

Tom
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

I calculated the value of my entire collection in 2015 before I sold it. It was $4500. 80% majority cels, 20% genga/douga etc. I haven’t kept books since then. Too little activity and spending.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant