Signed Cels......What's your opinion?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

What do you think of cels that are signed?

Love em
20%
Hate em
47%
Doesn't matter to me either way
33%

Total votes: 15

Goldknight
RULER

Signed Cels......What's your opinion?

Post by Goldknight »

I frequently see cels for sale on site and on auctions that are signed either by the artist or the voice actor. What is your opinion on these cels? Do the signatures decrease the value or increase the value? Do they make no difference in the value? If it was signed would that prevent you from buying it or make you want it more? I'm just curious. I've had signed cels offered to me before and I'm torn as to what to think of them. In my opinion they weren't signed in making the anime so the signature brings the value down. On the other hand if it's a higher end cel then I may take what I can get. :D heehee. Anyways....let me know your feelings on the matter. :wink:
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

mightymask
Senpai - Elder

Post by mightymask »

I didn't vote. For me I think it depends on who's signing them - If it's Akira Toriyama - heck ya! If it's an American voice actor - Get that pen away from my cel!! I'm guessing Toriyama would be the only one I wouldn't mind signing my cel but you're right, there's some cels I wouldn't like anything on them aside from the characters themselves.
magus11
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by magus11 »

I think it ruins the cels personally unless the autographs on a seperate layer and i also dont like getting a cel if its autographed already to me an autograph means something when you personally meet the person and so on to get an autograph from someone you never met has no meaning to it but thats just the way i am
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Yet another thing to agree with MM on! I was THRILLED to get Yasuhiro Nightnow's sig on my Knives cel. I have a GW cel of Heero that has the seiyu. I love them both! But...that's just another opinion. If you really want the cel, but don't want the signature, you may be able to remove it. Just another thought :wink:

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I think it's cool, as long as you don't try to sell them. For me, getting an auto would be totally about me, and my respect for the artist, director, or seiyu. However, I have never purchased an autograph in my life. For me, the whole idea is about the experience of meeting that person and taking something cool away from it.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Elot
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Elot »

For me, an autographed cel would proved more valuable to me if signed especially by the japan voiceactors, i wouldnt mind the english voice actor either.

Cheers
Elot
dbzmomma
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by dbzmomma »

I think I'm with blueheaven on this. I have some autographed programs from stage plays I went to back in 1968. They mean a lot to me (autographed by the actors) because I met them backstage after the play. (Diane McBain, Carlton Carpenter, Dick Shawn, and Edd Byrnes. I know — who the hell are they??!! We were too chicken to try for William Shatner's!)

So, unless I won an autographed copy of something (like the woman who won Toriyama's signed drawing in the Shonen Jump contest), I don't think I'd pay for one. And I don't think I'd want a cel with a sig, but I might change my mind about that. :shrug
Vicci

Grand Reopening of Momma's Addiction Rubberslug Gallery!
dude_moose
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by dude_moose »

i don't think i personally would pay more for a cel with a signature on it, because i collect cels for the art, not for a person's sloppy signature.
If it looks really bad on the cel you can probably remove it with rubbing alcohal or something
Ultimate Dragonball
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ultimate Dragonball »

I how have to say that I would only mind it being signed if
I meet the person face to face, Like I meet the American
Voice actress for Ah My Goddess, Belldandy and she signed
a cel for me on a seperate layer, thats how I would only have
it signed. :D
Don't Act So Shocked the Strongest
warrior always prevails. - Demon Eyes Kyo
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

Well, I posted that I hate them. :P But ... if the signature isn't on the cel itself (as in a separate acetate layer) it would be kind of cool - I'd obviously prefer it to be signed by the Japanese seiyuu, but the English VA would be ok in some instances. ;)

I don't think I'd really be all that interested in a cel that was signed on the layer with the paint itself though...

Just my .02

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

Ever since I starting cel collecting, I strive to get some of my cels signed! I actually had a chance to at AX2000 when I met the creator and character desginer of 'Shoujo Kakumri Utena.' But at that time, I wasn't into cels, so I got a personal sketch and autograph instead. :roll:

But yes, if it's the creator of the anime, then Iwould love an autograph on the cel. If it's anyone else, VA, character designer, producer, etc, then I would prefer the autograph on a separate layer.

As to the value of the signature on a cel, I think it's up to the buyer whether the added sig is worth more. In most cases, I think it makes a cel more desirable.

Personally, I think English dubbed siggies actually make the value of a cel decrease. :hurt:
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Kane
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by Kane »

It really wouldn't make a difference to me one way or the other :shrug If I really wanted the cel I would get it regardless.
ImageImage