How often do you hold back discussing "obscure" an

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

How often do you hold back discussing "obscure" anime for fear of others collecting cels from it?

I hold back frequently because I don't want the competition
11%
I discuss them on anime forums, but not cel forums
2%
I discuss them with my cel friends, but often hold back on cel forums
9%
I hold back some, but not very much
17%
I don't hold back at all
43%
Not familiar with any "obscure" anime so I can't say
19%

Total votes: 47

cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I don't hold back at all, but, since I generally prefer shoujo animes, it's something that a lot of people aren't interested in.

Most of the titles that I enjoy, such as Rozen Maiden and Pichi Pichi Pitch, don't have a large fanbase outside of Japan. Of course, if either show is aired in the US, this is likely to change. But, the prices for artwork are currently more reasonable than many of the items that I own from Sailormoon.

I don't mind rivals for these works. Even though I enjoy these more obscure titles, I'm not drawn to the artwork because it is CG. I've not been able to rationalize spending large amounts of money on a colorless sketch because it's lacking the one thing that does draw me to art - color. So, count me out for auctions involving CG work - it's just not my cup of tea.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

I like Demonbane... I start talking about it... And now I'm paying up to 10 times the amount that I used to be paying...

Oh well... I don't think you should hold back. If you like a show talk about it!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I've collected from a number of these "obscure" series, including Tonde Buurin, Condition Green, and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. NieA_7 kinda fits this category, even though it's widely available, because art from it comes up rarely and in tiny batches. Tenshi ni Naramon, also, since it was never completely released, and the best episodes are available only through fansubs.

The reason I don't mind posting or talking about these is that I'm hoping that by doing so, I will encourage dealers to dig through their inventory and put more art from these series up for sale. This has certainly happened when I've purchased TB, KKJ, and NieA_7: "Mmmm ... some nutty gaijin is actually buying this stuff ... lessee ... I think I have some of that in one of my back drawers..."

Yes, I lose some, though more often to Japanside collectors than to colleagues. But even if I do create competition among Betarians, that's OK as I'll usually get to see scans of it in other online galleries or maybe even get it on the bounce when galleries are opened for offers.

But if it's in some jobber's files under "probably unsellable" then there's no way I'll see it.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

In my case , I started off with some of the more popular series. AMG , Inu Yasha & Ranma 1/2. So there was no sense in attempting to hide things.

Now as time went on I have collected quite a bit from series that are not that popular currently but by not hiding that , I have had friends give me heads up when items of interest show up and I have done the same for others.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

I don't hold back at all. However I'm not the type to start threads only because it's not my nature to do so. However one of the reasons I have cels from obscure anime is because I love it and it doesn't matter if in the future I get competition from it. If for example someone started collecting it, I'd feel quite happy and encourage the person concerned. Actually I gave a couple of my cels to a friend because I hope it would interest her in the show. I think it's more important for me to see someone appreciate a favorite obscure anime of mine than keep it all to myself just so prices stay low or I have more selection to choose from. Actually I think it's a rather defeating purpose... If the objective is to get more cels of the anime and yet no one ever knows about it or it doesn't get any exposure, then it's less appreciated. It's not as fun to enjoy things just by oneself. That's my .02.
My Cel & Sketch Gallery: http://hajimenokizu.com
buttrflym
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by buttrflym »

Hmmm....interesting topic. At a time I held back talking about AnC cause it was so darn easy to get tons of cels from this show. Yeah, call me selfish. Not as obscure as other shows but still not as popular as most. Then others really got into it and prices skyrocketed. Least they are slowly coming back down. Now Sailor Moon...that is a totally popular show and always had "crazy" competition. Have no problem talking about Sailor Moon.

buttrflym
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

I love obscure anime, so I talk about them often (how many people do you know who watch Akazukin Cha Cha or Hime-chan no Ribbon?). I don't usually mention how easy or hard they are to get, or the prices cels usually go for.

I have noticed that cels from most of these series have become more expensive lately :O
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

I refrain for a few reasons: 1) most people don't know about it so they have nothing to say, 2) most people don't care for the obscure, they opt for popularity and the newest trend, 3) why remind or educate strangers about what you want? Needlessly adds to the competition.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

i don't enjoy competition usually... :) but it's nice to have friends to talk to about the animes you like. i don't hold back... much. :wink:
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

I voted on this topic weeks ago but forgot to write anything down; perhaps I was contemplating a masterpiece response but I'll keep it simple ;)

I'll happily talk about what I'm interested in but realise that the series I love aren't known to many western fans, at least those in one place, like here on Beta. I'll go to series-specific sites/forums if I want to talk about a particular series and that's fine.
Most of the series I enjoy are 'old', I don't move with the times by engrossing myself in the latest titles but latch on to a select bunch of anime I've grown up with.
As Caroline mentions, at the end of the day it's good to converse with a couple of friends at a time about a certain genre or series. It keeps my interest alive and doens't bore a whole group who don't share the same passion. I like to think that I know when to shut up and not go over the same ground again and again- tell me if I'm wrong, LOL

I understand WC's points, but the first one reminded me of her favourite series [Giant Robo] and my responce to it. I've seen it but don't have much to say about it because it didn't strike a chord with me. As such I can't be enthusiastic about it and don't feel a desire to join in with specific converstaions.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

What will you find there?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Krafty wrote:I understand WC's points, but the first one reminded me of her favourite series [Giant Robo] and my responce to it. I've seen it but don't have much to say about it because it didn't strike a chord with me. As such I can't be enthusiastic about it and don't feel a desire to join in with specific converstaions.
WTF?!?!?!? HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Just teasing. :friends: :kiss :rollin
:run
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

Sensei wrote:
've collected from a number of these "obscure" series
Hehehe! When I first "met " Sensei, he congratulated me after I posted my first CCS additions. At the time he only collected CLAMP.

I believe I, along with a few other collectors convinced hom to watch Tenshi ni Narumon. at which point he began to collect cels from it. Looking at my and Tex-chan's pretty sketches also got him interested in Saiyuki. He came by my place a few times last year on his way to and from Washington, and I let him see my prized Miyu and lent him Princess Tutu. More recently, he has been letting me share his SMJ account and bids on stuff for me. When he helped me buy my cels for A Tree of Palme, he flipped over them. Now he has recently discovered Tonde Buurin (a series I have collected since 2002). As you can see, I created a monster! Now CLAMP is only a small fraction of what he purchases! I created my competition!

Actually, it is nice to have at least 1 person actually agree that Tonde Buurin and A Tree of Pa;me are worth collecting! :)
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
redwolf

Post by redwolf »

I don't collect from any obscure shows, and if I watch any it's because it's been recommended to me. However, I'm not usually talkative, and most people here don't collect or even watch many of the same shows I do, so I guess you could say I naturally hold back even with my non "obscure" anime.

I agree with Krafty that I'll go to series-specific forums/blogs/etc. if I really want to talk about a show.
vapalla wrote:As you can see, I created a monster! Now CLAMP is only a small fraction of what he purchases! I created my competition!
Lol, but this Sensei-zilla strikes me as a very friendly and beneficial monster. :P
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I'm glad we agree. You and your Krafty that I will go to series-specific forumsblogsetc.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)