How often do you hold back discussing "obscure" an

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

How often do you hold back discussing "obscure" anime for fear of others collecting cels from it?

I hold back frequently because I don't want the competition
11%
I discuss them on anime forums, but not cel forums
2%
I discuss them with my cel friends, but often hold back on cel forums
9%
I hold back some, but not very much
17%
I don't hold back at all
43%
Not familiar with any "obscure" anime so I can't say
19%

Total votes: 47

Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

How often do you hold back discussing "obscure" an

Post by Keropi »

How often do you hold back discussing "obscure" anime for fear of others collecting cels from it?

I'm asking this because I want to see how paranoid I am compared to other cel collectors. :D

When I say say "obscure" I mean:

1. anime that is probably at least three years old and hasn't even been fansubbed yet

2. or an "older" anime that was fansubbed years ago, not picked up commercially in North America and is extremely hard to get via peer-to-peer share programs. It would also have to be an anime that is hardly ever discussed anywhere by anybody.
dbzmomma
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by dbzmomma »

I don't even watch much popular anime right now. Can't find the time anymore.
Vicci

Grand Reopening of Momma's Addiction Rubberslug Gallery!
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

I voted for the last, since it's the most accurate for me. ^^;

But I'm also a paranoia queen - for the longest time I kept my YYH and HxH cels off my main gallery (even created a completely separate gallery for them for the longest time) simply because the cels at that time were so hard to come by (for YYH) and already fairly pricey for a series not commercially released in the US. I lumped HxH into it because it's from the same creator and I was rabid about collecting it then (like that's changed much.. heh). So I think I'd probably be less likely to talk about it on a public forum, in order to avoid drawing unwanted attention and competition. :P

I finally gave up on keeping the others separate when Geocities turned into a crappy webhost, coupled with the fact I was content with my collection. ;)

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

S.Wolfie wrote:But I'm also a paranoia queen - for the longest time I kept my YYH and HxH cels off my main gallery (even created a completely separate gallery for them for the longest time) simply because the cels at that time were so hard to come by (for YYH) and already fairly pricey for a series not commercially released in the US. I lumped HxH into it because it's from the same creator and I was rabid about collecting it then (like that's changed much.. heh). So I think I'd probably be less likely to talk about it on a public forum, in order to avoid drawing unwanted attention and competition. :P
That's the same thing I did. I made separate cel pages for these cels that were separate from my public cel pages. I've only shown them to one cel collector and this person no longer collects cels so I considered him to be "safe". After he viewed the cel pages I changed the names of the pages so they couldn't be located anymore. :)

Later I'll add them to my public cel gallery, but that won't be for some time.

Maybe not for another year or two. :D

My paranoia has no bounds. 8)
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I am not that paranoid, but I have been noticing that some of my obscure series that I collect are not quite as affordable as they used to be :(
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

I only collect from the DB series, and Yu Yu Hakusho, both of which are widely known so it doesn't really apply to me. Most of the anime shows that I have seen are rather popular as well. :)
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
Noriko
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Noriko »

Gosh this is sooo familiar! I collect Ranma Panda cels and for a while I could find them relativly cheap and in abundance. But when I started to advertise that I was looking for these cels, the prices jumped and all of a sudden everyone wanted them! sigh... :l
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

I have to say I picked the last option. I have enough shows on my list of anime to watch that I don't need to start adding the more obscure and hard to find ones. By the time I get to them they are no longer so obscure.

In the spirit of the pole, however, I don't think I would hold back from talking about them on any forum. I guess I'm kind of used to having to compete for my cels anyways, so I wouldn't particularly care.
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

i picked second to last cause i the cels i collect mostly are from popular series, so i cant hide it and i dont really want to :^^:
BleedingOrange
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: I am everywhere and yet, nowhere... all at the same time. Whoa.

Post by BleedingOrange »

Most of the anime I've seen that I'd want to collect cels from or that I do collect cels from are the most popular.... I like other more "obscure" anime but I doubt I'd collect any cels from them.
Visit: Bleeding Orange - DBZ Cel Gallery
"It seems a demon has possessed your trousers... care for an exorcism?"
Sakon
Kamisama - God

Post by Sakon »

I picked the "I hold back some, but not very much" because I only tell people I know well enough who like the anime I like. Not many people (I know) like the 1980s anime that I find very cool. Still most of the series/movies that I like are still "obscure" or "underground" or "unpopular." But a few that have become popular over the years (ex: Laputa, and DBZ (before it became huge) :l ) Oh well... can't keep all of them a secret. :wink:

Garrett
"Forgive, But Never Forget." Anonymous
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Three and a half years after I asked this question and I have to say (in my case) that NOT talking about an anime did nothing towards stopping others from collecting from them because:

1. I mostly like niche anime that less people are into so talking about them doesn't make any difference even if they were all commercially released in English.
2. Because of #1, 80 percent of the people I bid against are Japanese collectors and they would never be the slightest affected by what I say.
3. I've learned since then how very few non-Japanese fluent people want to watch raw anime. They don't have an incentive to do so since they wouldn't understand (that) much of what they are saying. I took a very "me" centered point-of-view when I asked that question. :(

On the other hand, some people have mentioned in other threads recently that they hold off posting a few things so as to not encourage someone from starting to collect from it (or at least to discourage raising the prices a bit from what they would have gone for otherwise).

What has been your experience on the "not-posting items" issue?
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

Like you know, I collect mainly RK and esp from OVAs :) So I am not sure what I should say.... :wink:
Cats rule!
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

I choose "Not at all" because honesty I am at a time where if people wish to collect the series I like, go for it. At the beginning of my collecting days I was a bit paranoid and thought of not threading my updates due to the fact that it encourage individuals to one day take up collecting from the series however that is not so anymore. One look at my gallery and it’s quite apparent, I am a Juuni Kokki collector especially Yoko. Most fans of Juuni Kokki go after enki or the other male characters so really there is nothing to worry about (at least in the US). I actually try and get people to watch Juuni Kokki because yes one could argue that if more people watch a show then chances of them going after sketches etc is higher. I completely agree with this statement however at the same token more sketches of the said show could arise. Above all I really like to see what’s out there. If by me getting some people to watch Juuni Kokki and they turn around and buy from a dealer or collector that doesn’t' have a gallery and because of this I get to see what’s out there I encourage it. I am very happy with my collection and my collections growth that honesty jealousy has long since past. I collect what I can and what I like. Sorry for going a bit off topic but basically to sum it all up I have no interest in hiding sketches to deter individuals from potentially getting into collecting the series. If I worried about that I wouldn't bother having a gallery in the first place because after all, a gallery online is really to showcase your art and allow other individuals to see what’s out there.
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Nah, that's okay. No worries about going off-topic. :)

It could be that where this would come the most into play is if there is artwork from an anime only now just came out. Maybe the anime might be still be airing or it just finished three or four weeks ago, but you don't want to let someone know FOR SURE that there's something from it out there for sale yet.

Yeah I know a lot of people would already know about them and talk about them amongst themselves, but if you avoided one other person bidding on those one or two auctions (you got a slight head start on them) you might end up more likely to win those auctions. Maybe you saved a little money too. :shrug