How long were you a collector before...

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

How long were you a collector before you became comfortable spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a single cel?

A couple months (I always had my eye on the rarer ones)
25%
Six months to a year (When I became more knowledgable about the cel market)
38%
Several years (I definitely had to ease into it)
16%
I'm still not comfortable (I think it's crazy to spend that much)
9%
Right away!!! (I started off with a bang)
13%

Total votes: 32

Linwe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Linwe »

My first cel was something like $5, and I still have it. :) When it arrived, I liked it so much that I immediately bought more, but nothing over $25 for quite a while. I think I'd been collecting about 6-8 months when I bought a cel for $116, while everything else in my collection was still under $25... I really felt like I was splurging! I couldn't believe I'd just spent over $100 for a cel, but it is beautiful and I had to have it. :D Then once that $100 barrier was gone, after I'd been collecting about a year, I bought a cel for $300. That's still the most expensive cel in my gallery, but only until I get my dream Urd cel paid off (she's my avatar). :yay

The cel I've felt most guilty about was my Cutey Honey pan cel. I paid what I consider a good chunk of change for it (I'm a poor college student, so probably to others it wouldn't be considered expensive), but I've never seen the series (and know nothing about it), I just really love the image. I'd told myself that I wouldn't buy cels for over $10 if I'd not seen the anime they were from... but that only lasted so long. :bawl I guess I've become a cel collector, rather than an anime collector who collects cels. Yeah. :|

I get cels with images that I like, or characters that I like, where there's just something about the cel that draws me to it. To this day the cels I buy are a range of prices, in fact I just bought a cel on ebay for $3. :wink:
British, you see, useless. I cannot get the equipment.
Kane
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by Kane »

It was right off for me. Some of my first few cels were over $200.00, but I wanted them, and was willing to spend the $'s for them.
ImageImage
Fever's Break
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Fever's Break »

:topic Congratulations UrdNoDa!! You scored one of the most gorgeous Urd cels I've ever seen. And I know just where you got it too. Ms. Poe has only THE most incredible cels. I couldn't resist buying a few from her myself. :D
Life is too important to be taken seriously.
~Oscar Wilde
Linwe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Linwe »

Fever's Break wrote:Congratulations UrdNoDa!! You scored one of the most gorgeous Urd cels I've ever seen. And I know just where you got it too. Ms. Poe has only THE most incredible cels.
:topic Thanks! :) Ms. Poe does have the most amazing collection! When she told me she'd hold Urd for me for so long I just about had a heart attack I was so happy! :jump Slow and steady wins the race (uhh... sometimes) and she'll be 100% mine soon! :yay
British, you see, useless. I cannot get the equipment.