How long were you a collector before...

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

How long were you a collector before you became comfortable spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a single cel?

A couple months (I always had my eye on the rarer ones)
25%
Six months to a year (When I became more knowledgable about the cel market)
38%
Several years (I definitely had to ease into it)
16%
I'm still not comfortable (I think it's crazy to spend that much)
9%
Right away!!! (I started off with a bang)
13%

Total votes: 32

Fever's Break
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

How long were you a collector before...

Post by Fever's Break »

I remember my hand shaking as I bid over $100 on a cel when I first started collecting. About a year ago, I would have thought myself insane for spending the amount of money I just spent on two dream cels. Apparently, I've come a long way since then. *looks at empty bank account*

So with that spirit in mind, I was wondering how long it took you all to come to the realization that some cels are just worth the hefty price tag.
Last edited by Fever's Break on Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.
~Oscar Wilde
Noriko

Post by Noriko »

I've been collecting for about 10 years now and only recently have the cels that I like to collect risen in price. Early on, I would never even dream of paying more than $100 for any cel, since nothing I collected even cost half as much. But over the past two or so years, prices have just shot up like crazy!
Some of these prices are set by dealers right off the bat, but others are set by us collectors through auctions and such.
For example, you all know I collect Hyper Police and with the recent US release of the series on DVD, the competition for cels from this show has been something just short of fierce!!! :l
Dragonball1080
Senpai - Elder

Post by Dragonball1080 »

where is right away? well I can't vote, I spent a hell of a lot of money on my first cel and it is my most expensive one
Fever's Break

Post by Fever's Break »

You're right Dragonball1080. I missed that one. I added it just for you. :)

But unfortunately when I added the new option, it erased the previous votes. So if you voted before, please feel free to vote again. Sorry!! :sweatdrop
Life is too important to be taken seriously.
~Oscar Wilde
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

It took me acouple of months to buy an expensive cel. i thought it was crazy to spend hundreds on a cel...but now i dont think so. :^^:
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I started almost immediately! 8O I just couldn't help it! My first cel was only $70, but I also use to have lots of money. :l It was great to be rich. :hurt:
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Echo
Senpai - Elder
Location: The tractor ridin', beer totin', shotgun firin' capital of the world..

Post by Echo »

>Several years (I definitely had to ease into it)
>I'm still not comfortable (I think it's crazy to spend that much)

I chose the first of these two though in actuality I'm a little bit of both. I've been collecting I think for over 4 years now-- I forget exactly how long ^^;; (yeah, I'm a slow collector) and gradually over time I began to spend more and more. I just bought my most expensive cel ever yesterday, which I'm super excited about, and yet at the same time I'm thinking "Eeek! I can't believe I just bought my most expensive cel ever!" After I cross a certain spending limit I have a little guilt trip :wink: (which immediately disappears once the cel arrives).
Nathan
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Nathan »

A couple of months for me - I was coming off figurine collecting which was already getting very expensive - since I was going for the rarer items... then bought my first cel... but it depends on how you mean expensive... I didn't think I spent that much - but when other people heard how much (no anime lovers\collectors) the freaked. But I have no trouble whaking down 1k plus for a cel if I love it... why not. I would only begin to wonder if the light in the house went off... and I missed bills... which I haven't...

:wink:
...just one more
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

It was a couple of months for me as well. I was timid at first because I really wasn't totally sure what I was getting into, or if I would enjoy it, or if it was worth it. As I started loving the hobby more and more, I started spending more and more. 8O 8O
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
Govogeta
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Govogeta »

I'd say a couple of months for me as well :o
My first cel was $50.00 from ebay, was just testing the waters....
seeing what cels were all about. Got it and loved it :love:
My next cel cost almost $200.00.....so yeah....didn't waste
too much time getting up there X|
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I got to the $100 level really soon, but that was a little bit of a barrier. Soon it crept up little by little, but I still have not crossed the $500 barrier. I used to spend 5K+ on a sword, but I seem to be able to get a lot of nice cels in the $200 - $500 range. Maybe when I get into the "selldown" collector stage I may go higher 8)
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Majin_Vegeta_2028
Senpai - Elder

Post by Majin_Vegeta_2028 »

much like Govo, my first cel was 50 bucks off ebay, my most expensive cel is 130. my limit right now seems to be under 200, but i could see myself paying 250 for a really good cel and im sure in the future my max will be higher.

"He has stolen my honor, and his debts must be paid!"
- Majin Vegeta

"... I'm going to verify my exsistence.."
- Gaara

"Beneath the courageous, there is nothing."
- Kakashi
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

I guess the term "expensive" is something that you have to decide on yourself. My first cel was over 100.00, so I guess that might start out as an expensive cel to some.

It took me probably 6-8 months before I broke the 250.00 barrier - that was bordering on expensive IMO. Took almost 2 years before I broke the 1000.00 barrier ... which I think is expensive to just about anyone. ;)

Most of my cels average 50-200.00 nowadays. ^_^ Give or take ... :P

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
porunga143
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by porunga143 »

i'd say six months. when i saw cels to begin with selling for $200 or so i thought these people were crazy (no offence intended), but i soon realised that if you are gonna get quality cels in the game you have to put the money on the table. i actually regret back in my early days of not picking up those cels i would have put a bid in for above $200 and would have possibly got had i known what i knwo today.

i'd agree with glorff here tho, once you go past $100 you go through this psychological barrier telling you that you that it's not that much after all. my movie 12 goku cost $400 which i would have said in the early days "are you crazy!?" to, but i realise now that's a reasonable price.

that's not to say that during my time i havent picked up agood bargain or too in the process - take my oozaru vegeta - only cost me 5000yen! or my ssj goku with ki (saiyan tiger) for a similar price.

i would say after 18 months i have reached the candyman stage of cel collecting now. lol. incredibly picky but bringing in top-end high quality cels only :D just take recently, my cheapest cel is $150 (yet to come in) but before that 26k yen!!!! and that;s not even mentioning what i lashed out on to pay for my majin vegeta or ssj 2 gohan!
"It doesn't matter what ya do, the saiyans will get ya one way or another...and normally with a kamehameha" Chris

http://capcelcorp.rubberslug.com/
Ultimate Dragonball
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ultimate Dragonball »

My first cel was 225 off anime game a few moons back,
then I bought a stupid fan cel not know what is was. :x
Don't Act So Shocked the Strongest
warrior always prevails. - Demon Eyes Kyo