How long were you a collector before...

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

How long were you a collector before you became comfortable spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a single cel?

A couple months (I always had my eye on the rarer ones)
25%
Six months to a year (When I became more knowledgable about the cel market)
38%
Several years (I definitely had to ease into it)
16%
I'm still not comfortable (I think it's crazy to spend that much)
9%
Right away!!! (I started off with a bang)
13%

Total votes: 32

glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

Porunga, you have reached what I described as "the selldown stage", where you no longer need the lesser cels because you have the Permanent Collection. 8)

I seem to have joined the Jenn School of Scattershot Collecting (This is a compliment Jenn and you are not alone, but you are the one that made the comments that changed my outlook) where you buy what suits your fancy and it takes a lot longer to feel the need to sell off, because you don't have that many of any one thing :D
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Hammando
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Hammando »

It took me a couple of months.

I started with my ss Goku, and then a few cheaper things off YJ.

But then I was hooked and just HAD to buy my smoking fist vegeta, and then my brolli, and then ............
HAMMANDO SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your interested in anything email me.

http://hammando.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

As the years go by, it seems that my limit tends to go up gradually. For the first year, I kept my limit to $100. After a while, it went up to $250. Then, just this past year, I spent $750 on a cel. It doesn't really matter to me that much, as long as I have the money to spend I may as well get something I enjoy.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

I started high right off the bat.

I had been wanting to collect for many years before I actually started, but other priorities came first (buying a house and paying off all debts). I was just about there when I suddenly won a large amount of money.

I could suddenly get what I had been wanting for and dropped over $10 K in my first month.
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I guess most of us have 'increased tolerance,' similar to drug use. It takes more cels (and more money) to satisfy our urge. :P
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Sakon
Kamisama - God

Post by Sakon »

In my 5 years of collecting I have never spent more than $150 (I think that was about 2 years into my collecting) for a cel in my collection. Not that I'm cheap or holding back or anything, I guess I'm a bit picky at what I buy. I'm willing to break that price barrier at any moment if I find a wish/dream/stunning cel... I hope my patience is going to pay off over time. :)

Garrett
"Forgive, But Never Forget." Anonymous
BleedingOrange
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: I am everywhere and yet, nowhere... all at the same time. Whoa.

Post by BleedingOrange »

I have almost always had my eye on the rarer ones.... and I gradually increased my money spending.... first to $250-300 now im going over $500 and I'm bound to go higher. But I realize now it's worth it for the really good stuff. :D
Visit: Bleeding Orange - DBZ Cel Gallery
"It seems a demon has possessed your trousers... care for an exorcism?"
spinizuey
Anime Geek

Post by spinizuey »

I started into cels wanting FY only. Many people here may know that FY is incredibly pricey. SO the first cel that I started buying was $200. I bought quite a few FY cels before I started collecting from anything else.. so I was kind of used to it. It was when I didn't collect FY anymore that my collection really expanded.. because I could get a lot more cels for the price of one FY. :^^: It was such a nice feeling to get a primo cel from another series for like.. $30. lol

I voted the "six months" one though, because within six months of my beginning collecting... I "won" a cel that was just over 1k. *sweatdrop*
It was my dream cel, and I do NOT plan on spending that much again! ONce is enough!!
~Tara
monkeyboy
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator
Location: Heading for the 90's...Living in the wild wild West...

Post by monkeyboy »

I went with question one.

It took some time to find all of the sites and to get the lay of the land. And I started out with a purchase from Taro, so I wasn't over spending on cels(I think).

Of course I still have a hard time with the idea of dropping over $500 US on a cel.

For me the fun is not how much I spend on a cel but how good a deal I can get! :D
Fever's Break

Post by Fever's Break »

Thanks for all the great replys everyone!!! :cheers At least I know that I'm sane now. There are people out there who understand. :P :D
Life is too important to be taken seriously.
~Oscar Wilde
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

At least I know that I'm sane now.
That's yet to be determined. ;)
----------

As for my collecting habits, I think I jumped in with both feet right away. My first cel was $150 and within a month I spent $250 on one cel. I thought that was a lot at the time but now that I seem to have culled many of the rage cels from the market, I don't see very many cels that pique my interest anymore. So when I see the ones I like, I'm willing to spend the money to get them, up to a limit of course. After all they are just paint on plastic.
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
Fever's Break

Post by Fever's Break »

Cheeky monkey!! :P

(I'd normally come up with a much cleverer retort, but I'm currently on a sugar high from eating too many grape mentos and my brain is all fuzzy.)
~Oscar Wilde
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

Well, I was at the North Pole recently and 9 out of 10 elves think you're sane but you have to consider who they are using as a comparison. There aren't too many people up at the North Pole. Oddly enough though they all seem to have pilots licenses.

ohhh... you got grape mentos?!?!? I heard those are really really good and hard to get. You'll have to give me the name of your connection so I can get some. Care to share?
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
Noriko

Post by Noriko »

Sorry OT

Grape Mentos actually exsist???!!! 8O
I love anything grape flavored, so gimme, gimme!!!
...please...
Fever's Break

Post by Fever's Break »

:topic
Don't worry about being OT Noriko. Soda is always OT and he never appologizes. :P

You have excellent taste!! I'd share my stash with you any day, but not with Soda. (No mentos for cheeky monkeys.) Anyway, grape mentos do indeed exist, but I think they only sell them in Japan and other parts of Asia. Although, I haven't looked hard enough here in the US to say for sure that no one sells them here. I got my stash of them from a VERY generous friend who has "connections" in Hong Kong. (BTW if you are in the market for a pet Llama, he can get you one of those too.) So happy hunting!! Let me know if you find any!! :D
~Oscar Wilde