Stuck Sketches-Trash or Keep?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Stuck Sketches

Leave it stuck to the cel, backwards or forwards
50%
Tear its sorry butt off and give it an awesome background even if it doesn't come close to matching!
25%
Only remove it if I can't see it
25%

Total votes: 16

Sarah
Kishin - Fierce God

Stuck Sketches-Trash or Keep?

Post by Sarah »

I'm curious to know what others do about their stuck sketches. Do you keep them even if they are hopelessly stuck to the cel and you can't even see the sketch image or do you trash it and give it a nice background?

At first I never removed my stuck sketches, I really have no reason why I just didn't. Recently, since I finally have nice backgrounds courtesy of YJ, I've been removing the majorly stuck ones. If the image isn't viewable I do my best to try and save it, but if I can't remove it harmlessly I just get rid of it. If the sketch is stuck backwards I usually will leave it though.

Yes it might seem like a lame poll, but I'm just curious to see what others do.
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

I *always* remove the sketch. But I don't "trash" it. I remove them carefully, so they aren't damaged. I don't believe I've ever damaged more than ... 6-7 sketches ... give or take a couple. Considering I've got over 700 cels right now, and used to have over 300 DBZ cels at my peak of DBZ collecting I think I do pretty good. ;)

I just hate for a sketch to be stuck to the cel. Besides, I don't know if the paper used for sketches is acid free ... :hurt: I don't want it to potentially damage my cel.

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

I just about always remove the sketch as well. I've only damaged 1 sketch so far, so I do alright. I can't stand for a sketch to be stuck, drives me crazy. :^^:
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
Noriko
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Noriko »

I normally don't buy cels that are stuck. On the rare occasion that I do get one and I mean rare and if it was hopelessly stuck, I would just leave it stuck.
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

If the sketch is hopelessly stuck, I leave them be. If there is any chance of removing it, then the water method is what I do. Only once did I say screw it and removed the sketch which damaged it, but since it was only a partial sketch of an arm, it was worth it.
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I have a couple that are really stuck and have just left them, but now with my push to scan and post I will probably rethink some of them. :?
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Govogeta
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Govogeta »

I almost always remove sketches if they are stuck, it really
bugs me as well :x And if I have a nice background for it
then it for sure comes off. I do my best not to destory it as well,
I really do like the douga's :wink:
Sarah
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sarah »

I don't believe I've ever damaged more than ... 6-7 sketches ... give or take a couple. Considering I've got over 700 cels right now, and used to have over 300 DBZ cels at my peak of DBZ collecting I think I do pretty good.
I must have really bad luck with removing sketches then! I've tried so many sketch removal techniques like the water trick, but always seem to ruin the majorly stuck ones! I've only attempted removing about 20 sketches from the cels and have only killed about 5 of them, while some were just sketches of eyes some weren't. :l :roll:
SS Kakarot
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by SS Kakarot »

I always keep mine stuck to the Cel, I have the feeling that when I try to remove it there will nothing left of it.

Sometimes a Cel looks nice, even though the Sketch is stuck to it.
"The Dragonball Cel King" - celgami (05-05-04)
My Cel Galleries & Board:
http://sskakarot.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
http://cels.proboards33.com/
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

SS Kakarot wrote:Sometimes a Cel looks nice, even though the Sketch is stuck to it.
In some cases, this is true. The sketch for the Goku FX cel I recently got is stuck to the cel, but all areas of the cel are painted so you don't notice unless you turn the cel over. So the cel looks great even with the stuck sketch.

I'm still going to remove the sketch, just because I HATE things to be stuck. :D
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
ogr81vegeta
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ogr81vegeta »

I've only had one dbz cel that was stuck to the sketch. Got it removed with no problems. Some of my other cels were stuck, and I did damage one sketch trying to remove it, but the sketch was partially torn anyways, so I wasn't that upset. :)
"Falling from heaven is not as difficult as surviving the impact"
Dragonball1080
Senpai - Elder

Post by Dragonball1080 »

well if they can be easily removed then I will do it, but so far I have yet to use the water method on any of my cels to remove the sketches.
Linwe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Linwe »

I'll tug at it a little, while watching the paint from the front of the cel, and if I can get it removed without bringing paint with it, I'll tear it off. Usually sketches that are stuck, for me, are non-matching ones of arms or eyes or some other odd thing, so I don't care if I ruin the sketch. If it were a matching, nice sketch I wouldn't want it to be ruined and would just leave it. I've not gotten into putting backgrounds with my cels, so that's not an issue for me.

I'm really not overly bothered by stuck sketches. I do have one stuck sketch that bugs me to no end, it's stuck to my Tenchi OP of Tenchi, and it has these weird black dots that makes the cel look odd from the front, but I can't remove it because just tugging a little there's a small part of Tenchi's hair that came off, so if I take the sketch away there'll be paint missing galore, and that would bother me way more than the stuck sketch. :hurt:
British, you see, useless. I cannot get the equipment.
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

I would feel bad trashing it... I mean, it is still part of the art, no ?
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

If it is easy to remove without paint damage, I'll chance removal. If it looks too adhered, I'll leave them alone.

One interesting method I tried was to get a piece of dental floss longer than the cel and try to slip it between the cel and the douga. Then using small sawing motions, try to separate the worst of the stuck portions. Inevitably you lose a bit of the paper douga, but sometimes you can get severely adhered dougas off.

rallihir