How do you get most of your cels?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

How did you acquire most of your cels?

Auctions - Yahoo Japan, Ebay, Mandarake, Other
76%
Cel Dealers
17%
Privately from other collectors/sources.
3%
Broke into studio and stole them all!!
3%

Total votes: 29

pastatdude
The Drunken Master

How do you get most of your cels?

Post by pastatdude »

I was looking through my collection today and updating my cel spreadsheet, and was curious to find out the breakdown of where I get my cels.

Most of my cels have been purchased from other collectors, whether they were trying to cel them or if I simply emailed an inquiry and ended up buying something. This actually surprised me, I thought I got most of my cels through auctions. :o

So what about the rest of you? (If you see an option that I should add, just post about it and I'll add it.)
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
Elot
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Elot »

Most of my cels came from cel dealers (especially if im the lucky first visitor)

I think i have no luck when it cames to offering cels from another collector, either its overpriced or getting rejected, so i dont usually get cels i really want

But my best collections comes from Anime-beta members, i wont say its im lucky to gain from others financial difficulty but im very happy to get the chance to owned great cels

Cheers
Elot
Keys

Post by Keys »

Most of my cels came from dealers. However, Yahoo Japan is certainly making a movement in the past few years on my spread sheet. It might overtake soon, especially with the multi-cel sets I keep running into on there.
Gabriel
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Gabriel »

Right now the majority of my cels have come from dealer sites. However, this has been changing a lot and I suspect by the start of next year, I'll be able to say that more than 50% have come from auction sites, primarily YJ. Its a lot easier to just click and buy something from a dealer, but it has been getting increasingly more difficult for me to find something I like that way, so I've been spending a lot more time on YJ searching.
Cels are bad for you - http://gabriel.rubberslug.com
tkngrl
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by tkngrl »

*sigh*.. It's been a long time since I've bought a cel :l (I think January was the last time I've had the pleasure?)

Anyway, at the beginning I used to get most of my cels from American dealers and ebay/YJ. Now I primarily get them from Japanese dealers and YJ. I wish I had better luck trading because it would help out my wallet a bit, but most of my attempts have failed ^^; I've only had one trade that was successful :wink:

~sherry

-----
Mei's Little World of Cels
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

For me, it's split right down the middle between dealers and auctions...one month I'll get like 10 cels from various dealers, then the next month a lot of 10 will pop up on YHJ, etc etc...
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
Dragon_gal

Post by Dragon_gal »

Definitely an auction cel collector. My Celga packages have been pretty big recently!
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

YHJ auctions all the way. Still get quite a few from dealers, and every once in awhile one off eBay. But YHJ is where I get the bulk of them. :o
Bevhippy
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Bevhippy »

YHJ for the most part and a couple here or there from ebay
Depressed beyond tablets,
Bored beyond pills!!!
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

Dragon_gal wrote:Definitely an auction cel collector. My Celga packages have been pretty big recently!
Same here...the guys at Celga are my life savers :)
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

At this point 50% of my purchases are from cel dealers....
(although that's only three purchases)... so the statistics are a bit warped. :^^:
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Sakon
Kamisama - God

Post by Sakon »

The last two years all I have bought cels from are E-Bay and Conventions (I guess that's considered Cel Dealers). I wish I could use a deputy service and Mandarake - but I dislike Paypal and putting in a credit card :evil: X| :hurt:

Garrett
"Forgive, But Never Forget." Anonymous
Marauder

Post by Marauder »

I'd say that out of all the cels I've owned, I acquired most of them through auction. Most of the cels I've gotten from auction though, I have ended up selling. Right now, my collection is pretty balanced:

6 from stores (mostly Anime-Taro)
3 from private trades
6 from auctions

I have fewer from private trades, but the value of my trades cels is far more than the others combined :D

Edit: Comment to Sakon: you should use Sato's service (not to bag Celga--I've used them too)! Sato's a great guy, and you can pay with money orders--very easy. I've never had any problems.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

The first four years I collected cels I got my cels:

80% from Cel Dealers
10% from Auctions (eBay and Yahoo Japan)
10% from Private sellers and Conventions

In the last two years I've gotten my cels:

83% from Yahoo Japan Auctions
12% from Cel Dealers (two cel dealers mainly)
3% from eBay Auctions
2% from Bidders Auctions
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Definitely from auctions (mostly YHJ). It's been harder to find the cels I want from dealers except from personal sale.