Would you have your Cel autographed?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Would you have your Cel signed by the Voice Actor / Animator?

YES
47%
NO
53%

Total votes: 30

Dragon_gal
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Dragon_gal »

I probably wouldn't have the front of the cel signed, but I am a big autograph lover. I have one cel where the back of the background is signed and a little piccie done by the main artist. I absolutely love it. :love2
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

As I don't normally intend to ever sell my cels, I have no problem with getting them signed. Several of my CotS cels are signed by Hiroyuki Morioka, the author of the original novels, and in most cases the signature sets off the image and improves the overall impact of the cel.

Heehee, I had a great time getting them signed. It was after Morioka-san's panel at Otakon 2002 (I think?) and I went up to the front of the room and asked if it would be all right to have him sign it. The con staff said it would be fine as they'd ended a little early, so I handed him my cels. I'd brought three or four with me, and Morioka-san was thrilled. He'd apparently never seen cels from his own show, and he had a great time looking at mine. ^_^ He grabbed some overhead markers that were on the table next to him and signed each one in a different color and a different style- some in English cursive, and some in Japanese kanji. I think he may have been just as thrilled as I was. *laughs*

So yeah. My signed cels have special meaning to me, and they look better with the signatures. ^_^ I'd totally get more signed if I had a chance to meet someone I felt ought to, such as Rumiko Takahashi or Akitaroh Daiichi or any of the members of CLAMP... like that would ever happen. Most of the time I'd only go for creators of a series, voice actors and staff can sign other things.
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
SS Kakarot
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by SS Kakarot »

Hmmm... I think that I would rather have the autograph on an Item where I have two from, then on one of my Cels. :?
"The Dragonball Cel King" - celgami (05-05-04)
My Cel Galleries & Board:
http://sskakarot.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
http://cels.proboards33.com/
Mackettric
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Mackettric »

I normally have model cels signed, or cels without backgrounds that aren't very valuable. Autographs are usually pretty easy to remove, I bought a cel on eBay signed by a writer I didn't think was appropriate, and took the the autograph off with a little rubbing alcohol.

With the series I collect the most, I have one cel I use for autographs. It's usually not the best cel, but one representive of the series. I just had a Voltron cel signed by Peter Cullen (the voice actor who played Corran, Hawkins, and did the main title voice over) He wrote in huge letters "Voltron Defender of the Universe" and signed it, it's awesome, and lot cooler than a stupid cel of Voltron flying normally is. Peter also signed a D&D Venger model sheet with "Bad, very bad I am" for Venger. That's what he remembered about Venger. Totally cool.

Getting a cel signed usually is a great way to talk to a writer, voice actor, etc about a cartoon. At conventions there's always a ton of dealers just getting things signed to resell, but if you've got a cel, it's easy to strike up a conversation about your favorite shows, and that's what's really worth it.
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

gonna have to go with either a lower grade cel i have or genga being signed. dont know if i'd want my highly prized cels i have signed.
dude_moose
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by dude_moose »

as others have said, it depends who is signing it. If it's the creator, then maybe, if anyone else... probably not. I'd probably buy and have them sign an artbook instead though..
rayd
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rayd »

I probably wouldnt have a cel signed since it could be considered as an imperfection for the future owner of the cel after ive departed to olde town. :wink: Personaly i would love to have it signed, but out of respect i wouldnt. Just as it might be a future custom to smeer things with peanut butter, i hope they dont do it to my babies. :P But i would get the matching sketch for it done, maybe on a lesser item. Definitely the tv/dvd promo posters and artbooks; i live for that day. :D Ooo, im getting exited thinking about it.
naria
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by naria »

Sure, I'd have a cel signed. But, only if I knew most likely I'd be keeping that cel forever...
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

What I would do is have the sketch signed instead of the cel. That way, I can keep the cel's beauty and have the autograph at the same time. :)
Danny-Inu
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Danny-Inu »

Personally, if I have any of my cels or sketches autographed, I would never have them sold.