Would you have your Cel autographed?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Would you have your Cel signed by the Voice Actor / Animator?

YES
47%
NO
53%

Total votes: 30

Elot
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Would you have your Cel autographed?

Post by Elot »

If given a chance, like conventions and stuff, would you bring your cel along and let it signed by voice actors or animators? Not bargain cels but one of your precious cels

thanks
Elot
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

I was actually trying to decide between 2 Knives cels when Mr Yasuhiro Nightow walked up. I asked his opinion and he chose the one that is now in my gallery! And....he signed it right on the spot! The sig is along the side, so it does not impede on the image at all:

http://mirainotrunks.rubberslug.com/gal ... emID=30270

It was just so spur-of-the-moment...and I love it!

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
Abaddon
Anime Geek

Post by Abaddon »

You wonder if the autograph would decrease or increase value. I think I would like to get it signed by the animators...I would leave other anime stuff to be signed by voice actors. Its their art work.

I guess I look at it as you like their art work so much you are willing to dish out money for it...so why not have them sign it. Just my thoughts :P
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Personally I'm in the middle. I wouldn't have voice actors or animators sign my favorite cels, but I would if they signed one of my middle grade cels that had an appropriate empty space area for the autograph. If I had a lower grade cel signed I think it would actually degrade the value of the autograph and appearance of the item because the item signed is not too good and not worth much.

That's how I feel, but the more important is how YOU feel since it's your cel. :D

I used to collect autographed signed items so I think about signed items a lot. I own three autographed anime items (two cards and one script), but I don't own any autographed cels. :(
birdie
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by birdie »

:OMG If I could get either Kappei Yamaguchi or (fat chance) Rumiko Takahashi you better believe I would and they would never leave my hands, in fact I would have them thrown on my funeral pyre to take with me to the next world. /gg
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I might get a lower grade cel signed but NEVER my favorite high grades. To me, it ruins the artwork. I'd gladly take their autographs on other things. :D
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
nesuferit
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by nesuferit »

I think I'd rather get something else signed like shikishi.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

http://nepenthe.rubberslug.com
Remi
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Remi »

I might get a lower grade cel signed but NEVER my favorite high grades. To me, it ruins the artwork. I'd gladly take their autographs on other things.
My sentiments exactly.
Namaste

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

No. The one cel that I did get autographed cost me $15. I bought especially for that reason. However, I would not get one of my higher quality cels signed because, aside from the obvious fact that is devalues the cel, it also takes away from its inherent beauty. If you want to get a cel autographed, then have it done on a correction layer and attach it to the cel.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I might go for a genga signed by the character designer :?
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I would have my cel signed by the creator of the anime. Back in AX99, I was one of the lucky to meet the creator of 'Shoujo Kakumei Utena.' I wasn't into cels then, so I had them sign my artbook instead. But if I could go back in time and change things, I'd ask Ikuhara- sama to sign my prized Utena cel. :wink:

If the cel didn't have much 'blank space' on it, I'd just add a separate cel layer for the autograph. That way, I can add it or not when I feel like it.

I wouldn't have a voice actor sign my cel though. Even it's my favorite character. I would have them sign a blank cel layer instead. :)
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

So what do you put on top of the autographed area to keep it from smearing or having the ink stick to the bag?
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

A signature of a cel could be seen as an imperfection.
If you are planning on selling cels, I believe signatures would decrease it's value because there is also never a guarantee it's authentic. (I've got a signed Bible at home :^^: )

If you aren't planning on selling the cel and you get a kick out of having it signed, by all means, go for it !!!!! (Most of my comic books aren't worth much but I still got the memory of meeting the creators.)
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Govogeta
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Govogeta »

Nah....I am not too big on getting singnature's at all,
let alone on one of my precious cels :o
yaten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by yaten »

For me, it REALLY depends on the person... There was a time I said I would never get a cel signed... that time has come and gone... I have a few signed cels in my collection now, and, ya know... I love them just as much as I would if they had no signature.

However, I do feel that cels should only be signed by 1. The creator of a series, or 2. the Original Japanese Seiyuu... I would never get a cel signed by anyone else.

Take for example this...

http://yaten.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv ... emID=76569

A week ago... *looks at the clock* EXACTLY... :D I was waiting in line to get Ms. Sakamoto's autograph. (the voice of Yaten/Sailor Star Healer) She is someone I never thought I'd meet... EVER... and since I really have no intention of selling any of my Yaten/Sailor Star Healer cels... i figured, as a keepsake, i'll get one signed. I chose one, obviously, that I felt had ample room for her to write, without writing on the character... and she signed it right where I wanted.

Now, not only do I have a signed cel, but, within it, a memory that I cherish. :)
Last Gallery Update = June 17th, 2004