Greetings from Noriko...

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

For those of you who have collected a specific series for years now, how do you feel these days?

Totally dejected due to the lack of quality cels and high competition and on the verge of quitting altogether.
10%
Disappointed, somewhat, but I have my collection and am happy with it, I don't need anymore, really, honest I am telling the truth.
10%
Doing alright, there are other series to collect, I won't be totally unhappy if I never find anymore of my originally chosen series, but I have hope.
30%
I feel like all of the above statesments describe me at one point or another. :)
50%

Total votes: 20

Noriko
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Greetings from Noriko...

Post by Noriko »

Hi All!

I know I haven't been around much for the past few months, so I just stopped by to say hallo.
As you all know, I collect Hyper Police cels almost exclusively now and have not been able to find any quality cels for a long time. Those that I do find are normally at the Mandarake auctions and due to a couple of new fans (one in the US and one in Canada that I am aware of) that seem to have unlimited funds, the ending price on these cels end up in the extremly exagerrated price range!. It's become very frustrating and dejecting, so I kind of dropped out for a while and in order not to amplify the pain, I have stayed away from discussion forums and lists, including eBay and Yahoo Japan.
I have been very slowly selling off parts of my non-Hyper Police collection on my cel sales site in order to make money for my other projects and my upcoming and long needed vacation north.

If you don't see what you want on my site, please ask, but keep in mind that I don't have anything new only older pre-year 2000 cels and nothing exhotic.

Anyway, I haven't forgotten any of you...

Noriko
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

You didn't mention:

There are thousands of cells in a series and eventually all of them that I am meant to have will find their way to me.

Chin up, there will be more :wink:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Hey Noriko! How's it going? :)

I was just thinking that I needed to buy a couple cel books from you (large and Small). I ran out of room for cels and I have about 2 1/2 months of cel orders sitting here stacked unopened because I don't have any place to put them if I opened them. So who knows how the cels might be getting stuck together or if anything's missing from the packages or what not. I have no idea. Anyway that kinda makes me wonder how much must I be interested in them if I haven't even bothered to open them. But that's a subject for another day. :^^:

Speaking of your poll. It's kinda hard for me to address it because I started collecting a little of everything and then narrowed it down to mostly Maison Ikkoku and Video Girl Ai cels. But then I basically stopped collecting MI and VGAi cels three years ago because I was pretty happy with what I already had. I decided to move onto to other shows. So I'm not collecting anything now that I was three years ago.

The anime I collected cels from within the last three years are not real popular outside of Japan/Asia and so I don't have the usual number of bidders bidding on them. But even cels from those shows are getting few and far between. The good quality cels rarely show up now.

>>Totally dejected due to the lack of quality cels and high competition and on the verge of quitting altogether. <<

I'm not dejected. I'm more bored than anything else. A lot of YJ searching and coming up with nothing. No excitement. I no longer have AX to look forward to. Now I can only look forward to Mandarake Big Web Auctions. :(

>>Disappointed, somewhat, but I have my collection and am happy with it, I don't need anymore, really, honest I am telling the truth. <<

I'm happy with what I have, but I still want stuff from things I'm very unlikely to ever get like High School Terra Story, Suika, Campus, Koihime, Guren, Tenkousei, Sentimental Journey background cels, Sequence, etc. There's always something to look for, but am I likely to ever get them? No. Am I going to run out of energy/interest before I find to them? Maybe.

>>Doing alright, there are other series to collect, I won't be totally unhappy if I never find anymore of my originally chosen series, but I have hope. <<

I've about run out of new anime to collect cels/sketches from. I'm always looking for an anime I might enjoy. But the well is almost dry. The only hope of me getting water is from the upcoming anime season in October. :)

Ah...but there is another... Must go to Anime Jungle and buy it. Thanks for the reminder!
Remi

Post by Remi »

Hi T,

Stop with the blue type! I'd love to know what you posted, but I can't read it at all on my skin. Please please use the default color so I know what the heck you're saying! I did vote on the poll though... :wink:
Namaste

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I've pretty much gone through all those stages at one point or another. I've decided, just recently, to go back to collecting Outlaw Star exclusively. I am still looking for my last Gundam dream cel, but until that turns up, it's Outlaw Star only. I'd rather have a great gallery of one series than a decent gallery of several shows. I just wish that dealer sites would not overcharge on this series. Anime Link was doing alright for a while, but they are really driving the price up now. Why is it that I can get a great cel from AnimeED or Nichibei for a good deal, but ALink wants to charge three or four times more for a cel of similar quality? I guess I'm just bitter at my lack of funds right now. Oh well, I'll cry some other time. :l
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Noriko

Post by Noriko »

glorff wrote:You didn't mention: There are thousands of cells in a series and eventually all of them that I am meant to have will find their way to me.
Chin up, there will be more :wink:
I know it seems like I am greedy or something, since I have many cels from one series, but when I first started collecting the Hyper Police back in late 1997, I got a huge stack of them at one time, plus, they were readily available, since no one knew of the series thus, no one was interested. I could buy any HP cel I wanted from any online dealer for really cheap without hardly any competition at all. I baught a lot of cels back then. Then the preverbial well dried up to an occasional trickle and now it drips once in a blue moon. It's kind of a withdrawel feeling...
I have kind of moved on to other interests, but collecting Hyper Police is still one of my loves and I hope to someday squash the competition!!! :evil: Ha ha!!!! Seriously, have you seen some of the auction prices on these cels? They are almost equal to a rare Miyazaki!!! :l
Noriko

Post by Noriko »

Keropi wrote:Hey Noriko! How's it going? :)

I was just thinking that I needed to buy a couple cel books from you (large and Small). I ran out of room for cels and I have about 2 1/2 months of cel orders sitting here stacked unopened because I don't have any place to put them if I opened them. So who knows how the cels might be getting stuck together or if anything's missing from the packages or what not. I have no idea. Anyway that kinda makes me wonder how much must I be interested in them if I haven't even bothered to open them. But that's a subject for another day... etc...
Nice to see you too! :)
If you want to buy the cel books, the URL is below; I always have them in stock, including the new huge size... :)

I like your comments on my comments... It's just so depressing to me when someone(s) with a ton of dough beat me out, for which seems on principal! :l
Noriko

Post by Noriko »

Remi wrote:Hi T,

Stop with the blue type! I'd love to know what you posted, but I can't read it at all on my skin. Please please use the default color so I know what the heck you're saying! I did vote on the poll though... :wink:
Sorry about that, now what's a skin? I have trouble sometimes looking at some people's websites, since I use Netscape cause it's a more secure browers and the colours don't always come out right. The best way to solve this is to highlight the text. Anyway, for your benefit I used black text for this topic and here is my post again: Hi All!

I know I haven't been around much for the past few months, so I just stopped by to say hallo.
As you all know, I collect Hyper Police cels almost exclusively now and have not been able to find any quality cels for a long time. Those that I do find are normally at the Mandarake auctions and due to a couple of new fans (one in the US and one in Canada that I am aware of) that seem to have unlimited funds, the ending price on these cels end up in the extremly exagerrated price range!. It's become very frustrating and dejecting, so I kind of dropped out for a while and in order not to amplify the pain, I have stayed away from discussion forums and lists, including eBay and Yahoo Japan.
I have been very slowly selling off parts of my non-Hyper Police collection on my cel sales site in order to make money for my other projects and my upcoming and long needed vacation north.

If you don't see what you want on my site, please ask, but keep in mind that I don't have anything new only older pre-year 2000 cels and nothing exhotic.

Anyway, I haven't forgotten any of you...

Noriko
Noriko

Post by Noriko »

blueheaven wrote:I've pretty much gone through all those stages at one point or another. I've decided, just recently, to go back to collecting Outlaw Star exclusively. I am still looking for my last Gundam dream cel, but until that turns up, it's Outlaw Star only. I'd rather have a great gallery of one series than a decent gallery of several shows. I just wish that dealer sites would not overcharge on this series. Anime Link was doing alright for a while, but they are really driving the price up now. Why is it that I can get a great cel from AnimeED or Nichibei for a good deal, but ALink wants to charge three or four times more for a cel of similar quality? I guess I'm just bitter at my lack of funds right now. Oh well, I'll cry some other time. :l
You are kidding about Ed and Nichi, right? Those two dealers, plus Link are the highest priced dealers on the net. But it is based on demand and as long as people buy, the prices will be high... hey that rhymes! ;)
Last edited by Noriko on Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

Hi Noriko! :) *waves*

Where have you been, I've missed those ears! :D

I chose all of the above because I've felt disappointed, ecstatic and annoyed at the same time (at one point or another anyway) :wink:

I'm pretty okay with my collection, although I've noticed that the primary series I'd like to collect (HxH) is getting more and more expensive now that it's getting more popular in the US.
What suprises me more though, is the amount of money people are willing to pay for genga/douga/storyboards of CG series (even copies of them!! 8O )

On the other hand, I've just bought a very nice A1 End cel of Spike (Eden's Bowy) for only 300 yen so I can't complain :P

Anyway, good to have you back! :)
Noriko

Post by Noriko »

Uende wrote:Hi Noriko! :) *waves*

Where have you been, I've missed those ears! :D
I chose all of the above because I've felt disappointed, ecstatic and annoyed at the same time (at one point or another anyway) :wink:
I'm pretty okay with my collection, although I've noticed that the primary series I'd like to collect (HxH) is getting more and more expensive now that it's getting more popular in the US.
What suprises me more though, is the amount of money people are willing to pay for genga/douga/storyboards of CG series (even copies of them!! 8O )
On the other hand, I've just bought a very nice A1 End cel of Spike (Eden's Bowy) for only 300 yen so I can't complain :P Anyway, good to have you back! :)
Hi Uende, nice to see you too. :) I just needed a break...

What I've learned the hard way is that if I like a particular series to keep my mouth shut about it. All advertising for cels does is alert the dealers that someone really wants this series and is willing to pay for it, thus the prices go up and up and up!!! Plus it alerts other people to start collecting them, thus increasing the demand. How many people here started collecting cause one of their friends was or cause someone just gave them a cel as a gift or cause their girl/boyfriend encouraged it...?

Congrats, by the way on your great find! I have never seen Eden's Bowy, but the characters look so cute! I, myself have a couple of cels of the cat girl that I got that came with a batch of cels I got 4 or so years ago.
I must see this series...
birdie
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by birdie »

I voted for feeling all of the above at some time or another, with the exception that I have yet to feel like quitting altogether. :o

I get discouraged that so little seems to be available so competition is fierce :x :x but it seems that something else comes along to spark the passion again.

I have also come to the realization that weeding out series that I am not as dedicated to might not be a bad idea. :^^:
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Noriko wrote: What I've learned the hard way is that if I like a particular series to keep my mouth shut about it. All advertising for cels does is alert the dealers that someone really wants this series and is willing to pay for it, thus the prices go up and up and up!!! Plus it alerts other people to start collecting them, thus increasing the demand. How many people here started collecting cause one of their friends was or cause someone just gave them a cel as a gift or cause their girl/boyfriend encouraged it...?
Good idea. And that's why I USED to always keep my anime BBS names, Cel BBS names and Ren'ai Games BBS names completely separate from each other. I did it so my hobbies wouldn't overlap, but I also did it because of the fear I had of my fellow cel collectors. :D

Yeah, but seriously. It's not good to give other fellow cel collectors ideas on what to collect (especially when they can outspend you several times over), but on the other hand it's not fun just sitting in a cave all by yourself (as I found out). It's very lonely in there. j/k :^^:
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

Hello Noriko,

*has to restrain himself from touching the ears Inuyasha-style :D

Good to see you again. :)

I went for the last possibility as I've ben on a cellular emotional rollercaoster also in the last few months.
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

Hmmm. Number three fits me perfectly. "Doing alright, there are other series to collect, I won't be totally unhappy if I never find anymore of my originally chosen series, but I have hope."

I mainly collect from AS, FY, LU and later added VHD. My miscellaneous cels/shows sections have expanded considerably in the meantime.

Other than VHD (where not all of the cels are released yet) I didn't have much hope of finding any of the others. Then I get the chance to buy a beautiful cel set, including two wishlist characters, so I guess you never know.