How do you like to view cels in a gallery?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

After Reading the post... what do you think?

have a misc section.
23%
don't have a misc section.
53%
don't care one way or the other.
23%

Total votes: 30

yaten
Kishin - Fierce God

How do you like to view cels in a gallery?

Post by yaten »

Okay, I have a general question about how people like to view cels on websites, as I am working on the 2005 layout of my gallery. I'm trying to decide if I want to have a miscellaneous section or not.

My question is, how would you rather view cels when there are only one or two uploaded from a specific series?

There are a few series where I have more than a few items, but have decidedly only uploaded maybe one or two into my gallery. So basically... if there are only one or two cels from a series displayed... would you rather see those cels in one larger miscellaneous section, with other cels, from series where only one or two are displayed; or would you rather view those cels in their own respective sections?

I'm a bit torn on the subject and would like to know what other people think. Please vote in the poll, or post your thoughts if you have anything you'd like to add. :) And thank you everyone for your votes. Whichever way gets more votes is most likely what I will go with in my 2005 layout/update.
Last Gallery Update = June 17th, 2004
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

Hmm...only one vote at this point...guess what I voted for :D

I used to have a misc section, but I changed it and put the cels in their own section, because I thought a cute Mon Colle Knights Mondo looked pretty out of place next to a shocked Kamui from X :D

I don't mind it at all if a section has only one cel in it.
Actually, I kind of prefer it over a crowded 9 page Misc. section.

But that's just me, and I'm kind of weird so... :wink:
Bevhippy
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Bevhippy »

I gotta agree with Uende I prefer individual sections to Misc sections even if there is only 1 cel in them.
Depressed beyond tablets,
Bored beyond pills!!!
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

It really doesn't matter to me. My collection is really small, so I don't have sections at all. But if I wanted to put them in sections, I would have no trouble doing so. If you want to seperate your cels into sections, go for it. Even if it has only one cel in it, as long as the gallery is laid out how you like it, nothing else really matters. I don't judge galleries on their appearance, but rather how easily they are to navigate and how fast the images load(I use dial-up :( ).
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

having a "misc" section makes it very hard on people who are browsing a site looking for specific series...
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I put that I don't care, but that is really only regarding the actual presence of a miscellaneous section. If there is one, I think the most important thing is that it should be SMALL. One page, maybe two, of unrelated cels together is okay, but when you start getting four, five, or more pages deep, it just seems to not work. I find I don't want to browse that many unrelated cels all at once, most likely for the reason Uende mentioned -- a micellaneous section is rather disjointed in feel, almost by default, from having massively different cels side by side. Also, not everyone is interested in every show out there, so people who are looking for specific scenes (like ReiTheJelly brought up) might get a little bored if the miscellaneous section is too big.

Incidentally, I feel the same way about dealers' sites. There are a couple out there with HUGE miscellaneous sections, and even with the temptation of finding something rare hidden in there for sale, I can usually only get about two pages in before getting the urge to e-wander elsewhere...

Many Sharp Smiles,
--Drac
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

I prefer that a gallery be broken up by series. Heck, the shows for which I have a lot of cel, I have it broken down even further by character. So I definitely prefer smaller, more specific sections.
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
Echo
Senpai - Elder
Location: The tractor ridin', beer totin', shotgun firin' capital of the world..

Post by Echo »

I have a misc. section, but it's only for the freebies that I don't care too much about anyway. If I spend a lot of money on a cel, I don't want to hide it in a misc. section. :wink: Even if it ends up only having one cel in a particular section--that usually changes over time anyway--you can't have just one!! :D I don't get why it pisses some collectors off when you have only one cel in a section. The shock when they go into a section thinking "Oh boy, X cels! I wanna see some X cels!" ..and then only seeing one? I still don't get it.

When I'm viewing a gallery, I usually skip over the miscellaneous cels.. espcially in a rubberslug gallery. I have a short attention span and I lose interest when I have to flip through a dozen pages. I do like it though when a gallery lists some series titles found in their misc. sections, though that option isn't available in RS.
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

ReiTheJelly wrote:having a "misc" section makes it very hard on people who are browsing a site looking for specific series...
Ditto...
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
junizilla
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by junizilla »

Well, I have a relatively small collection, and while I used to sort my gallery out by the series, I decided this time around to group most of my miscellaneous cels by a vague theme, rather than their series. I think it's more interesting to see how someone might mentally group their cels than just rigid organization. (This is part of the reason that I prefer to see people give descriptions with their cels, too. It's nice to read why people like a certain cel.) Plus, it's more fun to have a cel of the girls from Kenshin sandwiched in with two crazy Hellmasters, or Sesshoumaru surrounded on all sides by manly, manly men. I think it makes my gallery look better than it is--I'd rather spread out my pitiful Kenshin cels instead of clustering them all in one place.

For shows that I have a lot of cels from, though, or if I can't organize them in a way that amuses me, then I put them together in series sections. I figure it as a lack of imagination more than anything else.
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I generally feel the same as everyone else, but I like misc sections when they are all from the same studio, character designer, theme, emotion, etc
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
yaten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by yaten »

glorff wrote:I generally feel the same as everyone else, but I like misc sections when they are all from the same studio, character designer, theme, emotion, etc
That's actually a good idea...

Thank you everyone for your imput. It seems that an overwhelming amount of you are against a miscellaneous section, so I'll leave my gallery as it is with each series having its own section.

With glorff's comments though... I HAVE decided to make a seperate section for Rilezu cels, rather than list them in their own sections. :^^:
Last Gallery Update = June 17th, 2004
birdie
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by birdie »

Geez I'm a bit late but.... I like the mystery of miscellaneous - makes me wonder what's there. 8) But I also do the one cel per section thing too. I think the posted numbers warning people of what I have gives them an idea of what is worth while looking at. :)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Echo wrote:I have a misc. section, but it's only for the freebies that I don't care too much about anyway. If I spend a lot of money on a cel, I don't want to hide it in a misc. section. :wink: Even if it ends up only having one cel in a particular section--that usually changes over time anyway--you can't have just one!! :D I don't get why it pisses some collectors off when you have only one cel in a section. The shock when they go into a section thinking "Oh boy, X cels! I wanna see some X cels!" ..and then only seeing one? I still don't get it.

When I'm viewing a gallery, I usually skip over the miscellaneous cels.. espcially in a rubberslug gallery. I have a short attention span and I lose interest when I have to flip through a dozen pages. I do like it though when a gallery lists some series titles found in their misc. sections, though that option isn't available in RS.
I'm going to Echo Echo's comment. I couldn't say it any better. 8)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

I think that having a misc section is okay. The word itself doesn't suggest anything other than a collection of seemingly unconnected cels so when I go into one of those sections, that's what I expect. Many unrelated cels but as Drac said, it doesn't have a "good" feel. I would rather see the misc cels grouped by some characteristic such as "Great Eyes", "Angry Cels" or "Special FX". I think that's the best way to display misc cels. Oh, if you do go for the misc cel section, I gotta say that I think the title "mis-cel-aneous" is used waaaay to much.
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!