How do you like to view cels in a gallery?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

After Reading the post... what do you think?

have a misc section.
23%
don't have a misc section.
53%
don't care one way or the other.
23%

Total votes: 30

Remi
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Remi »

I think it depends on quantity. I have a miscellaneous section, but it only has three cels in it. They all belong to shows I have no intention of ever buying another cel from (Weib Kreuz, Tenshi ni Narumon and Vampire Princess Miyu). I don't give them their own section because I know the nunber of cels there will never increase.

I agree that miscellaneous sections with more than a page of cels can be tedious to look through, especially since you don't already know if there will be anything that you'll like. By the same token though, I get equally bored looking through a gallery with like 50 categories and the majority of them only have one or two cels in it. I think there has to be balance, essentially to limit the number of times you have to click to see most of the cels.

I would say 10 cels or under then stick them in a miscellaneous section. However more than 1 cel from a show, give it its own category. If you have more than 10 cels each from a totally different show, find another interesting way to break them down into groups.
Namaste

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright
yaten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by yaten »

soda wrote:Oh, if you do go for the misc cel section, I gotta say that I think the title "mis-cel-aneous" is used waaaay to much.
lol, oh jeez, i know. Even if I did have a misc section, I wouldn't do the 'mis-cel-aneous' thing. :D It was cute in the first couple galleries that had it, but now it's just an old overused joke. ^^;

Anyhoo, again, to everyone leaving comments, thank you! I'll definitely keep checking back. I want to read as many opinions as I can, and I appreciate them.

I put my cels online for me, and myself alone. It's my way of having an online record of what I have, where it's from, and information, so I don't have to look things up. But hey... if I can maintain that, and make it enjoyable for other people to view as well... It's a good thing. :)
Last Gallery Update = June 17th, 2004
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

I'm kinda late posting here (as usual). I voted for "don't care". If I have time to kill, I don't mind wandering through the miscellaneous section in a gallery, and I don't particularly care if it's large. But, if I'm looking for a specific series, or I'm pressed for time, I tend to skip the misc sections.

I have a misc section --- yes, I gave it a cheesy name, too --- "cel-lar". (*dodges flying rotten fruit and small furry animals*) I know ... it's totally cheesy, but, to me, that's part of the fun. I put cels in there that are from shows I have no intention of collecting ... so, basically, I know there will only ever be one ... as well as cels that come along as freebies. Recently, though, I haven't been scanning all the freebies ... so, I might end up taking those out of the gallery altogether. I'm still in flux ... :emb
This post brought to you by The Power of Plastik.

Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Sorry I'm late to respond, but I'm having hard drive problems and I'm still not over them yet. X|

For me it really depends. I'm often looking for less popular shows in cel galleries so if those shows are not listed by name in Rubberslug, they are very hard for me to find. I had to go through everyone's first page on Rubberslug and look through everyones miscellaneous sections to find stuff. After doing this for awhile I came to the conclusion that Rubberslug miscellaneous sections over six pages long are cumbersome for me to go through. Pages of unknown cels are one thing, but when there are eight or more misc cel pages of known anime title cels I would rather the Misc. section be broken down. An exception to this would be if all the cels had a common theme where they all look great together.

I'm more forgiving of large miscellaneous sections in non-Rubberslug galleries than I am for Rubberslug galleries.

So in conclusion I don't mind miscellanous sections at all. Just don't make your Misc. section too many link pages long or it becomes cumbersome to go through. Also IF you want people to know about your uncommon anime cel be sure to stick them in their own separate category. :D
jcaliff

Post by jcaliff »

I used to have all my cels broken out by series, but I finally created a miscellaneous section. I have too many different series and my front page was getting out of hand.

I currently have 58 sub-pages (geez-louise, when did that happen? 8O ) linked to my main, four of which have subcatagories of their own. If I didn't have a miscellaneous section, I'd have an additional 20 pages (and 20 sub-directories with their associated files). There comes a point when it's just too much.

My rule is, if I have more than one scan associated with a series, it gets its own page (that's why Saiyuki gets its own page even though I only have one reproduction cel).
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

normally i dont care. i mean you can put ii in a misc section as long as it has the characters name to it. or do the seperate gallery for the one or two of them you have.
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

Hmm...very interesting. I wouldn't have though that having a misc
section was so disliked.

I generally use the rule of three...once I have three cels from a series,
I break it out into its own page.

Before I moved to rubberslug, I had to do even bigger pages. The reason
was that my ISP rounds every file up to 8kb when figuring out disk space
usage. So, having separate pages for each cel/series blew my usage to
hell and back.
celgami

Post by celgami »

I like to whet my appetite with a smorgasbord of eye candy. I always check out miscellaneous sections in galleries. I agree that they shouldn't be too many pages. It may be easier to search with cels under their proper title but I don't really like to see single cels in a section. It's a waste of energy to click on ten different sections to see ten different cels. Put 'em all together so they won't be lonely. :wink:
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Here's a "sort of" vote. (Weird as usual).

I kinda can't have a misc section any more because one of the fields in my database is show name. It just automagically shows the shows. Kind of removes the angst of decision-making.

On the other hand, I do have a "Mystery Meat!" section for those things that I really can't identify. That's pretty miscellaneous, really, but at least it's small still.

If pressed I'd have to say that I agree with those who dislike the Miscellaneous section for browse time.
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

This thread has inspired me. I voted "don't care", but now that I see that most people don't like the Misc. section I'm going to take that ball and run with it (even if they're not cels).
I've decided that it's good to have an over-all theme to each page. But whatever, as long as you got one. Miscellaneous users of the (cyber)world Unite! :evil2
Hold On Tightly ~ Let Go Lightly
naria
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by naria »

Bit late here, but...My collection is rather small, so I decided not to do a misc section and just list the animes even if I have only one cel from it. I do view misc sections, but I don't view for long if they have some 9+ odd pages.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

transmet wrote:This thread has inspired me. I voted "don't care"
:crackup Isn't that an oxymoron? :crackup
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!