Sexy vs Rare

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Which Wishlist?

Super Sexy
41%
Super Rare
59%

Total votes: 29

BaDMaN
Kamisama - God

Sexy vs Rare

Post by BaDMaN »

So it lately got me thinking which you guy's go for most.
Are you more interested in the quality of a Cel, or depending on how rare it is?

Popped in my head from the recent topic:
Vegeta, Radditt, Nappa -
http://www.anime-beta.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9442

I've noticed some saying they wouldnt spend so much money because the quality isnt so good, yet some would go all outs because of the scene.
For every DB fan i though this would be a dream, but i didnt think quality could put people off. 8O Not basing the topic on this Cel, but trying to give an example here. :wink:

I usually go for more rare Cel's, i love catching ones with such great thought behind them. :) But then again, it's hard for another person who isnt too much into the series to understand how special it is. But if they see your sexy Cel, they can think wow. 8O
If i see a Cel with that much detail, no matter what it is i would go for it.
I have this Cel:
http://saiyanprince.rubberslug.com/gall ... emID=70948
Iam not too close to going for Cel's of this character, but it seemed such a good shot that i couldnt let it go. :o

Ok let me make this easy. (Far too much babble for such an easy question).

You have found a wishlist Cel on some site thats super sexy, and another on some other site thats super duper rare.
Both same price.
Which one? X|
Now taking offers :D
http://members.tripod.com/badman_saiyan/ - New!

- BaDMaN

"Strength is the only thing that matters in this world..everything else is just a delusion for the weak..theres only one certainty in life..a strong man stands above and conquers all" - Vegeta
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Wow, BaDMaN --- this is really a hard question, and exactly why I don't prioritize my wishlist items. I can't ever really decide that I want "x" much more than "y" ... I mean, if they are both on my wishlist, I would tend to want both equally as much, even if I wanted them for different reasons. Plus, I have purchased cels for both of these reasons --- perhaps not necessarily the "super rare" reason, but the reason you gave in your post of the cel being from a certain scene in a show. I mean, some cels, I've wanted because of the scene ... then, there are others that I don't know what scene they're from, and I couldn't care less ... I just look at them and think: "Wow" ... "Gotta have!" ... in a very basic, very reptilian-instinct sort of way. :emb

But, forced to choose, I voted for picking the "super rare" cel, simply because there is a chance another, similar "sexy" wishlist would turn up ... but a "super rare" one --- well, it might be my only chance at it. So, if everything else was equal, and I couldn't buy both, I would probably pick the super rare one.

At least ... that's what I think today ... tomorrow, I might change my mind ... wishy-washy is me ... :puzzled
This post brought to you by The Power of Plastik.

Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I guess I would have to vote for "super rare" simply by virtue of being the completely die hard scene shopper I am.... I am as attracted to beautiful cels/sketches as anyone else, but specific scenes tend to win out in a battle for my spending dollars.

Of course, I like best when I can solve the problem by getting both. :D

Now.... being a die hard scene shopper.... I think I might throw myself on a frigging sword if I miss another update of first season Saiyuki gengas. (*grumbling irritably*) Don't stop now, Stephen.... I'm still trying to get there on time. :l

Many Sharp Smiles,
--Drac
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Drac of the Sharp Smiles wrote:

Now.... being a die hard scene shopper.... I think I might throw myself on a frigging sword if I miss another update of first season Saiyuki gengas. (*grumbling irritably*) Don't stop now, Stephen.... I'm still trying to get there on time. :l

Many Sharp Smiles,
--Drac
I can't believe it, but I actually got there on time, for once. Well, "on time" meaning before everything was gone. Usually, even when I check the forecast page, I miss them ... I guess I just don't check the forecast at the right times. Anyhow, I got lucky this last time, and got three sets. One of them I thought I had missed ... but, when I went back later, it was back on the site. I just sent off my payment today, so I'm really excited. :D

evilminion
Senpai - Elder

Post by evilminion »

:evilblk :evilblk :evilblk :evilblk :evilblk :evilblk :evilblk

Okay, define "sexy". By my own tastes, most of my top wishlist cels are rare and sexy, but other collectors might disagree. :emb The thing about sexy is that it's extremely subjective... :evilblk

In general, though, even if a cel matches a scene on my wishlist and is incredibly rare, I might hold out for a better frame from the sequence. Because even if I'm buying something I don't consider sexy, I want the image to look aesthetically good, particularly if I'm going to pay premium for it.
Last edited by evilminion on Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
He who dies with the biggest mech... obviously needed a bigger mech.
http://www.evilminion.com/ - anime cel gallery
evilminion
Senpai - Elder

Post by evilminion »

Drac of the Sharp Smiles wrote:Now.... being a die hard scene shopper.... I think I might throw myself on a frigging sword if I miss another update of first season Saiyuki gengas.
*cheerfully hands Drac a sword, then waits for the inevitable outcome so that she can steal a certain pork-bun sketch*
He who dies with the biggest mech... obviously needed a bigger mech.
http://www.evilminion.com/ - anime cel gallery
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Sexy vs Rare

Post by Keropi »

BaDMaN wrote: You have found a wishlist Cel on some site thats super sexy, and another on some other site thats super duper rare.
Both same price.
Which one? X|
I would have to go with the quality cel. I don't like cels that much more just because they're rare. I've bought a few "rare" cels and I still look at them and wish they were of better quality.

For me:

Rare cel of high quality + acceptable price = Wishlist Cel
Rare cel of medium quality = Something I would buy, but wish I had a higher quality cel of
Rare cel of low quality = Will buy only if it's cheap.

High quality, medium availablity cel + acceptable price = Highly desired cel
High quality, high availability cel = Medium-high desired cel
hanaeleh
Senpai - Elder

Post by hanaeleh »

I have to go with sexy. I don't care if there are a bazillion of the same scene if it's something I want. And, specifically, if it's a scene or of a character I don't particularly care for... but it's rare, well then... who cares?

The most expensive cels are, I've found, both sexy AND rare. :dsmoke Thems the ones I like. :crossbones
"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

Cels for Sale!!
http://www.hanaeleh.com/cels/celgallery.html
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

hanaeleh wrote:The most expensive cels are, I've found, both sexy AND rare. :dsmoke Thems the ones I like. :crossbones
Amen to that! I couldn't agree more. I just wish I could afford more of them ... :emb But, it's always such a thrill when everything comes together and you manage to score that perfect sexy and rare cel.

Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

hanaeleh wrote:The most expensive cels are, I've found, both sexy AND rare. :dsmoke Thems the ones I like. :crossbones
Oooooh, I'm so drinking to that tonight!!
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
hanaeleh
Senpai - Elder

Post by hanaeleh »

:D Gotta drink to something! :cheers
"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

Cels for Sale!!
http://www.hanaeleh.com/cels/celgallery.html
dude_moose
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by dude_moose »

I would go with super rare because I shop for my favorite scenes a lot so if I manage to find one, I gotta buy it (tho cels from that scene could also be super sexy too!)!
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

My perfect example:

http://img.rubberslug.com/user/5fcc54e7 ... 2small.jpg

A1End cel - so very rare - but ohhhh sooooo sexy!! :bow

Maybe that is why the starting price was 250,000 yen!! X|
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

tex-chan wrote:Anyhow, I got lucky this last time, and got three sets. One of them I thought I had missed ... but, when I went back later, it was back on the site.
You don't mind if I sob a little, do you? :) ;;; You realize I expect to see scans, right?? :^^:
evilminion wrote:*cheerfully hands Drac a sword, then waits for the inevitable outcome so that she can steal a certain pork-bun sketch*
Nice to know who my real friends are! I should order my vampyric hordes to teach you a thing or two.... (*looks over to find her vampyric hordes playing Mah Jongg with the chibi ninjas*) Forget that, I guess. :D

Many Sharp Smiles,
--Drac
Tabbykitty
Senpai - Elder

Post by Tabbykitty »

I think it depends on the wishlist item...and I think they have to be some combo of sexy/quality/rare

example-my dbz wishlist cel
http://tabbykitty101.rubberslug.com/gal ... emID=32522
beautiful...yes...rare...yes...not exactly sexy though

it all depends on what means the most to you :)
You fight quite well for being such a ... little man-Android 18
http://tabbykitty101.rubberslug.com/
:cat