How Can you Tell a Hanken from another cel?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Have you ever seen/touched a hanken in person?

I own one! Touched it myself.
48%
Seen in person, but wasn't mine.
19%
Yah right! Like I have that kind of money! Closest I can get is an online picture.
33%

Total votes: 21

fetish4minx
Kishin - Fierce God

How Can you Tell a Hanken from another cel?

Post by fetish4minx »

Subject line tells it all.

Are they larger? Do they just have a *feel* about them? Or do you have to know your films in & out to know those scenes weren't in there?

I have a My Little Pony (I know...non anime-but the question is applicable)...I've never been able to figure out what it was...I'm doubtful...but curious.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP/SUGGESTIONS!
marie:)
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

It depends.. i have 2 (Lum) and arent really 'large' just a little bigger than a regular cel, and longer in height. Whereas there are some that are HUGE! 8O

P.S. HEY COOL!!! Your name is the same as mine!!
Sweet! *high fives Marie* lol
Wow that was so off topic :emb
Marauder
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Marauder »

Well, hanken do not have sequence numbers, so that is probably an easy tell (although the numbers on production cels sometimes rub off). Usually, since hanken are used for things like covers and posters, the image will be very "posed."
RX78GP02AGUNDAM
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

Hankens have cel numbers (but not sequence numbers). But not all. I've seen hankens with Magazine title names and issue numbers, as well as card numbers (used for cards). My last hanken says K-4. The hanken I just won a couple days ago doesnt have a sequence number. It varies. Best is find the image it was used for...and the quality.
Evilarrex
Juuyaku - Executive

Re: How Can you Tell a Hanken from another cel?

Post by Evilarrex »

Normally the easiest way is to link the Hanken Image to the promotional material such as poster, LD Cover, CD Cover, Magazine spread, jigsaw puzzle, phone card for which it was created.
"Clamp"
Pronunciation: 'klamp
1 : a device designed to bind or constrict or to press two or more parts together so as to hold them firmly
2 : a 4 women manga team in Japan responsible for my financial ruin.
http://evilarrex.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

Hanken Mono cels are special cels made in the use of advertising a show or products of a show. Almost all hanken mono cels have hand-painted lines on the top of the cel & are drawn & painted by the most talented artists in the studios. Most hanken mono cels are used for the following:
- CD or LD covers
- Magazine advertisements
- Posters
- Artbook illustrations
- Idol cards, pencil boards, etc.
- Illustrations for products
These cels are not used in the production of the show & thus have no sequence numbers in the upper right hand corner. They are usually very difficult to find & highly sought after by collectors because of the high quality of the art.

this was taken from asylum-anime on the page where the hankens are.
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

Hanken cels look "perfect", so perfect in fact that sometimes you might not think it's a real cel.
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

I WANT ONE!!!
Lady Brick
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Lady Brick »

shellie wrote:I WANT ONE!!!
I think that just about sums it up for most cel collectors :P
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

Lady Brick wrote:
shellie wrote:I WANT ONE!!!
I think that just about sums it up for most cel collectors :P
Of course it does not ! .......

I want several ! :D
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Lady Brick
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Lady Brick »

Yes, but even with a huge disposable income, I doubt I would buy more than one at a time :)
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

You dont necessary have to spend 1k + for a Hanken..:wink:

I've seen some about 200-500 on some sites. One was a Ranma cel of Akane and ranma used for playing cards not too far back-- was listed for 20,000 yen and still had no bidders because the seller didnt spell Ranma right and it wouldnt come up in the search engines. :D

Sometimes you get those wonderful alta-vista babelfish translator surprises, where you bid on a cheap auction and get more than you expected in your package. 8O Thats how I got my lum :vict
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

I agree that the best way to identify a hanken is if you can find the original artwork it is used for. I have a hanken from Mahou Tsukai Tai that is the cover to the Dengeki Animation magazine Jul 1999. Hankens are also usually very finished and posed cels. Almost invariably, hankens have an attention to detail that no production cel can match. Cel numbers do not necessarily rule out the cel from being a hanken. Another hanken that I have is one of the small images on the 2nd Oh My Goddess Japanese issue DVD. Hankens can also come with complete douga or genga, however this usually the exception

There is usually quite a range in price for hanken cels. I have seen some from lesser known anime go as low as $200 and seen some for extremely popular anime go 1,000,000 yen and up...

Still, hankens are best of the best when it comes to anime art.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

I currently have two hanken cels. Both were really cheap (<$100) and to
add to the debate, both have numbers on them. For example, the Hooligan
from Digi Charat that I have was used in a trading card series so it has the
# of the card as the number on the cel (at least that's what I assume...I
haven't tracked down a copy of the card).
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Is it a Hanken?

Post by Krafty »

Hi guys, I'm very confused about a few cels I have and I'm not sure whether they're Hankens or not. I assume that they're pre-production model sheets/colour test sheets but the compositions suggest thay would be suitable for advertising/merchandise.

The three images are from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and I just put them up on my RS gallery here: BlueBlade Anime Art

If you have any thoughts on these items I'd love to hear!

C'later!