Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Luna Hoshino
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Luna Hoshino »

... how much would I have to pay to get Howl tied to my bed? :wink:
hanaeleh
Senpai - Elder

Post by hanaeleh »

Just came back from seeing this with my students- one of them had seen it three times already! :P

And Luna- I'll help tie him up to the bedpost for you! :love: WOW!
"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

Cels for Sale!!
http://www.hanaeleh.com/cels/celgallery.html
Luna Hoshino
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Luna Hoshino »

hanaeleh wrote:Just came back from seeing this with my students- one of them had seen it three times already! :P

And Luna- I'll help tie him up to the bedpost for you! :love: WOW!
Yay! You can share him if you want; I'm sure HE won't mind... :wink:
kisara
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kisara »

Yay! I just got back from seeing it. :D Had to drive over an hour, but it was way worth it. Not since Cindrella have I wanted to be a cartoon character so bad as I do now! I want to be Sophie, dangit! I'm in-love with Howl. Yep, he's now clinched the spot as favorite bishie. Just. . . . *swoons* I loved it! What a FABULOUS story. Soooooo brought-out the giddy, little-girl in me. :D I'll be seeing it again. . and again. . and. . . :D

*dashes off to bed so she might have sweet dreams of Howl*
"You have to keep your whits about you when you're losing your mind." - a friend

:P
Court
Kamisama - God

Post by Court »

I saw it last Saturday for the first time!!!! I LOVED this movie and I try to talk it up to people every chance I get. I'll probably support it again if I get a chance.
One small weak point was:
The cute scarecrow becomming the missing price and saying that Sophie was his true love. It seemed kind of funny that he was all super happy that she was with Howl and just said 'well hearts change! farewell!' They do but maybe I felt the scene was rushed or something.
This will definitely be added to the DVD collection.
Marauder
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Marauder »

I liked the movie a lot also, it just seemed a bit cheezy at the end (especially for the reason that court mentioned).
cidsa
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by cidsa »

I saw Hauru no Ugoku Shiro around when it came out, I watched the horrible cam rip that surfaced (My friend got to see it in a theatre in Tokyo, lucky!!).
Then I got my friend to buy me the R2 DVD when it came out. When I watched it, I noticed that it had English and French subtitles.
So I was able to watch it with some other friends who don't speak japanese and the english subtitles were done *very* well.

I haven't heard much about the english dubbing in the movie, but I assume that it was well done as the others were. Although I can say that I wasn't a big fan of the Mononoke Hime dub (Claire Danes as San was totally unconvincing, a weak performance).

Also, a lot of people have compared Howl to previous Ghibli works and say that it doesn't compare. I can agree somewhat, it certainly isn't my all-time favourite Ghibli movie, however I do think that it is just as entertaining as any of the other Ghibli films.
I loved the characters, the story, the animation..everything :D

Oh yeah, recently my friend came back from Tokyo (again!) and she bought me a stuffed Calcifer. He's so cute :3

I do have one question though.
I never read the book and all..but does Sophie actually become young again at the end? I know she *looks* young, but the movie kept changing her back and forth, so I'm not sure if she did or not.
Ashura
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ashura »

cidsa wrote:
I never read the book and all..but does Sophie actually become young again at the end? I know she *looks* young, but the movie kept changing her back and forth, so I'm not sure if she did or not.

Yes she does, though her hair stayed permanently white.

I'm not a bad girl......

I'm just a good girl being bad for you
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

In the book
She never does the whole switching back and forth thing. Howl tries nurmerous times to change her back while she's not looking (he tells her this towards the end), but it never works. He says she must like being "in disguise." You know what the best part of the book is? Howl's from Wales!!! :crackup There are other minor changes, too, like who the real enemy is, who Solomon is, and who Howl's teacher is. I suggest reading it--it's a great story, and enjoyable either way. :)
Ashura's completely right about the movie, though. :D
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Maiko wrote:PS. Why does the general anime public squirm if people simply have something nice to say about Disney? It's something that I, as a Western Animator, will never understand.
I recommend that anyone who is a fan, un-fan, or ex-fan of Disney read the book "Disney War" by James B Stewart. It was (is?) a sad corporate world over there on the Disney lot, which is sad because they have some of the most talented people working there in the world. I'm torn. :l
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

Caroline wrote:
It was (is?) a sad corporate world over there on the Disney lot, which is sad because they have some of the most talented people working there in the world.
Well, things may be undergoing a change soon now that Pixar is part of Disney and Steve Jobs is the biggest shareholder.

I'm looking forward to buying the domestic release of Howl's Moving Castle. It comes out March 7th, so I think that it will make a nice Easter gift for another Howl fan in my house! I really want to hear the seiyuus, especially Howl and Calcifer.
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Proof that you can never go wrong underestimating the intelligence of the American viewing public, as Wallace and Grommit takes the Oscar away from Howl.

Yes, I know it was a really good and entertaining movie but man! it's the principle of the thing!! *weep*
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Oh, that is wrong ... on so many levels.

*walks over to bish closet ... opens door ... hands Howl a hankie*

Don't worry, magic man! I still luvs 'ya best! :D
This post brought to you by The Power of Plastik.

jcaliff

Post by jcaliff »

Actually, I thought Wallace and Gromit was a better movie than Howl. Not that it was a bad movie or anything - obviously it was a great movie. But I think that of the three nominees, Wallace and Gromit most deserved the award.
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

I believe W&G got sympathy votes because Aardman Studio burned down last year.
I thought HMC and Corpse Bride were both much better movies.