What is the longest running anime?

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Goldknight
RULER

What is the longest running anime?

Post by Goldknight »

What I mean is....which has the most episodes? I was floored when finding out how long of a show Detective Conan is. It's still going with several hundred episodes. So I got curious.....anyone know which anime has/have the most episodes ever made?
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

I used to know but can't remember the name of the series. I heard it first aired around the 1960(?) or earlier and episodes are still being created and air today. If I can find out what series it is then I'll post it unless someone knows and posts before me. :)
RX78GP02AGUNDAM
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

I thought Doraemon was longer but I think Sazae-san is.
Its on its 37th Year, and current episode is 1821. Each episode makes up 3 different short stories, which is 5620 shorts.
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

I think this one:
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... e&aid=3588

And #2:
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... e&aid=4035

Edit:
You beat me RX. :D

WOW! More ep. than the ones I posted. 8O

Sazae-san is definately the one I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name.
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote:I thought Doraemon was longer but I think Sazae-san is.
Its on its 37th Year, and current episode is 1821. Each episode makes up 3 different short stories, which is 5620 shorts.
Heeheehee I used to watch sazae san!! Yeah that is very very long series :D :D

Also an american version, "the simpsons" is also a long series.....
Cats rule!
hyelakingsfan
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by hyelakingsfan »

thats insane!!! 8O
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

Anime News Network wrote: Doraemon is one of the longest running TV series in Japan, while Sazae-san has been running longer, there are more episodes of Doraemon. While the original 1973 series was not very well received and fizzled after only 27 episodes, the 1979 series still runs today, with over 2000 episodes (total) to date.
I can't find an exact number for Doraemon though, so I can't verify accuracy... Regardless, any show that hits over 1000 episodes is pretty amazing to me.
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Gosh... the only other show (aside from news shows, of course) that I can think of that even rivals that is the soap Days of Our Lives, which has been on the air more or less my whole life (and was on radio before that, if I remember correctly).

When you start to get into the multiples of generations MAKING the show, that's impressive!! It's one thing to be on the 3rd generation of people watching bad reruns of Scooby-Doo, but they're reruns...
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

Over 1,000 episodes, ne? Wonder if we could get a fansub group to tackle that? Ha!
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

Perhaps one of the non-unionised ones. :?
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
monkeyboy
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator
Location: Heading for the 90's...Living in the wild wild West...

Post by monkeyboy »

While the original 1973 series was not very well received and fizzled after only 27 episodes, the 1979 series still runs today, with over 2000 episodes (total) to date.
WOW! Way to stretch out the first 27 episodes by creating 1,973 clip shows! :wink: