Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyoushou~

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

Rekka Alexiel wrote:It's kinda sad how little I know about classic and modern Japanese literature. I need to do more with this stuff.
Hey, don't worry about it. I'm majoring in the stuff, I feel I ought to know *something*.
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

weyrlady wrote:
Rekka Alexiel wrote:It's kinda sad how little I know about classic and modern Japanese literature. I need to do more with this stuff.
Hey, don't worry about it. I'm majoring in the stuff, I feel I ought to know *something*.
Yep yep! Whatever tiny bit I know about it I've picked up by ferreting out nasty old academic tomes in the library. (I'm glad that the subject bibliographer for that area now happens to be someone with a true interest in this area, so it's getting easier.) Isn't it nice we have Weyrlady to share info with us the EASY way? :)

Ok, you guys, two questions: 1) are you reading the manga in Japanese? If it's in English you MUST SEND ME PURCHASE INFO!! :-) 2) ditto the second half of the episodes thus far.

EDIT: 3) Genji, ditto. The library has a nasty old translation of the second part of it, which is in an old an generally inaccessible style of English. Plus, the dust and accumulated years of library crud give me the sneezies. I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that there was a newer translation out? (and yeah, I can look it up. I'm lazy, though.)

I have to echo the sentiments that this really isn't a ripoff. Sure, it's pretty natural for someone to say oh good, Fruits Basket meets Fushigi Yuugi. In spite of the similarities in character design I really think this is a much better, even-handed and .... gosh I don't have the word .... mature? handling of the story.

And we don't have people running around yelling "Miaaaakaaaaaaaa!" all day. :P (as much as I loved FY...)
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Baakay wrote:Ok, you guys, two questions: 1) are you reading the manga in Japanese? If it's in English you MUST SEND ME PURCHASE INFO!! :-) 2) ditto the second half of the episodes thus far.
You are talking about Haruka here, right? haha

ok, so 1: I have all 9 of the mangas thusfar. Mizuno is still writing the story. Vol. 9 came out early October. Sorry, they're not in English.

2: And you're talking about eps 6+ of the new TV series, right? lol Apparently that's as much that has been fansubbed so far... but I have all the other eps. How could I not? lol I'll say it again, eps 11 was SOOOO GOOOOOOD!!
EDIT: 3) Genji, ditto. The library has a nasty old translation of the second part of it, which is in an old an generally inaccessible style of English. Plus, the dust and accumulated years of library crud give me the sneezies. I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that there was a newer translation out? (and yeah, I can look it up. I'm lazy, though.)
A trans for the tale of genji? There's a trans for it... I have one of the versions (I'm sure there's more than one translation for it), I just...haven't read it yet. lol
And we don't have people running around yelling "Miaaaakaaaaaaaa!" all day. :P (as much as I loved FY...)
Oh dear lord, yes!! lol Akane can be a bit whinny and teary at times, but still she's better than Miaka. Of course, the guys around her still like to scream her name to all ends of the earth... but... I like all of the Hachiyou. And for FY, I didn't like all of the cast members. At least with Haruka, I like all the characters. I think they're all well-rounded and dynamic.

I'd say more...but I'm being dragged to the mall... so, until later.. lol
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

Baakay wrote: Yep yep! Whatever tiny bit I know about it I've picked up by ferreting out nasty old academic tomes in the library. (I'm glad that the subject bibliographer for that area now happens to be someone with a true interest in this area, so it's getting easier.) Isn't it nice we have Weyrlady to share info with us the EASY way? :)
Aha, your faith is touching. Misplaced, but touching. ;-)
Baakay wrote: EDIT: 3) Genji, ditto. The library has a nasty old translation of the second part of it, which is in an old an generally inaccessible style of English. Plus, the dust and accumulated years of library crud give me the sneezies. I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that there was a newer translation out? (and yeah, I can look it up. I'm lazy, though.)
I'm reading this version:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

It's rather nicely done, I think.
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com