Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Juuni Kokuki

Post by Gonzai »

Ok - has anyone here watched this at all?? I started watching
it and have got through about 15 episodes of it. It is such a
complex anime, but I am absolutely loving it!! 8O I don't think
I have ever heard anyone talk about this before. I would love
to get others thoughts about this!! Do you like it as well as I do??
I am just mesmerized by it!! :wink:
Last edited by Gonzai on Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

It's one of the best anime series released lately.

The entire series is 45 episodes and unfortunately will not be completed as no more episodes have been released on Japan. Don't worry anyway, all the 4 parts in which the series is composed has an end...... except the 2nd one maybe.... (which there was expected to be another novel covering it)

Each part of the series covers one of the novels. If you are on episode 15 then you are probably starting the part related to the 2nd novel..... In my opinion, the best of all 4 is the 3rd novel.

And yep, as you say, the anime is very complex, but mainly the 1st novel because you are not familiarized with the Juuki Koki world. The other novels are easier to follow.
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

Post by Deadly Whispers »

I found this series when the first disc was released here - Magician picked it up and told me I should try it because there was a unicorn on the cover. :^^: Auspicious, ne?

But I absolutely adore it. I have never wished so badly that I could read a full novel in Japanese as I have when watching this series - for rather than a comic, it's based on a series of books that I imagine are rather like Dragonlance or something. But watching it FEELS like reading a book.

Does that make sense? :emb

I love the contrast of characters, from Youko being so boyish to Kaname being so girly, to the three girls (Shoukei, Youko, and Suzu) that are unknowingly changing the fate of a kingdom - it's so rare to have stories revolve around girls, and strong ones are absolutely an anomoly! That's not exactly a spoiler - I don't even know what episode I'm on, but it's the eighth DVD.

Not to mention the music. Enthralling.

I believe Queen Serenity and I were talking about this, and character designs. I love Kaiko - Keiki's nyosai (the half-women guardians) - but Sanshi is a close second. They're so beautiful and strange.

I think I tried to get GK involved in this show, but she made me laugh too hard by saying "Kokki" sounds like a bad word. :crackup So, YAY for Pudge! Now I can talk about this most awsome of shows more! :vict

~ LoK
Dustie
Kishin - Fierce God

woohoo!

Post by Dustie »

If you couldn't tell by by my little ID, I simply worship er I mean, adore the series... ok maybe just Shoryu :bow :bow :wink: :joke

Others have already expressed fully why they like the series so much, I really don't want to sound like a broken record. :wink: But I do love complex stories that develop their characters. It is a shame they didn't make any beyond episode 45. My understanding of it was it was on indefinte hiatus.. maybe somewhere down the line they will continue. (but won't count on it :roll:)

I've seen through the 8th volume of it.. can't wait til tomorrow when the 9th one comes out Though I do wish they would hurry up with the releases. (soo slow :evil: )

Thanks Pudge for starting this thread.. :)
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Thanks for your input guys!! I am really not very far into
it yet, but it just has me hooked. I can't wait to get some
spare time just so I can sit and watch it! 8O

darksuzaku wrote:And yep, as you say, the anime is very complex, but mainly the 1st novel because you are not familiarized with the Juuki Koki world. The other novels are easier to follow.
Oh, well that is good to know. I had to watch a couple episodes
more then once because I wanted to make sure I understood
what was going on before I moved forward. X|
Lady of Knight wrote:I have never wished so badly that I could read a full novel in Japanese as I have when watching this series - for rather than a comic, it's based on a series of books that I imagine are rather like Dragonlance or something. But watching it FEELS like reading a book.
Oh most definately LOK!! It is just like reading a novel. That is
why I have gone back and re-watched episodes. I will do that
while reading a book as well. But, I just feel like I want to understand
everything before moving on. :o
Lady of Knight wrote:Not to mention the music. Enthralling.
Absolutely!! It has such a traditional Japanese music kind of
elegance. With many of the newer animes, they have got away
from that traditional form of music. I think it adds to the anime
in a big way!! :)
Lady of Knight wrote:it's so rare to have stories revolve around girls, and strong ones are absolutely an anomoly!
YOu are so correct about that. I was thinking that the other day
when watching this. What a contrast to Naruto, where the girls
are not strong at all!! 8)
Dustie wrote:But I do love complex stories that develop their characters. It is a shame they didn't make any beyond episode 45. My understanding of it was it was on indefinte hiatus.. maybe somewhere down the line they will continue. (but won't count on it )
Argh - I hope it doesn't leave me up in the air the same way
Inuyasha did. :?
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Great. Another series to be hooked on! :wink: Is it in US release, or just Japan? Because you know I have to try it out now!!

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Jenn-B wrote:Great. Another series to be hooked on! Is it in US release, or just Japan? Because you know I have to try it out now!!
Really!! 8O Hmmmmmmm /gg
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

To Jenn-b: The 9th DVD is released today in the states, and with that one the entire 3rd novel is covered. I wonder when/if they will release the 10th DVD with the last novel (the 4th novel is a short one so 1 DVD should be enough).

As i live on Europe that easiest way for ordering these things is from Amazon.... i know i know, there are cheaper prices, but i used to have lots of headaches when dealing with other cheaper stores.

As a sidenote and for all who might be interested on this series, it's more well known here as "Twelve Kingdoms" :)

PS: And to make this thread cel related..... heh, i don't know if i have to be happy or sad that this series is done with CG.... because if it was done with cels definately i would have had to spend quite a bit on them :D
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

Oh man, I love 12K. ^_^ My friend showed it to me and a couple others, and we proceeded to get our entire college anime club hooked on it. It's such an awesome show. Youko is the coolest heroine ever-- she's very believable and extremely well characterized. I love how no one in the show is a charicature like in so much anime recently. You know--"the schoolgirl", "the love interest", "the broody warrior"-- like that.
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
Hikaruchan
Anime Geek

Post by Hikaruchan »

I started watching this show in 2002 - so sad no cels except repros. I have done a Youko cosplay, and am working on several more JK outfits to spend money on my love for this series.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Does anyone know if the novels have been translated?
I am really disappointed by the ending of the 2nd story.
WIth this going no higher then 45 eps, I am never going to
know what happened here. Its just maddening. X|
Hikaruchan
Anime Geek

Post by Hikaruchan »

I know there are some fan translations on the web, beleive I got the link off the JK livejournal (show us your JK fanart & cosplay)
http://www.livejournal.com/community/juuni_kokki/
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I loved this series as I was watching it, but be prepared for the letdown at the end. The third arc ends well and then there are a few nothing episodes and it just stops :x

You will need to find out the rest of the story elsewhere or be really mad for a while :evil:

But it is fun while it lasts :wink:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I agree Glorff. I read that the series was originally suppose
to be 68 episodes, and they suspended it at 45. So, that is
23 episodes that I will never know what happened. :l I am
mostly disappointed that there is no ending for the Taiki story
(arc 2). That is why I am hoping to find the novels translated. :P
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

Taiki is the most compelling story/ character and you get no answers :evil:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.