Waxing anime-ic

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
kisara
Yosutebito - Hermit

Waxing anime-ic

Post by kisara »

Oh, the things you think about in the shower!

So, I posed this question (in an extremely incoherent manner :P) to another forum member the other night. . . It arose when my son said something along the lines of, "Mom you're psycho, Yugioh's for kids!" I of course laughed, knowing, as I do now, 29 ain't a whole hell of a lot different from 19 and he'll get-it soon enough.

But I am curious to know, especially from all of you older folk. What is your attraction to anime?

I know mine is related to the fact that I'm pagan and I'm fascinated by anything a pagan society could spawn. When it comes to the whole Seto thing. . .lol. . . if you can challenge me at chess and still handle yourself around a weapon. . . take me now!

What about the rest of you?
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

My case..... This is from my old good memory from my child-hood :) When I was a kid, I used to watch anime always. Then when I was in a Jr high, I started drawing manga and created a doujinshi with my friends (we used to sell them at komike, short for comic market).
I always love reading manga.... and drawing manga. So anime is, in some sense, an extension of manga to me :D
Cats rule!
aernath
Perv-chan
Location: Half way across the country from where I was last time!

Post by aernath »

It's the bishies! ....and the storyline...
But mostly bishies!
At least for me, anyway...

....geeeeez.... am I that old already?

*mumble mumble*

oh yea, and the artwork! (beautiful bishies dontchaknow)
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Ok, I probably qualify as one of the older folk. *blush*

For me anime is the perfect combination of everything I've ever loved. Seriously! Starting with Grimm's Fairy Tales at age 6 or 7 I've worked with a deep and abiding joy in all things folkore/mythology/religion. [Side note: student of religions, practitioner of none].

I've also nursed a horrific addiction to fantasy and science fiction starting when someone introduced me to Tolkien in about 1977 or so, and it got worse with the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (wherein I think lies the beginning of my fascination for the male characters who are "marked" or "other" in some way). The long, complex stories and well-developed characters and places are the "draw" in this genre for me.

Oh yes, then there were D&D, text-based RPGs, and most recently MUDs, all of which share that "alternate reality" thing we love about anime. They also allow the creation of evolving and detailed stories about the places and characters therein. (Oh how I envy those of you who write well enough to do fanfics. I simply do not have what it takes to make a good plot, even though I have written stories for as long as I've been alive.)

Add to the mix a strong attraction to brightly colored, simply drawn artwork -- simple in the sense of bold, clean lines rather than abstract or impressionistic stuff -- as well as some 30 years of music background and, well, you have the mix that first drew me into anime. El Hazard started it off, but Escaflowne with its amazing soundtrack really cemented the deal. (Can you say "blown away"?) It was as though I had stepped into the perfect environment, something I had been preparing for my entire life.

Since I knew next to nothing about the Far East four years ago, I've had the additional delight of diving into Japanese history and culture, picking up a few dozen words and phrases of Japanese. (oddly enough, neither my German nor French studies ever resulted in my having decent pronunciation skills, but I can natter away in the little Japanese I know and actually sound good!). I've got this collection, which is something I hadn't done in YEARS... plus this little side collection of figures and pins and other stuff. It's even given me the desire to draw again. I was a very good sketch artist as a young person, but didn't touch a thing for probably 20 years... and would you believe one of my sketches of Gourry actually got published in an educational technology journal last year. (hee)

To top it all off, I get to share this with my kids. They will sit and listen to me tell them stories about the history of the world, and things about how geography is important to history and the story line (Kenshin is a great show for that), and how existing mythologies work themselves into the anime. And they ask the questions. Of course I use pretty simple language, but they'd never sit and listen to a lecture like that if I said "now I'm going to teach you something." But if we're watching stellar swordwork in kenshin, and they want to know what "samurai" means...

Whew! on and on forever. What should be clear, if nothing else, is the fact that I love this stuff and am forever indebted to Kymaera for introducing me to it. :iluvu
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Oh. Yeah.

And the bishies :P
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Well, I've been a fan of animation ever since I was a little kid. And I've always had a wild imagination, so the fact that I'm still an anime fan seems rather natural for me. Of course, I'm not much of a fan of the more "kiddie" series any more, though.
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Although I hate to admit that I am "older", I think that I definitely qualify as "dusty". I thnk that Baakay and Rekka state my reasons. I love anything that is beyond the norm....anything that uses even an ounce of the imagination. That has alway been my pull. Luckily, I had very supportive parents. Dad and I always watched Star Trek and Sat. morning cartoons. Mom always found it amusing that her "kids" were so addicted to it. But they totally play along with me now! Even though they cannot keep up with my new series, they still try to get gifts that are anime related. It's nice to have that kind of support. And it makes enjoying anime all that much better!

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
kisara
Yosutebito - Hermit

as I suspected

Post by kisara »

D&D! Woohoo!

lol and it's as I suspected. What my long-lost friends would be like, all grown-up. :)

And ain't it cool, Baakay? That's also one of the things I love about anime. Being able to expand on it with my kids. My son's currently learning Japanese and as far as being able to relate it to philosophy and religion with 'em. . . the opportunities are endless!

And the guys are hot!

(runs-off to pick-up her Seto sketches.) :D
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I'm going to go in the opposite direction and say I watch anime for the bishoujos. :D

But even if they weren't present I like anime because of the dynamic way they draw the art - something is always in motion be it the hair, the clothes, whatever. American art tends to look more static and stiff - although it is changing somewhat.

More mature storylines compared to most Western animated stories. I like the belief that you don't have to include young children as a target audience in order for your project to get people to see it or make money.

Freedom in being able to go everywhere and anywhere. They are able to make fun of all target groups if they feel like it. In US made productions they often try to include a quota of minorites and they dont want to make fun of anybody at all because of someone being offended. If they make fun of someone it's only because they want them to be the "bad guy" and then to show that they can be molded into becoming politically correct. This includes some of the more adult oriented animated shows like the Simpsons, but they are in the minority.

Characters often die in anime. This frees up the story to become frequently more dark, sad or menacing. In Western animation ongoing characters rarely die. When you know the characters could die you take threats to them more seriously and it could the story seriously dark. Take for example when the edited version of Escaflowne aired on American TV. Dilandou wasn't able to say "Kill them all". He was only able to say "Hurt them all!" which which completely blunted the emotional impact of what he was saying.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Because it's really good stuff! And it's being produced right now!

There is something special about a "golden age" such as the present, when there are literally over a hundred anime series and movies in simultaneous production. With this much activity, of course, there's a lot of dreck (I've read posts from intelligent people who say that 90% of what's produced isn't worth watching.) But also there's a lot of room for experimentation, reacting to other directors' and artists' ideas, and communicating with an increasingly sophisticated fanbase. So there is always something really interesting going on all the time somewhere.

I'm reminded of the theatrical world of the 1580s to 1610, when there were many troupes in London constantly competing with each other for audiences and demanding new, interesting material in a hurry all the time. OK, if there had not been such a ferment, Shakespeare would have written something else (he was a good narrative poet in the Spenserian vein). But it was just the right situation for a really inventive mind like his to step in and be fully appreciated for his talents.

Or think of the theatrical world of 1945-1970, when musical comedies were being put into production simultaneously, and so good writers and composers were in demand constantly. Again, Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim, and Richard Rodgers would have found things to do: but they could do them superbly on Broadway.

Waiting impatiently for my pre-ordered CLAMP mangas and having my daughter come home from Binghamton U. with the newest items on the anime grapevine to show me tells me that this pop. culture phenomenon is still in its golden age, with wonderful things still to come, or at least to find. It's good to be alive in such a time, and better still to be aware of it when it's happening, instead of learning about it from cultural history books written in 2020.
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

I love anime because of the art. And because they have such good plots and the episodes aren't just "one-shots."

Sure there are good looking guys in anime :P But, I love anime for its unique-ness. I don't know what life would be like without it :o

I have to thank Pokemon and DragonBall Z for getting me into anime. If I didn't watch those two, I would have never liked anime :)
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

COMPLETELY and unabashedly :topic
sensei wrote: I'm reminded of the theatrical world of the 1580s to 1610, when there were many troupes in London constantly competing with each other for audiences and demanding new, interesting material in a hurry all the time. OK, if there had not been such a ferment, Shakespeare would have written something else (he was a good narrative poet in the Spenserian vein). But it was just the right situation for a really inventive mind like his to step in and be fully appreciated for his talents. .
Wow, the principle of synchronicity holds yet again. I've been spending part of my vacation reading Michael Wood's Shakespeare. It means so much more in this context, comparing it with our "Modern Visual Society" (with apologies to Genshiken)
rayd
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rayd »

I guess with me its the variety of stories and genres that anime has the ability to portray. It has a certain style about it that appeals to me that other media can not do as well. It is intelligent and esthetic at the same time, at least the ones i have seen. Its not stamped out through a cookie press machine the way other media is done.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

I guess at 38 I qualify as an older collector. I don't have much to add since Baakay and everyone summed it up so well. So I guess my post is a pointless exclamation mark. :?
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

I was a bookworm as a child - I could have lived at the library and always had a book with me. I read in the car, at school, in my room, at my grandma's house, anywhere. I read anything and everything I could find, from classics to biographies. For some reason I was always especially drawn to fantasy and adventure. I was going through my bedroom at my parent's house the other day and found one of the first "fanfics" I started writing way back in elementary school based on the characters from the Three Musketeers (I forget exactly, but it started out like "D'Artagnan was walking down the street one day...") :emb I also loved cartoons, and had an extremely overactive imagination. I guess I just never grew out of it. Some people are like that.

I don't know that I would say I like anime more for the stories or adult-oriented content, especially seeing how some of my favorite anime are shows aimed at 5 year olds. In my case, I think it's in addition to everything else I like, something that naturally follows all the rest of my obsessive hobbies. I don't think it's any different than the football fan who decorates their home and office in their team's colors or any different than the fan of a celebrity who buys all their books and watches all their television programs. I just happen to be interested in cartoons. I say that, and it always reminds me of Otaku no Video. :D Tatakae! Otaking
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.