Fist of the NorthStar

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
soda
Jiggle Counter

Fist of the NorthStar

Post by soda »

I've been getting these DVD's through Netflix and I like 'em. Has anyone else seen this series? As much as I like the show, I've only seen a few shots that I'd like to have in my cel collection. I can't say that the animation is wonderful but I don't think I've ever seen a more bloody, murder at will anime. Cartoon Network could never show this with all the heads exploding since I'm not sure how they would cover that up.
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

When I was a kid, I used to watch it :D (Is this called "Hokuto no ken" right?) It is a nostalgia :D
Cats rule!
RX78GP02AGUNDAM
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

It's one of my long time favorites. The manga is great, at least the first Raoh Arc. It has a man's story, kinda G Gundam-ish. But, dude, do the cels suck. The only cel I have of is Kenshiro with the fat guy up in the mountains with a lot of nooky.

"You Are Shock", gotta love that OP.
Krafty
Custodian of Records

HNK or FOTNS

Post by Krafty »

RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote: "You Are Shock", gotta love that OP.
Heh, more like "You Wa Shock" as in the OST description ^__^ When it should be You Are Shocked anyway- love the Jap-->Eng translations!

As you say, the cels aren't the best quality- the lines fade pretty quick and the linework is fairly thick, but if you ran for 200+ epsisodes, you'd feels a little tired too ^__^
I collect cels from this series, 56 at the mo with a couple of cool genga- Kenshiro and Raoh. I used to collect all the action figures too, the 19XX series and the small 'Sega' toys which line the perimeter of my room.
Many of the cel images aren't all that bad, many of the ones I have are with BGs which helps, so when I get them scanned *keep waiting but don't hold your breath* please take a look at them.

The new series is better in terms of visuals, much slicker and with added CG effects. Character design is by one of my fave designers- Junichi Hayama (JoJo's Adventure) which is enough for me to get excited and if that doesn't deserve a dancing banana, I don't know what does :dban
His designs are just so cool! I read in an interview with him that Kenshiro was his fave character to draw...
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Re: Fist of the NorthStar

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

soda wrote: Has anyone else seen this series?
Yes, I remember it well. It set back anime in France back for ten years.
This series caused such an uproar it wasn't until Pokemon came out French television actively started programming anime again.
Of course it wasn't such a smart idea to programme "Fist" on Wednesday afternoon. 8O

The oil tanker impaled in the sky scraper is still such a powerful image.
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Re: Fist of the NorthStar

Post by iceman57 »

In_Gabriel_We_Trust wrote: Yes, I remember it well. It set back anime in France back for ten years.
This series caused such an uproar it wasn't until Pokemon came out French television actively started programming anime again.
Of course it wasn't such a smart idea to programme "Fist" on Wednesday afternoon. 8O
I revive this thread from the basement...

From the last 20 years this anime had been banned from french TV due to a powerful lobby of parents and ministers.
I agree that broadcast on the major channel a wednesday afternoon at 3 PM on the kid free day is a bit innappropriate. But France didn't turn to a bloodbath ;)
Also at this time there was a 2M pike of TV spectators (equal to big brother for regional audience) and TV channel earning money with violent series waited a high pressure level before to stop from a day to another.

Fact is that they stopped broadcasting at episode 89 (and dubbing almost at the same time) while there are 109 episode. What for a curse.

And now in 2009-2010... the miracle of Toki:
DVD remasters available in stores and the rest of the 1st TV series is now dubbed (unfortunaly with a new cast, but dubbed) to complete the full set of DVDs.

A cable TV (same group of the DVD brand) broadcasts now the remastered episodes. What is funny is that this anime judged to be extremely violent in the 80s-90s is now consider as regular and broadcastable compare to all the available anime on the market :D

20 years... hell... what for a patience but we little froggy will finally have the end of the story in our mother language 8)
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime