Post by Gonzai »

Has anyone seen this at all? I am contemplating
getting it, as the artwork looks extrodinary. Seems
like the type of anime I may like. WHat do others
who have seen it think?? :o
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

I've watched about half of it, and it was rather good, though I didn't think it was GREAT. (Or I would have finished it by now. Heh.)

The historical aspects of it made me yawn, but it does have its moments of decent action.
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

I bought the first 13 eps some time ago but I don't know what it's like. I only got it because it because the cover looked good, I'm so shallow :P

I'll watch a little tomorrow and let you know what I think...
Dustie
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Dustie »

stay far, far away from it! It's all mine. :evil2 (j/k) :emb

Seriously though, its quite good. But I am into the historical drama type anime anyway. (so I may be biased) :P :evilblk
yoshito
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by yoshito »

Only place I've found this is online... is it some sort of "smallish fanbase" anime?

T_T Really don't want to special order it in a store.
Click here if you agree with InuYasha.
animejewell
Juuyaku - Executive

Otogizoushi

Post by animejewell »

I really liked this series. It's really different and I like the style of animation. The story is very interesting because you start in the past and then go to the future. It's very worthwhile seeing.

Have fun viewing it,
Linda
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

I bought the first disc online at deepdiscountdvd.com.
They have great prices and free shipping if you aren't in a hurry to receive your copy (takes about 2 weeks to arrive). I buy almost all my anime there. Honestly, I don't think I ever bought anime from an actual store.

I haven't watched it yet, by the way as it just arrived today. It seems to have some unusual extras. I'm looking forward to seeing it because it is Production I. G. and their animation is amazing.
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Oooo. Historical? *ears perk up*

*gets out pad*....
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I like historical anime. <writes name down> :)
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Kata
Sakabat&#333; Sheath

Post by Kata »

Of what I seen is one great series. I like historical anime, and this one has a interesting storyline actually. I like the art, too.
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Otogi Zoushi Mini Review

Post by Krafty »

OK, I've seen the first few episodes of this anime and I'm getting on with it pretty well. I don't need to sum up the plot as you can just read the blurb about it on any anime site.
As it's by Studio I.G I usually expect good things because they're a dedicated team, they also have the guts to release titles that might not fair commercially well and this falls in that category.
If you've seen Kai Doh Maru and The Hakkenden and enjoyed them, you'll like this too, it's more of the same: Historical settings, realism and mysticism.
I like the way that we are being introduced to new characters each episode, these characters are 'joining our two heros on their quest' so to speak. That's what makes it feel like The Hakkenden, also in it's pacing. It's fairly slow, there's quite a bit of dialogue and not too much hi-octane action but when there is fighting, it's very realistic and the angels chosen to depict the action are dramatic and engaging.

The artwork isn't too flash, you can tell it's CG, and I was actually disappointed with the backgrounds which are (on the whole) fairly sparse and dull. The cross-hatching style is distinct on rocks/floors/walls and that gives it some character and sense of originality.
The whole ethos of this anime seems to be telling the story and it's not exagerating the characters or their circumstances. It's very down to earth and that is echoed by the simplistic art style too.

I'll be pleaed to see more of this, I wonder if my opinions will change once I get halfway through? If they do, I'll keep you posted ;)
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...