Samurai 7...

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Samurai 7...

Post by jenn-b »

I just finished watching this anime and was quite pleased. But then again, that's just my style. One thing that really threw me for a loop, however, was episode 7. What the heck happened to the animation style? Does anyone have any input on this one?

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
kisara
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kisara »

I saw the trailor for this one on the latest volume of FMA. That alone. . . I had to immediately get on-line and order a bunch of copies. And yes, I'm still wondering why this shop is making me next to nothing. *shrugs* They come-in Wednesday. I'm thoroughly excited and I love knowing that another betarian enjoyed it. lol Makes me feel a little better about being so damned impulsive. :P
"You have to keep your whits about you when you're losing your mind." - a friend

:P
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I just started watching this last night, and I definately
have to agree that the animation style was quite different
in ep. 7. I was pretty floored by it. Almost seemed
like I was watching a totally different show for awhile. X|

As for the rest of the animation, well I am still on the
fence about that. Sometimes CG can take too much away
from the animation. I wasn't sure I would like it after
watching the first ep., but it has steadily got better. :wink:
Ashura
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ashura »

I'm assuming they let the regular animators have their turn. That normally happens in longer animations. But who knows? :shrug

I'm not a bad girl......

I'm just a good girl being bad for you
Ronin
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ronin »

I've not seen it yet, but just reading what you wrote brings me nightmares about The Hakkenden! Boo hoo! :l
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

It looks both good and bad, the theme is right up my alley but the design isn't. I have the first two episodes on a preview DVD along with other anime trailers so I should give it a watch.
When this came out around about the same time as Samurai Gun, I opted for the latter. Don't know if I was right or wrong to do so...

So the animation quality changes from ep 7? Hmm, sounds like a funding problem to me! Just like The Hakkenden as you say Ronin, when they got into financial trouble, some of the episodes had to be completed by a different Korean studio which accounted for the drastic change in style and fluidity. Bad, bad news...

Is Samurai 7 based on the video game more than the original Kurosawa movie? [The game that was made a couple of years ago] I'm sure his story & characters get bastardized more and more each time until it's not worth mentioning the Kurosawa influence. LOL
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

Krafty wrote:Is Samurai 7 based on the video game more than the original Kurosawa movie? [The game that was made a couple of years ago] I'm sure his story & characters get bastardized more and more each time until it's not worth mentioning the Kurosawa influence. LOL
I saw the series.. umm.. well quite a while ago (3 months maybe?). Anyway it is a good series and I must say that it would have been a better choice to Samurai Gun. To be honest I cant quite remember ep7 now, but I cant say there was any episode where the artwork was altered so drasticaly that I would still remember it and I found the artowrk to be an overall good+ quality (so 8/10 or so). Its probably a funding or personel problem if there was a slight change.
As far as the story goes... it actually stays quite true to the Kurosawa film, and the main characters are not *that* far off... of course a few extra characters (like the girl etc) had to be added and a few additional storylines added and the overall story lacks the somewhat brutal portrayal of the social order and human behaviour like Kurosawas film.... BUT the story is well handled and adapted into its new setting and the main plots are well made and expanded (for example the young samurais jurney of experiance is well handled... although it all could have been more "gritty" for my taste).

Overall a good series that will pull pretty much anyone in and definately worth the watch: 8.5-9/10

SmacznyPomidor
yoshito
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by yoshito »

I still haven't watched the second DVD. >.< Watched the first one and it has lots of extra fluff (which was said above me) that threw me off for a bit. Overall I'm enjoying it though... haven't taken the time to watch it dubbed yet though, so no idea how good or bad that is.
Click here if you agree with InuYasha.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

I enjoyed the first two episodes I saw on the demo disc given to me by my never-ending supply of anime. I haven't seen past the first few episodes, though, so I can't really be a good judge of the animation/story. The CG did bother me at first, but I got over it.
Joost
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Joost »

mmhh saw the serie a long time ago, just when it came out, really loved the mix of the original story and the mec influance, but to I really did not remember the totaly different style in ep 7, maybe I should rewatch it :)

what I can say, is that it was a really good show :D
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Ugh...Episode 7 is just terrible. But the rest of the series is just fine. All I could think of when watching that episode was "Ed, Edd and Eddy". Not a good thing to think of in my book.

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Agreed - ep. 7 was just.......O_O
I have watched about 12 eps. of this now,
and I am really starting to enjoy it. It
is so much funnier then I had thought
it was going to be, plus the storyline is
really good. ^_^
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

This one has samurai AND mech AND humor??? Sheesh, where have I been? Gotta check into this one (even if ep. 7 does look like the dreaded Ed, Edd, and Eddy! ;))
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Ok, I just finished this, and although it didn't turn
out quite like I hoped, it was still an overall good
anime. Argh, now to just find some artwork of
Kyuzo. :love2
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

I just got a free DVD with the first ep of S7 from the Funimation booth at the Ohayocon, so I'm looking forward to watching it. I'll have to go back to their table tomorrow and ask them what's up with Ep. 7. :)