Getting to know your anime habits

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Getting to know your anime habits

Post by duotrouble »

*a Keropi inspired thread*

Soda used to do "getting to know you" threads so beta members could feel closer to each other. Well, we haven't had any of those in a while so I thought, after reading Keropi's thread, that we could have a small "getting to know your anime habits" kind of thread. :wink: I won't make it too long because I hate reading long threads. X| Only 10 questions.

1. How long have you been a fan of anime?

I have been a fan of anime since 1995. That's when I truly discovered what anime is even though I'd seen it all my life without realizing it.

2. How many animes have you seen?

I have seen over 200 titles. I'm a member of ANN. They have a great method for keeping track of your viewing. :wink:

3. By what means did you view your first anime as a fan?

I was bored one weekend with no money to go out partying so I went to Hollywood Video. They had a section of 5 tapes labeled anime. It looked interesting so I gave it a try. I've been a fan ever since.

4. How many episodes of anime do you watch a week?

I see about 10 episodes a week, although most of them are reruns. I watch Naruto weeknights on CN. I can't get enough of my Sasuke. :^^:

5. What are your favorite animes? (top 5)

Fushigi Yuugi
Card Captor Sakura
Ouran Host Club
X/1999
La Corda d'Oro Primo Passo Opus

6. Who are your favorite anime characters? (top 5)

Amiboshi - Fushigi Yuugi
Duo Maxwell - Gundam Wing
Athrun Zala - Gundam Seed & Gundam Seed Destiny
Edward Elric - Full Metal Alchemist
Subaru Sumeragi - Tokyo Babylon & X/1999

7. Do you watch anime with someone or alone?

I usually watch anime alone. I enjoy it more that way. After I've seen a series, then I like to share it with friends.

8. Do you sing along with the OPs & EDs?

Sometimes I do . . . badly. X| :wink:

9. Will you rewatch a series over and over again?

Absolutely! :D I can't tell you how many times I've watched Inuyasha, Weiss Kreuz, X/1999, etc.

10. Tell us an interesting story related to an anime series you watched.

I had just gotten my best friend into anime. I was loaning her Fushigi Yuugi, her second anime. While hanging out at her apartment one night, she asked if I'd watch the latest volume with her. I really didn't want to since I knew episode 33 was in that group but I said yes anyway. It would be fun even though I knew I was going to cry. When we got to that point, my friend stopped the VCR (yes - VCR) and turned to me sobbing. I said very calmly,
"Yeah, I couldn't believe he was the first one to die either."
She exclaimed,
"FIRST?!"
Crap! X| :emb

Added series titles to fave characters, plus changed one. :wink:
Last edited by duotrouble on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Ronin
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ronin »

Okay, I'll play (as it's a great idea for a thread!) :)

It was around 94/95 for me too, I was in Woolworths (a UK chain) browsing the videos and saw Street Fighter The Animated Movie! I was so excited, I had watched the odd Japanese animation before, but this...this was Street Fighter (I am a huge Street Fighter fan…if y’all didn’t know). Anyway, I put it on my Christmas list and low and behold Santa brought it for me! I watched it on Christmas day with my sister and have never looked back. I got into all the 'Manga' releases here in the UK and was hooked from that day!

Hmmmm only god knows...it must be well into the 100s...it's hard to say as I don’t keep count!

See answer 1.

A lot less at the moment, as it comes in stages and depends on how much I get into the anime. So it can vary from 0 - 20 episodes a week! X|
I mean as they slowly release Naruto here on DVD…they release about 13 episodes every 3 months, I can easily watch those in a day or two…depending on work and friends.

Ahhh, how can I answer this!!

Okay, my all time favourites consist of...in no particular order...

Rurouni Kenshin, Berserk, Ninja Scroll, X/1999, Cowboy Bebop but there are waaay more than that!! X|

Again, very hard. I mean it'd be hard enough just choosing 5 favourites from the Kenshin series...

Sooo...

Himura Kenshin/Sagara Sanosuke/Hajime Saito/Aoshi Shinomori/Seijuro Hiko - Rurouni Kenshin (I know, I know)
Jubei - Ninja Scroll
Gattsu - Berserk
Sorata Arisugawa - X/1999
Kakashi – Naruto

Those are ones that spring to mind.

I usually like to watch it alone, so I can watch as many episodes as I can (without having to wait for anyone else…mwhahahahaaaa). Although I have watched a few series and movies with my friends and sister.

Thankfully not! :wink:

There are a few series I have watched twice all the way through, X/1999 and Rurouni Kenshin being a few of them.

Well whenever I go to buy the latest DVD volume from a store…it doesn’t matter where I am or which store I go to, I always get approached by some weirdo who wants to talk to me about anime. I don’t know who they are or why they want to talk to me, but maybe I’m just an approachable person? Lol I know, I know they’re just being friendly, but I find it pretty funny.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

How was it on Christmas day with his or her sister and have never looked back? talk to you
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

Um... I became a fan of anime sometime in 2001/2002. So I say I'm pretty new to it.

I'd have to guess that I've seen roughly around 100, if you include anime movies.

I was suffering from a bit of insomnia, and turned on Cartoon network and the first Episode of Outlaw Star was on Adult Swim... and I was hook from then on.

That depends on my mood... there are weeks I'll watch 20+ and other weeks where I may only watch 5 or so.

Outlaw Star
YuYu Hakusho
Bleach
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Ultimate Hellsing

HotIce Hilda (OLS)
Alucard (Hellsing)
Chad (Bleach)
Major Kusinagi (GITS)
Howl (Howl's Moving Castle)

I usually watch anime alone... I don't really have anyone else to watch it with.

Not usually... though I tend to bop my head along to Cowboy Bebop's opening theme

I can't tell you how many times I've watched Outlaw Star. ^_^,

I don't really have a very interesting story about any anime series I've watched. Guess I'm kind of boring. =\
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

1994 was the start...so 13 years.

I have no idea. Hundreds?

Sailor Moon was on network TV at the time and a friend of mine loaned me all the episodes that she'd taped.

Not as many anymore (now that I no longer have hi-speed internet). Maybe 1 or 2. When I was in college, I was watching about 20 a week.

Cardcaptor Sakura
The Vision of Escaflowne
Angelic Layer
Kaleido Star
Hunter x Hunter

Tomoyo (CCS)
Sesshoumaru (IY)
Lady Oscar (Rose of Versailles)
Al (FMA)
Mitsuki (Full Moon wo Sagashite)

First, I watched it alone. Then, with groups of friends. Now, I'm back to watching anime by myself. It doesn't matter to me: either way is good.

Only when I'm by myself. ;)

Yep. It might take me awhile to get back around to something, but I've seen every series I've ever watched at least twice...some, many more times.

In college, we had to institute a "no talking, no heckling, no callbacks" rule in our anime club when we watched X/1999 the TV series. There were so many of us CLAMP fans that we would have probably knocked the offenders out cold had anyone actually attempted to disturb the viewings. :^^:
JuniorMintKiss
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by JuniorMintKiss »

I think it was 2000-2001 when I was in high school.

I'm really pathetic, but only a handful.

My ex-boyfriend was in the army and he would download anime off the Internet and make DVDs. He showed us 'InuYasha' one day and my best friend and I were hooked.

With school and work, I hardly have time to watch TV, let alone anime! I try when I can.

InuYasha
Yu Yu Hakusho
Gokudo
Fruits Basket
Scrapped Princess

Tasuki (FY)
Kuwabara (YYH)
Shigure (FB)
Shannon (SP)
Rei (Kodocha)

Mostly it's with myself, but my sister and my best friend loves to watch them with me when they can.

I just hum.

YES! ...I can't tell you how many times I've watched Gokudo... X|

My friend Sandra is very conservative (so how are we friends? hahaha) and so I thought that she would be turned off by YYH. I explained to her about the violence and the swearing and everything, but she said she'd watch the first episode, at least. She loved it! Now that she's serving a mission, I thought maybe her views had changed. But she wrote me a letter: "I can't wait to see you again so that we can watch more anime!"
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Getting to know your anime habits

Post by Keropi »

duotrouble wrote:2. How many animes have you seen?

I have seen over 200 titles. I'm a member of ANN. They have a great method for keeping track of your viewing. :wink:
Just to clarify. What do you mean by "seen"?

How much of a TV series do you have to see for it to count as having been "seen"? Every single episode? If I've seen all of the Utena TV series episodes except for the final episode does the series count as having being "seen"? :D

We're only counting TV series right?

I had created a TV series list previous, but now I can't locate it. I suppose I should probably keep track of TV series through ANN so I don't have to do this all over again. :hurt:

ANN is good for keeping track of TV series, Movies and ONAs, but they're not so good for keeping track of OVAs and omakes.
Last edited by Keropi on Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I require only minimal memory to have maximal conversations.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
crackpot27
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!
Location: My GPS is telling me to turn and there is no road...

Post by crackpot27 »

This sounds fun :D!

I started really getting into my first year of college (2001). My roomate had to watch Dragonball Z everyday at the same time, so I just kinda sat down and watched with her.

No idea...it seems like a lot but I couldn't say for sure.

I think it was grade school when my little sister pointed out Ronin Warriors (aka Samurai Troopers) to me. I hated it at first, but once I really sat down and watch it I was hooked XD.

About 7-10, I used to watch more, but I enjoy reading more these days (yet still must have my D. Gray Man fix every couple of days).

D. Gray Man
Yu Yu Hakusho
Final Fantasy Unlimited
Jing
Spiral

Lavi (d gray man)
Makenshi (Final Fantasy Unlimited)
Kurama (YYH)
Miranda (d gray man)
Orphen

Alone, or with one of my little sisters (mostly because they're as excited as I am about the new ones. Though I have to have silence...and they don't always like that.

Sometimes, but generally only the english tid bits, and I hum the rest.

I'm re-watching Orphen for the eighth time...so that's a yes.

I picked up my favorite series D. Gray Man, by complete accident. I ordered the first Deathnote manga and got it instead. Funniest thing about it is how much I love DGM and how much I absolutely loathe Deathnote (sorry fans :P )
RalphVboy
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RalphVboy »

Great topic, DT :)

Since around 94'-'95 seeing Appleseed and dubbed episodes of Dragonball, DBZ, and....err...Sailormoon :P

In the ballpark of a 100 or so.

Buying a VHS tape of Appleseed in a discount bin at Blockbuster.

Usually no more than 3 or 4 a week (no time :( )

Hunter X Hunter
Rurouni Kenshin
Tenjou Tenge
Cowboy Bebop
Gungrave

Kurapica
Hisoka
Kuroro
Natsume Shin
Kenshin Himura

Usually by myself, but my brother is an anime/manga addict too. It's fun to watch stuff with him, or anybody that's familiar with anime for that matter, so no explanations have to given (like, "Why are their eyes so big O_O? LOL :P ).

Yep, but only by myself.

Absolutetly! I usually decide how much I like a certain series, movies or OVAs by how often I find myself watching it beyond the first viewing.

Nothing really interesting, but I was able to convert a friend that was skeptical of anime around 4 years ago. All it took was watching all of the Record of Lodoss Wars OVA in one sitting :)
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

On and off for most of my life. I go back to the 1st Black & White Astro Boy & Kimba the White Lion (Jungle Emperor Leo) shown on the TV at home.

250+ and counting

Well as I mentioned in Question #1 on broadcast TV but at that age it was just cartoons and I had no idea about it being dubbed form Japanese. I always like cartoons while growing up but the actual 1st experience of an Anime was seeing Akira in the theater. It was so totally different from anything I had seen in scale and detail.

It really depends for I tend to watch in batches after I get my latest order from RAC.

Ah My Goddess
The World of Narue
Ai Yori Aoshi & Enishi
Stellvia
Ranma 1/2

Bell dandy (AMG)
Aoi Sakuraba (Ai Yori Aoshi)
Akane Tendo (Ranma ½)
Narue Nanase (The World of Narue)
Karin Maaka (Karin)

With my wife Maria.

No but they do play in my brain at most hours of the day. I have caught myself humming some of the incedental music from Ai Yori Aoshi that’s played while Aoi is cleaning or doing other chores while at work.

Many Times. If I spend the money for the dvd’s I will always rewatch them several times over time.

I do like to share a lot of my purchases of cels & sketches with friends and had to describe this sketch from Girls Bravo http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=153256 to a lady in her 60’s.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Your wife Maria sounds like a plan.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
JWR

Post by JWR »

Cloud wrote:Your wife Maria sounds like a plan.
More like a Saint , remember she puts up with me Cloud!
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Enough about me, let's talk about my dress.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
JWR

Post by JWR »

Cloud wrote:Enough about me, let's talk about my dress.
No it's Goldknights Dress you should be talking about.