Getting to know your anime habits

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Re: Getting to know your anime habits

Post by duotrouble »

Keropi wrote:
duotrouble wrote:2. How many animes have you seen?

I have seen over 200 titles. I'm a member of ANN. They have a great method for keeping track of your viewing. :wink:
Just to clarify. What do you mean by "seen"?
It's however you want to define it. :)
Keropi wrote:We're only counting TV series right?
Nope! I just said anime. Again, count however you want. :wink:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

*comes in briefly to smack JWR*

:wack

ok....continue on :D
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

:-) I will continue.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
dude_moose
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by dude_moose »

1. How long have you been a fan of anime?

Since about 1998-1999 (I was only 11-12 then...)
Pokemon started me off, then i moved on to DBZ... and then it really went downhill from there.

2. How many animes have you seen?
around 50?

3. By what means did you view your first anime as a fan?
My friend would tape pokemon for me or I would watch it with him at his house because I didn't have cable. By the time I started on DBZ in 7th grade, I had satellite so I was hooked on Cartoon Network.

4. How many episodes of anime do you watch a week?
Usually I try to have 2 or 3 shows I watch weekly, but right now I'm not watching anything for the first time in forever.

5. What are your favorite animes? (top 5)
not in any order...
1. X
2. Death Note
3. xxxHOLiC
4. Kemonozume
5. Tenchi Muyo
I want to say Texhnolyze too, but it won't fit. I also loved the last arc of Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror

6. Who are your favorite anime characters? (top 5)
again, not in any order..
1. Fuuma- X
2. Kanoe- X
3. Orochimaru- Naruto
4. Quon- RahXephon
5. Kusuriuri-san (Medicine Seller)- Mononoke/Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror

7. Do you watch anime with someone or alone?
I like to watch it with my friends, yes :-) but I don't mind watching it alone either.

8. Do you sing along with the OPs & EDs?
Only some. I usually skip them unless I really like the song.

9. Will you rewatch a series over and over again?
Yes!! I can't say how many times I've watched Tenchi Muyo and X TV

10. Tell us an interesting story related to an anime series you watched.
uhh.. not really interesting, but I learned html when I was in middle school so I could add frames to my dragonball z fansite on geocities.
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by otakusin »

Oops, went to edit and boom double post /sry
Last edited by otakusin on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by otakusin »

01. How long have you been a fan of anime?

To be honest I am not quite sure when I became a fan myself, it has been in my life since I was around ten years old. My dad was and still is a huge Robotech/Macross fan. I remember watching them all with him when I was a kid. I do know I thoroughly enjoyed watching the series with him so maybe starting around age ten.

02. How many animes have you seen?

I literally cannot even count, over a span of around nineteen years it has been quite a few. If I had to take a wild guess I would say minimum three hundred most likely several more.

03. By what means did you view your first anime as a fan?

In the early years it was however my dad got ahold of them, be it actual TV or bootleg VHS.

The first time I sought it out my own was in my second year of Japanese. We had a tutor from Japan, asked her if she possibly had anything that could help me learn a bit faster. She asked me if I read manga or watch cartoons, I was like hell yeah. She was kind enough to have her family send some manga over and the first VHS of Sailor Moon for me to borrow. I watched it and it did help with learning but was not really my thing at the time.

04. How many episodes of anime do you watch a week?

Depends on the week...

busy work week -usually around 1-5 episodes
slow work week -usually around 5-10 episodes
zero work week -usually one 13-26 series

05. What are your favorite anime's? (top 5)

Tenshi ni Narumon
Lovely Complex
Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaia
El Hazard: The Magnificent World
Kareshi Kanojyo no Jijyo

06. Who are your favorite anime characters? (top 5)

Relena Peacecraft
Demon God Ifurita
Yuusuke Kamoshita
Tomoe Yukishiro
Hikaru Hitachiin

07. Do you watch anime with someone or alone?

I tend to watch it alone anymore, once in a great while with my husband. He is not a huge anime fan but he has his shows and interests and I am more than willing to watch along with him.

08. Do you sing along with the OPs & EDs?

I have done this several times, Tennimon and Lovely Complex I will every time without fail.

09. Will you rewatch a series over and over again?

Absolutely, it's really interesting to see what you missed each time you rewatch, like finally seeing that freckle you had never noticed before.

Another Fushigi Yuugi story!!

Something bad happened long ago concerning my marriage. It literally shook me to my core, shattered everything I had believed and trusted in, to make matters worse the one person I needed was the one person I could not go to. Due to that I literally shut down emotionally for a period of time. One day I finally starting watching Fushigi Yuugi. To my surprise I never stopped, I literally sat up for almost four days straight and watched all fifty-two episodes (minus the OVA). I have never been on such an emotional roller coaster (concerning anime) before or after that series. I was finally yelling and crying like I had desperately been needing too, especially when Miaka had to go back without Tomahome. At that point I was a complete mess but oddly seeing Tama hold his hand up to reveal the ring gave me a sense of hope. I will never forget that anime, it was not a life changing anime or anything but at the time it was exactly what I needed.

Sorry about the depressing story but that's my story. It does have a happy ending though, even though it took a few years to mend the whole mess I do have a really strong and happy marriage now. We both learned a lot, life's lessons... some are hard, some not so much.
We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!! -- Jason Kidd
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

"Officially" became a fan in 1997. So, 10 years. Though I'd been watching the stuff my whole life (Maple Town, The Little Koala, etc.) I'd had no idea what it was.

Gosh, I really can't say. I'd have to find a long list of anime, sit and write them down before I could give a figure. A lot, though.

Sailor Moon on the USA Network. Despite the dub and edits (which I didn't know about) I liked it. I told a friend about it, who had already been into anime for awhile, and she introduced to the Japanese version through fansubs.

Very few. Maybe 2 or 3 or 4 in a week, if I stop to watch Inuyasha. Otherwise I stick to my digital fansubs, which I hardly watch at all right now, I'm so busy. Or my DVDs, which is rarer these days, because I can watch my fansubs on the computer while I work. I don't go digging through my collection to find something, instead.

Slayers
Vision of Escaflowne
Pokemon
Princess Tutu
Tenshi ni Narumon

Team Rocket - Pokemon
Lina - Slayers
Riiya - Akazukin Cha Cha
Meryl - Trigun
Tamaki - Ouran High School

Alone. And it's better that way, because if I'm watching it for the first time I like to be able to sit and take it all in, without interruptions and questions from anyone. If I've seen it a few times, I'd be game with someone else there.

Maybe in the car XD

Yes! I've lost count of how many times I've seen Trigun, Slayers, and Pokemon ;)

I got into Slayers completely by accident. I was spending the night at a friend's house, and we needed something to watch while we went to sleep. I liked the way the VHS cover of Slayers volume one looked, so I picked that one. The friend fell asleep, but I was awake and enthralled with the whole thing. I knew I had to find out more!
genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by genomexec »

Well... since maybe 1996? Maybe 1997. The Bubblegum Crisis OVAs were the firs thing I saw, and what got me into it, and I guess I rented the first episode around then.

No idea... a bunch.

An older friend of mine at school mentioned some to me, and the name Bubblegum Crisis stuck with me, so when I saw it video store I rented it. That was that.

Some weeks I watch none... others I watch a lot.

BubbleGum Crisis OVAs
Ghost in the Shell
Yawara!
Wings of Honneamise
Akira

Largo - Bubblegum Crisis
Leon McNichol - Bubblegum Crisis
Sylia Stingray - Bubblegum Crisis
Yawara Inokuma - Yawara!
Kaneda - Akira

It depends. Usually with friends, sometimes alone, and on rare occasions with my girlfriend.

...sometimes.

Yes.

Hmm... nothing springs to mind...
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

Since the early 80s I was around 5 or 6.

Don't know but I've watched all of animenfos top 100 when I returned to being an anime fan in 2003 however I've watched as much back in the 90s. Do I remember most of them? Hardly.

Simple, TV

Lately it's down to a crawl, I'm lucky if I can get in 4-5, usually I get in 2

Choudenji Machine Voltes V
Tosshou Daimos
Rurouni Kenshin
Peace Maker Kurogane
SDF Macross and DYRL

Kazuya Ryuzaki - Tosshou Daimos
Saitou Hajime - Rurouni Kenshin/PMK
Roy Fokker - SDF macross
Voltes Team - I like them all sorry
Hotohori - Fushigi Yuugi

Alone. I'm the only one who likes anime, but with someone if they care to.

Typically no.

Definitely, but mostly after some time if it is plottish. The episodic anime, I watch frequently time permitting.

Two stories.. My favorite Daimos and Voltes V I watched as a kid, it was the second re-run. The first time it was shown was perhaps late 70s but was cancelled by the government during the time of martial law. It was shown again (the one I watched) but I never finished because during the time there was the "people power revolution" which overthrew the dictatorial government... I never finished until around 2000... when I got a copy of the last four episodes of voltes v and daimos. So roughly 15-20 years has passed. My feelings towards these two anime has not changed. They are and always will be my favorite anime of all time.

Second story... I had watched the 1st episode or Rurouni Kenshin back in 1997. It was in English during the time, the trend was to localize the language of anime (I watched FY, YYH, DBZ in my local language). Since it (RK) was in English I avoided it like the plague and I didn't like the first episode. I had almost finished animenfo's top 100 when I saw the RK OVA Tsuiokohen as #1 (I think it still is), curious in 2003 I watched Tsuiokohen and the rest as you know is history. Watched the TV (finally) and found an old geezer.
My Cel & Sketch Gallery: http://hajimenokizu.com
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

I grew up watching anime as Star Blazers, Battle of the Planets, Voltron, Robotech, etc., but recognized it as Japanese animation and got back into Robotech when I was in high school, so about 1991.

I used to keep track at ANN, and at last count there was about 700. I honestly don't know anymore. Let's just say over 700.

One of my friends in high school was into Robotech and got me interested in it again through comics and novels. I was already in the comic book club, and one day we had a meeting where we watched some anime.

Not as much as I used too. Work and MMOs have eaten most of my time. If I'm in a heavy viewing mood, I can watch a whole series in a day or two (Kaleidostar New Wings two weeks ago on a lazy Sunday)

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Ryu Knight
Nintama Rantaro
Detective Conan
Bonobono

Yang Wenli (LoGH)
Seigfried Kircheis (LoGH)
Detective Takagi Wataru (Detective Conan)
Komatsuda Shuusaku (Nintama Rantaro)
Miwa Satoshi (Marmalade Boy)

Hmmm, no girls in the list, and I seem to like cute comedy relief.

Alone, almost always. I used to go to the anime club when I was in college long ago, but I don't have the patience to put up with the MST3Kers in the audience anymore.

If they're catchy enough! I love anime karaoke.

If it's not too long and doesn't leave me emotionally scarred for life, then yes. :) I've watched Ryu Knight more times than the law allows while looking for screen caps, but there's a reason that season 3 of LoGH has no screen caps in my cel gallery.

One year, while living in Japan, I decided to make the trip to go to Jump Festa - a big annual event for Jump magazine (One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Prince of Tennis, etc.) I went to Tokyo on the overnight bus and got to Tokyo Station about 6:00 am. I took to the trains to where the event was supposed to be, and got in line with thousands of other people. I waited in line for over 10 hours. By the time I got into the event, it was closing, I had missed every stage event, and the only things left open were a few booths that were selling things trying to make some last minute dough (Bandai's booth for trading cards, that kind of thing). I resolved not to even bother going back on Sunday, and spent the rest of the weekend shopping and sightseeing. Never again.
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

I have been an anime fan since 2002 however my world was centered around DBZ for 2 years (meaning I didn't bother giving other anime titles a chance because i thought DBZ was the best so there would be no point in giving the rest a chance).

I have seen over 300 titles by now, most likely more.

It was in the 8th grade and a friend of mine was over and we were playing some n64 when around 5 PM he said he was going to go home and watch a TV show. Since I had nothing else to do I told him why not watch it at my house, it turned out the TV show was DBZ :D. Thats where I got my first exposure and became a hardcore DBZ fan for 2 years (still am but not half as much as I used to, I mean my life was surrounded by DBZ at the time lol).

This really varies. Its not odd for me to watch 100+ eps a week, my all-time-record is around 200 episodes a week. Due to school now I am unable to watch so much though. So instead I watch about 50 episodes from Friday-Sunday generally on a weekly bases unless I have a ton of HW or lots of studying that need to be done.

Juuni Kokki
One Piece
You're Under Arrest
DBZ
Irresponsible Captain Tylor

To lazy to think, but Yoko from Juuni Kokki would be on the list for starters.

I have tried watching anime with others, but I like it the best when I watch it by myself.

No.

Its not a rare occurance but it doesn't happen often. Sometimes Ill get an urge to rewatch a show and ill just do it, its not really planned. I have seen Juuni Kokki several times, ICT 2 times, Love Hina several times, RK 2 times and several other titles.

Interesting story... When I realized that as much as I would kill to be Keitaro from Love Hina (manager of an all-girls dormitory..) the reality of that is slim.
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
ryoendymion
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by ryoendymion »

probably since i was a wee child. i kinda grew up with it around.

about 150, give or take a bunch... :P

it was probably just a random show on tv. i started out in asia so it was just on tv during the day. maybe 'the dog of flanders'? for some reason, it pops up in my head...

0 lately... it's sad X|

(not in any particular order)
hellsing
angelic layer
slayers next
they were 11
yami no matsuei

(also not in any particular order)
sanada ryo - samurai troopers
mihara oujiro - angelic layer
integra hellsing - hellsing
sol lantis - mkr
mokona - various clamp (he's white and pink and fluffy and cute. what's not to like? ^^)

alone. my friends/family aren't fans

nope. too painful to listen to my own singing :wink:

absolutely!

hm.. not sure how interesting this is but when i was in college, a good guy friend suddenly got into watching anime with me. i was just starting s-cry-ed at the time so i thought maybe he was interested in it cause it was more a guy anime (he was into doing cg animation and stuff so i didn't think that logic was such a stretch). turns out he was more intested in me and, i don't know, thought indulging my anime quirk might help him get closer.... being kinda clueless about that sort of thing, i totally didn't get it then :x not until my roommate pointed it out months later.. X| but aaanyway, now i can't watch s-cry-ed without that memory popping up. it's not unpleasant or anything but it's just one of those things that'll stay with me
Image Image
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Since 2000, I think. I oldest daughter was in 8th grade.

I have seen over 200. Since this thread started, I went to ANN and tallied up the anime I’ve seen. 80% I’ve seen all of the series. The rest I’ve only seen part of the series b/c it is isn’t finished, isn’t available or I didn’t want to finish it.

We visited my in-laws for Christmas and my girls watched DBZ on CN with their cousins and got hooked while we were there. So I ended up asking what they were watching since it was all they would talk about. They were in 8th and 5th grade. I continued watching anime with them. It was great to have a common interest and keep communication going while both were in their teens. Now I watch way more than they do.

It depends on my work schedule. I still watch 5-10 a week even on a busy week. I’m terrible for starting a series and if it is short (26 episodes or less), watching the whole series in a couple days. I like to watch new series. I’ll watch one then move on to the next one. Both my girls like to rewatch series over and over.

5. What are your favorite animes? (top 5) no particular order

Inuyasha
Hikaru no Go (b/c of Lisa)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Shounen Onmyouji
Prince of Tennis (b/c of Stephanie)

6. Who are your favorite anime characters? (top 5) no particular order

Inuyasha – Inuyasha
Kenshin Himura – Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X
Ryoma – Prince of Tennis
Athrun Zala - Gundam Seed & Gundam Seed Destiny
Edward Elric - Full Metal Alchemist

I usually watch anime alone. I like to watch anime with either of my daughters when they will join me.

No…when watching the series I tend to skip them to get to the story, but I have several songs on CDs for my car and on a flash drive for my computer at work.

Definitely! I like to search for my cels and end up watching several episodes before I realize it. I just keep watching. I have done this for Inuyasha and Hikaru no Go several times. Gravitation is so short it’s easy to was over again. I also rewatch a series on CN or while I'm waiting for new episodes to come out.

I have a huge collections of anime t-shirts and wear them on weekend most of the time. I have been approached several times by strangers commenting about the series of the shirt I am wearing. One time a teenage boy walked by me and gave me a “thumbs up” nodding his head approving of my FMA shirt.

When I go into the Borders bookstore, I have to watch out for one clerk who always comes up to me in the manga section and tells me how much she love whatever series she has just started b/c she recognizes me since I am there so much.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I couldn't get very far through that Anime News Network's list, but I'll answer this now:

I became a fan of the artform around 1985-1987 because of Robotech, etc., but I didn't become an ongoing anime viewing "fan" until July 1996.

I think I have only completely finished watching about ?110-115 TV series. I usually don't finish the TV series anime that I start watching. I might only watch the first episode or two of something because I want to know how much I feel like collecting from it (if I ever see something from it that is). I want to have more collecting options so I don't become limited by supply, competition, price, etc. I hate finding out too late that I should have collected from something earlier. That kind of thing still happens anyway, but at least I've somewhat minimized it. :shrug

EDIT July 31, 2013:

As of Oct 24, 2007, the "Seen All" anime (by MAL's counting method):

133 TV series
379 OVA/ONA/Specials
90 Movies

I acquired a science-fiction video catalog in ?late 1995 and noticed it had anime tapes for purchase. Most of the English commercial anime tapes in it cost $34.95 for two TV episodes or $29.95 for one OVA episode. It was difficult for me to guess which one I should buy because I had no idea of what I'd like.

In ?early 1996 I bought a "Protoculture Addicts" magazine from a local newstand and it gave a good review to an anime called "Macross Plus". I ordered the first OVA tape for $29.95 and I was on my way. (I think the subbed version cost $29.95 and the dubbed version cost $24.95).

Mid-July to mid-Oct 2007 I averaged 13.7 regular-length episodes a week, but during the first three months of the year because the January 2007 anime season was one of my least favorite anime seasons ever I only watched around 8.9 regular-length episodes a week. (I don't count short length episodes)

I consider anime "favorites" if I can rewatch them right NOW. The anime I could most easily rewatch right now and enjoy repeat viewings of might be (at the moment):

D.N.Angel ------------------------------------- had a lot of themes and plot developments in it that I'm a sucker for.
Kanon (2006)
ONE ~ True Stories (ONE 2nd OVA) ------ had the greatest osananajimi character of all time in it. :D
Suika ("Wet Summer Days") OVA 2 ------ Ah...so poignant - especially considering it was only 28 minutes long. :bawl
Combustible Campus Guardress ---------- this anime parody always makes me want to ROFL :rollin

1. Manami Sugihara----(Sentimental Journey)
2. Wakana Ayasaki-----(Sentimental Journey)
3. Honoka Sawatari----(Sentimental Journey)
4. Itsuki Minase--------(Suika)
5. Yuu Nanase----------(Sentimental Journey)

But I mainly like the Sentimental Journey characters because of my experiences playing the Sentimental Graffiti 2 game.

So...behold! My top five favorite "non-Senti" anime characters:

1. Itsuki Minase--------(Suika)
2. Haruka Suzumiya---(Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien)
3. Sakura Matou-------(Fate/stay night)
4. Rin Tohsaka---------(Fate/stay night)
5. Mai Sakuragi--------(Doukyuusei)

I usually always watch anime alone. I used to watch anime with dad sometimes, but my current computer video card can't be hooked up to my TV. :(

Sometimes, but only when no one is around. :)

There aren't many anime that I feel like rewatching. I rewatched Maison Ikkoku thirteen times. I rewatched the Kakyuusei TV series eight or nine times. I don't think that was a good idea though because I got kind of burned out on those anime. :O

I can't really think of any. :bawl
Last edited by Keropi on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

Lemme see...I would say since 1996. 11 years :D

Ive seen about...6 LOL God I am so behind XD

My friend actually put one on although I cant recall the title. Was stuck ever since from the type of animation.

None recently. I am really weird.

Kenshin (tv and OVA)
Sailor Moon
Ayashi No Ceres
Bleach
Tenshi Ni Narumon

Shinta (wink wink) :love:
Kaoru - R. Kenshin
Usagi - Sailor Moon
Touya - Ayashi No Ceres
Aya - Ayashi No Ceres

I prefer by myself. My husband always makes comments then I want to kick him out lol

all the time lol

Thats all I really do now. Im content with what I have seen but I will slowlt work my way to others.

I watched Kenshin the whole way through non - stop. I sat there....through the tv show, then the ovas and the movie. My eyes were about to fall out of my head lol...

After I watched the OVAs I couldn't stop crying. My husband came home and thought someone died in the family...I honestly couldnt talk and I was covered in tears...poor guy lol X|

If I want to be emotional about it to everyone...Kenshin was a life-changing anime for me. I wont go into details but I will stress that I will never be the same again.