Getting to know your anime habits

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
sailorsv13
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by sailorsv13 »

1. How long have you been a fan of anime?

Ever since my first Sailor Moon episode one weekday morning in the summer while I was home alone....the best of times. Episode 39 actually! I have 4 cels from the episode! I can't remember how old I was...it was a looong time ago (before Cartoon Network).

2. How many animes have you seen?

I actually haven't seen many. Probably all of my favorites are all that I have seen! I am always looking for more but at the same time life gets in the way. But the trend is that I watch an anime, I start buying the cels...so maybe subconsciously I try not to watch new anime to relieve my wallet ^.^

3. By what means did you view your first anime as a fan?

On the television...jk Started watching cartoon network.

4. How many episodes of anime do you watch a week?

Well, it depends on the week. It's rather spontaneous because once I watch one episode I usually watch the entire season or most of it. Other weeks I try not to watch anything on purpose (unless it is a movie) for fear that I won't get any homework done!

5. What are your favorite animes? (top 5)

Sailor Moon (although I have expanded my horizons significantly)
Ah! My Goddess
Utena
Fruits Basket
Escaflowne

6. Who are your favorite anime characters? (top 5)

This is tough because I almost always like the hero/heroine however sometimes I lean toward a controversial character:

Cooan/Catzy (secondary villain from Sailor Moon)
Sailor Neptune (Sailor Moon) (but sometimes I like Uranus better, depends on the day)
Juri (Utena)
Rin (Spirited Away)
Nauiscaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind)

7. Do you watch anime with someone or alone?

Well usually alone. I generally prefer it that way, I hate it when I force someone to watch anime with me and then they ruin it by asking a bunch of questions. Some people just don't understand that you're not always supposed to have a clue what is going on at the beginning (or even the end sometimes!!!!). Trying to get my boyfriend to watch with me is always disastrous...he falls asleep during the best anime....so offensive!

8. Do you sing along with the OPs & EDs?

Heck yes! Haven't you ever HEARD the Utena opening Rinbu Revolution. Please view here if you haven't:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=0

I actually learned the Japanese lyrics so I can sing along because the English version just does not cut it. And I watch the opening with every Utena episode I watch ^.~

9. Will you rewatch a series over and over again?

Oh yes. The trend has been watch it once through for the first time, immediately rewatch it to make sure I didn't miss any juicy little thing!

10. Tell us an interesting story related to an anime series you watched.

When I watched Escaflowne for the first time I watched the entire thing in one day. Same day when my mom and little brother got home, I made them sit down and watch the entire thing with me again! Even more awesome was that they actually liked it and make reference to it to this day!
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

animeobsessed wrote:5. What are your favorite animes? (top 5) no particular order

Inuyasha
Hikaru no Go (b/c of Lisa)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Shounen Onmyouji
Prince of Tennis (b/c of Stephanie)

6. Who are your favorite anime characters? (top 5) no particular order

Inuyasha – Inuyasha
Kenshin Himura – Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X
Ryoma – Prince of Tennis
Athrun Zala - Gundam Seed & Gundam Seed Destiny
Edward Elric - Full Metal Alchemist
I knew I liked you for some reason. :P :wink:
Keropi wrote:Unfortunately there are still a number of them that aren't in there. Adult anime such as Tenkousei and Pendant are nowhere to be found. There should be many more OVAs on that list.
Since you're a member, you can add them to the list. :wink:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

duotrouble wrote:
Keropi wrote:Unfortunately there are still a number of them that aren't in there. Adult anime such as Tenkousei and Pendant are nowhere to be found. There should be many more OVAs on that list.
Since you're a member, you can add them to the list. :wink:
That's true, but if it's like how it used to be ANN would prefer if you e-mailed them a Japanese website (hopefully the original distributor) showing them info on the anime you want to add. And that's not very easy for me to do (especially for older anime that never came out on DVD)...since I'm not Japanese fluent. :)

For the Kakyuusei TV series, the Pink Pineapple Kakyuusei OVA and the Elf ban Kakyuusei OVA entiries I had to ask the ren'ai game Japanese fluent people for help to find an official websites. After a stub is started it becomes easy to build upon by others.

After those incidents where I got the ANN encylopedia guy to change the Mizuiro 2nd OVA rating from mature to general audience somebody went and changed the rating back to "Adults Only" twice because they thought they were dealing with the 1st ADULT OVA entry instead of the 2nd NON-adult OVA (even though both anime already had listings showing).

That kinda killed my enthusiasm for making ANN Encyclopedia changes. :P Some people need examine their information before adding them to a database. It's hard to change once they're in the database. People will assume that the original information is correct and that YOU are the one that's probably mistaken.
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

How long have you been a fan of anime?
I consider myself to be a fan since the early ‘90s.

But I’d watched Speed Racer, Robotech, Voltron, and some other things on videos and TV before then. Also, my Dad worked in Downtown Los Angeles near Little Tokyo, so I’ve been surrounded by brightly colored robots, spandex wearing bug men, and Godzilla since before I can remember. I had an Orgus action figure before I even knew about the show. I knew they were Japanese cartoons, TV shows and movies; but I didn’t think of it as a kind of subset of Pop-media. Later, I also knew of “Cult Japan-imation”, but I was a little kid; and I didn’t have the funds, or the wherewithal to search it out.

How many animes have you seen?
I don’t know.
… a lot.

By what means did you view your first anime as a fan?
I saw “The Guyver” OVA series in the “Cult Animation” section of my rental store in Junior High and I thought it looked cool.

How many episodes of anime do you watch a week?
I don’t watch Anime according to a schedule.

What are your favorite animes? (top 5)
The Guyver (1989-92 OVA Series)
Neo-Tokyo
Robot Carnival
Roujin Z
Wings of Honneamise
… but I like many other shows and l don’t limit myself to liking only 5.

Who are your favorite anime characters? (top 5)
Sho Fukamachi (Guyver)
Agito Makashima (Guyver)
Guy (Guy: Double Target)
Dunan (1988 Appleseed)
Chikuma Koshiro (Basilisk)
… but I like other characters and l don’t limit myself to liking only 5.

Do you watch anime with someone or alone?
It just depends on if I’m with someone who wants to see the show.

Do you sing along with the OPs & EDs?
Not usually.
… But I used to sing along with the Guyver OVA series.

Will you rewatch a series over and over again?
Sometimes
… if I liked it.

Tell us an interesting story related to an anime series you watched.
I don’t know.
But my love of 1980-90s OVAs and movies is probably thanks to whoever stocked the “Cult Animation” in “Video Journeys.” The rental store had most of the Streamline and AnimEigo releases. Now, since they liquidated their VHS stock, they’ve got almost nothing.
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

yay! i love talking about myself! :D

my little pony was originaly animated in japan (the first two episodes) and it was my childhood obsession. so that takes me back 20 years.

to be realistic, somewhere in the 100s. most of this includes old films or rare releases. i dont like a lot of mainstream or current anime, sorry.

tv. my little pony was first.

i watch IY and just started bleach. so that makes 10 episodes (5 a week? fuzzy math...) if i remember to watch.

all time top 5, in order:
1- the last unicorn
2- my little pony: pilot
3- my little pony special: escape from katrina
4- spirited away
5- nausicca

from the all time top 5:
1- the unicorn, "the last unicorn"
2- firefly, "my little pony: pilot"
3- sparkler, "my little pony: special"
4- haku, "spirited away"
5- nausicca, "naussica"

it used to be with my bf, now i watch it alone ;_;

of course.

yes, but not in the same day.

i now have roughly 700 my little ponies and counting. thanks, anime.
Silvrdrago
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Silvrdrago »

How long have you been a fan of anime?

off and on my whole life.......but dedicated......3 or 4 years.

How many animes have you seen?

Many Hundreds, i've seen almost everything dubbed, now working on Fan subs (prefer dub since i'm dyslexic)

By what means did you view your first anime as a fan?

back when i was 10 or 11 TBS (which later started Adult Swim) Used to play anime movies like macross 1 and 2, and Vampire Hunter D late at night on ocasions. I was facinated by them but didn't know what they were till much later in life.

How many episodes of anime do you watch a week?

At least 100....if i'm not busy double that

What are your favorite animes? (top 5)

last Exile (what more can i say)
Kare Kano (i know there are some gasps out there that it's not My number one....but last exile was incredible)
Nadia (one of the first anime i saw)
Rune Soldier Lioue (i'm very easily amused)
Berserk (......fantiastic)

Who are your favorite anime characters? (top 5)

Karinka (steel angel karumi)
Lavi (last Exile)
Yukino (kare kano)
Tsubasa (kare Kano)
Lafiel (crest of the Stars)

......i so want to add Caska from berserk to this list.....but that would make 6...and what about Maho form Kare kano....damn.....

Do you watch anime with someone or alone?

alone......my best friend has forbiden the mention of it

Do you sing along with the OPs & EDs?

no

Will you rewatch a series over and over again?

yes.......could quote lines and episode numbers in some cases

Tell us an interesting story related to an anime series you watched.

an anime story..........so after i bought my first anime cel i was so exited i showed my mother (i work in a family buisness).....first thing she says "oh that will atract a girl" . My mother is pritty good at putting her foot in her mouth.....to this day i don't let her live that down.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Okay, your mother is pritty good at putting her foot in her mouth .
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
cgscelgallery
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by cgscelgallery »

Since around 2000

Probably around100

I saw my first anime when the SciFi channel showed anime on Saturday mornings.

Usually 7-10 a week, I like to watch anime in the morning while I am eating breakfast.

5. What are your favorite animes?
Galaxy Express 999
Rose of Versaille
Fruits Basket
Cowboy Bebop
Escaflowne

6. Who are your favorite anime characters?
Inuyasha-Inuyasha
George-Paradise Kiss
Maetel-GE999
Spike-Cowboy Bebop
Suiseiseki-Rozen Maiden

By myself

No and you wouldn't want me to

Most of the time yes
It eluded us then, but ...tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further...and one fine morning- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

-F.Scott Fitzgerald
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Silvrdrago...I just realized that you're watching anime two to six times faster than episodes air in Japan. 8O

If you keep going at that rate, you could eventually end up watching almost everything. /no1
Silvrdrago
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Silvrdrago »

Silvrdrago...I just realized that you're watching anime two to six times faster than episodes air in Japan.

If you keep going at that rate, you could eventually end up watching almost everything.
Yeah, well a good chunk of that is rewatching stuff i've seen before, have a 5 disk changer that always has something new and something old in it. Then watch fan subs of good stuff.......not much patience for fan subs of crapy shows. but my anime intake is more heavely weighted on new release anime fan subs than US new releases.

That being said their are still many titles that elud me, have yet to find a copy of such a major title as Urusei Yatsura to simpile ones Like Battle Athelets.

Speaking of which if anyone knows where i can get a dvd set of Urusei Yatsura let me know.
Penguinton
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Penguinton »

Hmm...not sure :? ..Probably sometime in the mid 90's

Many! But I don't keep track...50ish perhaps?!

Laying half asleep watching tv when Sailor Moon came on. I was so impressed by the animation. It was so smooth and bright and the backgrounds seemed so detailed. And the characters were silly. It just captivated me like no other cartoon before.

Recently only about 5.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Sailor Moon
Blue Gender
Gunsmith Cats
Ghost in the Shell

Nausicaa (Nausicaa)
Kushana (Ditto)
Rally Vincent (gunsmith Cats)
Usagi (Sailor Moon)
Vegeta (DBZ)

Generally my sister watches anime with me. But depending on the series I'm occasionally alone.

Sometimes....

OH YEAH! I rewatch shows sometimes more than I watch new ones.

Well me and my sister were watching s-cry-ed together. And the story was starting to lose our intrest so we decided if the next episode didn't keep our attention we'll stop watching it. And it didn't so we quite...Only to find out that the very next episode was the last episode of the series. X| And we never did watch the last episode... :l
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

More than one hundred?
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Penguinton
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Penguinton »

Cloud wrote:More than one hundred?
Probably less than one hundred.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I don't have anything to say to that.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Cenbe
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Cenbe »

Well, I've only been a fan for about a year - a shameless noob!

This piqued my curiousity, so I actually checked my Netflix rental history, and I've seen 127 anime series and movies, though many of the series I've only watched a few episodes and didn't really find them interesting enough to complete. Plus there are quite a few that I simply bought because they weren't available on Netflix, or newer series that I have watched via fansubs, so total maybe 150.

Watched Spirited Away on TV with my kids. Was blown away by the epic scope of the story, the gorgeous colors and animation.

Average about 10-20.

5. What are your favorite animes?
Kamichu
Gunslinger Girl
Koi Kaze
Lain
Ghost in the Shell (both movies & series)

6. Who are your favorite anime characters?
Miko (Kamichu)
Batou (Ghost in the Shell)
Henrietta (Gunslinger Girl)
Mayuko (NieA 7)
Shizuku (Whisper of the Heart)

With my son if it's age appropriate (10 years old; he loves Angelic Layer!); the rest by myself. :(

Uh, croak maybe? In my head? Actually, though I know it's not the question, I've been amazed at the high quality of much anime music. Gunslinger Girl, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Lain, NieA 7, Chobits. Underscore for both GITS TV series is great, and all sound design/underscore for Lain is just fabulous!

Oh yes, certainly. I like to make sure I see both subbed and dubbed (if I can stand the dub!) to try and get as much of the subtleties of dialog as possible for a non-Japanese speaker. Plus there's always a lot of stuff I don't catch the first time as far as animation, the way shots are set up and executed, the way various problems in getting a scene across are solved (or not solved).

Well, maybe not interesting to anyone else, but for me, I've been amazed that I almost always have a strong positve or negative reaction to an anime right away from the first couple of minutes of beginning to watch it. It's not really a style thing either, because I like a variety of styles. But there's just something about the genre that is so intimate and somehow polarizing. I like to read the threads on forums that are about everyone's favorite animes, and the funny thing about it is that everyone is so different in their lists of choices. It seems to be a medium that speaks very personally to each individual.

Still, I try to watch at least the first disc of episodes even for anime that I'm not initially attracted to. This is mainly because my one exception to this "rule" for me was the show Kamichu, which I didn't care for at first but grew to become my all-time favorite. Maybe it's a matter of learning how to watch this stuff. I'll be the first to admit I still have a lot to learn!